A little German History--- personified.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

carson

Yes, I am of German descent. Born in Flensburg in 1935 May 23. (May 23 1945.. a famous date if you read the article). At age 16 my family of 4 emigrated to Canada. My family had no affiliation with the **** party, just hardworking folks on small farm enterprises.

Talk about old Cities. The tale of 2 countries.

For History buffs here is the link. >>>  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flensburg

Anyone have similar stories to tell ?

Well Carson.. I'm only half German (mother's side of the family) her family is kind of a long distance trace.. Her Mother came to the USA from Odessa which I believe is actually in Russia but is German in nature.. Her Father.. It appears was born in the US, again into a all German house.  Her brothers did have sort of a relation with the Nazis.. They fought and fought well against them as part of the US Navy and Army Air Corps.  Earning a few Medals in the process.

Grandmother and grandfather met in Canada, Were married and had a bunch of children, Mother was the only one born in the USA.. Grandfather was a refrigeration engineer and thus had one of the first Refrigerators in Los Angles.. he converted an ice box.

My mother's folks immigrated to the US in 1851 from County Clair, Ireland during or just post potato famine. My Great Grand Father became a wealthy farmer in Iowa, too bad he had a bunch of worthless kids, that is to say, the children, (my Grand parent) squandered away the acreage, and wealth after my Great Grandfather's passing. My mother's family emigrated to Henderson, Nevada in the 1930s looking for work in the defense department factories that had sprung up in the area.

My father's family were share croppers in Arkansas who couldn't make a living so they moved to Oklahoma and were share croppers on 600 acres in Pierce, OK in the late 1800s. And of course, history knows what happened to Oklahoma during the dust bowl and subsequent economic depression of 1929 through the 1930s. In 1932 my family packed up Grapes of Wrath style and emigrated West. They began the trip with 23, a Model T truck and two Model A cars with all of their belongings strapped to the hood, fenders,and roof. As the story goes they ran out of money in Needles, CA. They made their way to Las Vegas to seek work on the dam (Boulder Dam), but you needed to know how to read and write and none of my father's family qualified at the time.

I am the first generation off the farm on both my mothers and fathers family.

My maternal grandmother was born in Iowa, her parents emigrated from the Bayern area of Germany I believe in the 1880's. Part of the family was in northern Germany near the Danish border so my mother was told to say she was Danish, not German, during school years in WWII.
The whole family later moved to central Idaho, still have distant cousins there, then my great grandparents moved with the youngest children to Alberta. My grand parents met there, he was from South Dakota and had worked his way west on the railroad. Great grandparents returned to Idaho after a short time, probably couldn't take the winters.
I told mother I was glad they came and that I had not been born in the U.S. When she asked why I replied I likely would have been drafted and sent to Viet Nam. For the record, I did serve in the Canadian Forces.

A look at the past:
In Bremerhaven (Germany) they built the museum ?Auswandererhaus?.
At the end of WWII Bremerhaven was the port oft the US Army for he troops in Germany until 1993. And in Bremerhaven Elvis Presley (as a soldier) first touched European soil.
But Bremerhaven also was one of the major harbors of emigration from Germany since 1852. And that's what the museum is about.
I live in Bremerhaven since a few years, visited the museum ? and will visit it again. Very impressive.
You can visit it too: http://www.dah-bremerhaven.de/english.php

Back
Top Bottom