RV Outdoor Mats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We love ours and use it every time we setup for more than just a single night stop while traveling.  $49 at Walmart is what we have.

Depends on the kind.  We ditched ours that looked like fake grass because the dirt and sand accumulated in it.  When wet it was almost impossible to roll up and put away.  Newer ones apparently are better.  Check some of our previous discussions for the pros and cons.  Many campgrounds with grass do not allow them because they kill the grass.  The beach should be okay.

ArdraF

We have one, but don't use it much. Not quite sure why we need to put a carpet down when outdoors. Wonder why we would want to be outside if we can't stand grass or sand under our feet? 

We found that we needed a big mat when we traveled out west where they have a lot of campgrounds that have gravel pads, we also use a smaller mat when travelling to keep a lot of the dirt from tracking in.  As for keeping sand out of the RV when in Florida, as the comedians say "rots o ruck", we just vacuumed frequently.

Ed

We have one for those times when either on a gravel campsite and wish to go bear foot or dirt campsites in the rain.  I think ours came from Camping World for $40 - $50.

Gary RV Roamer said:
We have one, but don't use it much. Not quite sure why we need to put a carpet down when outdoors. Wonder why we would want to be outside if we can't stand grass or sand under our feet?

Ha, ha Gary!  I love the feel of sand on my feet.  Just not where I sit or sleep. ;)

I thought the one I saw at Wal-Mart was pretty functional and porous enough to allow the sand and water to go through it, which is desirable. Still on the fence on this one as I am already spread thin on storage for my rig.

We didn't use a mat for years and years and then we got a real thin...I guess plastic or vinyl mat.  We love the way it keeps the dirt out of the trailer and if we have muddy or sandy shoes we take them off outside and we are standing on the mat and not dirt before going inside.  Also, if I sit in a chair and kick my shoes off outside my socks are not full of dirt and leaves when I slip the shoes back on.  Yup, I vote for the thin, very lightweight mats, easy to clean and store mats.

Gary RV Roamer said:

Grass and sand is fine Gary.  It's those darn rocks that bruise you up.  Seems every CG in this area has ground rock pads.

One thing you may want to check out, Ikea has some 12" sq snap together tiles that are pretty nice. A little pricey but they allow drainage in the rain as they are a slat type, made of wood and plastic. We only use these if we are going to be in one place for 2 or more weeks, but they do make a nice little patio our front of the RV.

I have what is supposed to be the newer vinyl, porous style which let's dirt and sand filter through -- right. It's very large, maybe 16' x 20' or so and very difficult for one person to fold up. Comes with a great storage bag and keeps it's folds so packs easily once folded. I fold mine on the picnic table if available.

I only stake it out if I'm staying more than a couple of nights and then I also put down a piece of carpet where you enter the "rug" and another where you enter the MH. Reason being is that it is impossible to clean on the road. Your outdoor shower won't do it and it is too big to hang in a car wash so I do mine on my driveway with a power washer when home. The best way to clean it while on the road would be to drape it over the picnic table when expecting rain.

Is it useful... yes, I continue to carry it because it takes up so little storage space and I barefoot it a lot.

I say yay.  It's better to have and not need all the time then need and never have.  We use ours mostly for the dogs when on a gravel lot so they have a place to lay. 

I like to toddle out the door in barefeet or socks and sit under the awning without getting my feet wet or dirty.
Right now I have a large, cheap piece of grasscloth from Home Depot. Only good for a couple of seasons.
A decent stake down mat is on my to do list from campingworld..

I am kind of anti-mat. Not that said I have one but this is what I find.

On gravel,  or concrete, They are nice.

On sand.. They get very very heavy and full of sand and you need to work hard to get the sand out after you use it.. Or you need to flush it out and let it dry before you leave.. Both are not easy.

On grass.. The grass will be very yellow when you roll up the mat and though it will recover... Well, why should you damage it?

Thus I do not often use mine.. But I do have one..

And Gary... I like your tag line.

We use an indoor/outdoor piece of carpet.  Went to Menards(like Lowes) bought a 6' wide piece and use it all the time.  Keeps a lot of dirt  out of the 5er.  When its wet, I just toss it in the pickup and lay it on the driveway to dry when we get home.  Use my shop vac to vacuum it when dry.  Very light weight when dry, no so when wet, but hang over something to let most of the water run out before storing.

We've not found much of a need for a mat at improved campsites but we use ours all the time when boondocking. it stakes down at all four corners and mid-span, which is very nice when it gets breezy and it does a pretty good job of getting some of the dirt off your boots before tracking it inside. It also helps prevent some of the dirt and weeds from getting into your storage bays when you're putting things away. We don't wash it off - two of us just lift up a corner, give it a couple of shakes and then fold it up and store it.

Kev

As I said, we have one and use it sometimes. Along with our fancy chairs, folding tables, sun umbrella, gas grill,  and all the other comforts and conveniences of home. But sometimes I have to step back and wonder about the sense of it all, and that usually results in a good belly laugh at ourselves.  ::)

I agree Gary. Sometimes I smile watching people setup. watched a couple last year up in New Hampshire spend over an hour putting out lawn decorations and lights and carpeting.
I have ben getting buy with a good door mat. Helps keep out the dirt but is easy to store.
Yes it makes me smile, hear I am siting in a moor home bigger and with better abominations than the first apartment I had. Yes this is camping.
Bill

My wife bought one of those monsters at Wallyworld, I can't say I am a big fan. It looks nice and keeps dirt/sand from being tracked in but is a bloody nuisance to fold up when wet and dirty. Even on a nice night it gets wet from dew. I would prefer a smaller mat at the steps.

Kevin Means said:
We've not found much of a need for a mat at improved campsites but we use ours all the time when boondocking. it stakes down at all four corners and mid-span, which is very nice when it gets breezy and it does a pretty good job of getting some of the dirt off your boots before tracking it inside. It also helps prevent some of the dirt and weeds from getting into your storage bays when you're putting things away. We don't wash it off - two of us just lift up a corner, give it a couple of shakes and then fold it up and store it.

Kev

Same here, Kevin. I think we are talking about the light weight mats...roughly 8x12. not very expensive.  We used it about 4-6 times in our travel and stowed it for the remainder of travels.

Problem was when I tried to use it one more time 3 years later, it actually fell apart...ripped like a piece of  rotten plastic cloth. Nothing lasts fore ever.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CampMike2270
Back
Top Bottom