Another successful ukulele concert

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tom

Administrator
This evening 35 Delta Strummers performed at a local Del Webb community. Since they were having a luau, we included several additional Hawaiian songs, interspersing them with our non-Hawaiian numbers. We also had two hula dancers perform.

I was watching audience reaction, and they were clearly engaged with, and enjoying the show. They also sang along on several numbers.

I woke up this morning with a sore throat (first time in a long time) and thought "bummer! I won't be able to sing". After belting out our opening number, I decided to nurse my throat through most of the show, saving my voice for my closing solo. I struggled through the first verse, then knew I was on the home straight for the next two verses. Phew!

The next three weekly 'practices' will be opened up to new (to the band) numbers introduced by band members. Proposed new songs have to be performed in front of the band by the person(s) wishing to introduce them, or by someone who agrees to perform on their behalf. This process provides lots of music options for the upcoming season.

I'm just starting to learn to play the blues on the uke, but I won't be ready to audition a song in the next three weeks. Maybe in time for our Spring 2015 season.

I've settled in to playing 3 instruments for our uke concerts:
  • 8-string tenor ukulele on Hawaiian numbers.
  • Concert banjo ukulele on selected numbers.
  • Concert 'Fluke' ukulele on all other numbers.
All 3 ukes are re-entrant (GCEA) tuned, which helps minimize brain farts while switching between instruments in a 'live' show. Although tuned the same, they produce significantly different sound.

We introduced a 'fun' twist into this performance; For non-Hawaiian numbers, band members put on goofy hats. It was the first time we've tried this, and audience reaction was very clearly positive. As in most of our performances, a few band members played alternate instruments (gut bucket, washboard, and harmonica) on a few numbers.

Courtesy of forum member Robert (aka caltex, who was in the audience), we have the first photos from the show. I'm expecting more  photos from audience members.

Attachments

• uke_band2.jpg
    uke_band2.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 15
  • rhythm2.jpg
    rhythm2.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 13
  • Closer2.jpg
    Closer2.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 12
Hula dancers.

Attachments

• Hula1.jpg
    Hula1.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 10
  • Hula2.jpg
    Hula2.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 10
You're welcome Larry. We had a blast performing. It's interesting to see the whole band develop and improve, and perform well together.

The next three weekly 'practices' will be opened up to new (to the band) numbers introduced by band members. Proposed new songs have to be performed in front of the band by the person(s) wishing to introduce them, or by someone who agrees to perform on their behalf. This process provides lots of music options for the upcoming season.

Last evening's 'open mic' session was another eye opener. In addition to the 'new' songs presented, the talent among the various performers was amazing. Some of these numbers will end up being performed as solos, some as breakout ensembles, and some by the entire band. I can't wait to see what the next two open mic sessions produce.

Meanwhile, I need to get practicing the songs I'll present; Haven't yet narrowed down the choices.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kstoybox
Back
Top Bottom