Alaska bound

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rene T

Site Team
My DW and I just purchased a used Lance truck camper. We are starting to plan for a trip to Alaska next summer. We have a 38' Montanan but didn't want to drag it all the way to Alaska from NH and back. I've heard that the roads aren't the best. We figure it will be much easier with the truck camper. So I guess the first question would be is when is the best time to go. We are both retired so time is not an issue in fact I'm planning on taking at least a month and a half to two months. Any advise will really help. We've been RV'ing for nearly 30 years so it will not be new to us.

DW and I went to Alaska 12 years ago. I would hope that the roads would have continued to improve during that time. The roads as a whole were not as bad as I had been led to believe. When you see a sign that indicates a rough road the rough road will be at the sign not 100 feet down the road. There will be areas of road repair. In both cases ... slow down! We left Alabama the 20th of May and took about 2 weeks to get to Canada. (Went through California). We felt that the timing was good and if we were to go again we would go again about the same time. We spent 99 total days on the road, so we spent around 2 months in Alaska. We had to get home because of a previous commitment. We wished that we could have spent another 2-3 weeks in Alaska.  Talked to a lot of people. Studied the travel groups agendas. Wrote the Alaska State Travel Agency and they sent us information on BC, Alberta, Yukon and Alaska. Buy and use The Mile Post. Enjoy the trip.
My brother-in-law owned a Lance and I owned a class A. We traveled and camped together. I believe that you will enjoy traveling to AK in the Lance.

Frank. 

Rene T said:
We are both retired so time is not an issue in fact I'm planning on taking at least a month and a half to two months. Any advise will really help.

We entered Canada on  May 25 and reentered the USA on September 20.  We spent nearly a month traveling through Canada before we reached Alaska. We were never bored.  There is  much  to see and do, it is a big state.  My journal is in  the RVForum Library  under Trips.  Brewer's 2006 Alaska trip. Take as long as you have! 

Frank Hurst said:
Buy and use The Mile Post. Enjoy the trip.
Frank.

This advice from Frank is the best you will get for traveling through Canada, Another good guide is Alaskan Camping by Mike & Terri Church.
We left the Texas Coast 28th May 2005 & spent our first night June 30th in Alaska. We pulled a 30ft 5th wheel the roads through Canada were much better than we expected, You will run into some construction just slow down & enjoy, when you see a sign that says rough road slow done they mean rough road. We left Alaska around Sept !st, some cold weather but no roads closed dew to weather. If we had the choice you have I would take the Lance you will have more choices of back country camping if that is your thing. We were gone a total of 3 &1/2 months if I were going again ( and we hope to someday ) I would leave the coast around the 15th of May & Leave Alaska Sept 15.Enjoy & have a safe trip 

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom