What vehicles do you tow with?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mommadana

We visited the forum years ago for our RV but with kids getting older we need to look at more teen friendly drivability than our 3500 Chevy Express and 24 footer bumper pull trailer.  Can you get a tent trailer that will still sleep 6-8 and pull it with a minivan or something small?  Of course, gas mileage increase would be awesome too. ;)  If a few can comment on their tow vehicle and tent trailer weight that would be great.  I don't need to hear about large trucks or vans but maybe smaller SUVs etc. would be ok.  Thanks!

I pulled a Coleman Sante Fe with my Chevy Uplander minivan without any problems....I think if the trailer is around 2500 lbs and you are not overloaded with supplies, you should be good

Minivans are usually limited to 2000-3000 lbs of tow capacity. That amount is diminished by the weight of passengers and gear in the van, so don't plan on max trailer weight if there will be 6+ people in the van. There are pop-ups that will come in at just under 3000 lbs (gross weight, not the empty or "dry" weight) and sleep 6-8, but you would probably want to bring along a tent for some of the kids. Use the tent as both a kids club house and sleeping area. Larger pop-up trailers can run to 31 ft when open and have space for a gang, but they are going to substantially exceed the capability of a minivan.

A mid or full size SUV would give wider choices of trailers by increasing tow capacity to 4000-7000 lbs. Something like a Chevy Traverse can seat 6-8 and tow 5000 lbs while still delivering reasonable fuel economy in everyday use.

My last minivan I towed with has a 3500 tow package.  With the camper loaded and van loaded with kids luggage and bikes. It was far passed lover loaded.  Would start. Getting hot on up hill climes.  And had to turn on the heat in the summer. Fun.  I'd stick with a full size van with a v8

my 1996 jayco eagle 8 weighs about 2100 lbs and I drag it around with a 2007 Ford EScape v6 4wd and you wouldn't even know it's back there , of course where I live a speed bump is considered a hill , it's flat as a flitter here in the southern tip of SC . I GET 18-19 MPG TOWING .

I wish. My g20 Chevy convention van with  350 towing a 6900lbs travel trailer got 7.5 to 9 mpg on its last road trip

My Subaru Outback with the 6 cylinder engine is rated for 3000 pounds towing. Would that cover your pop up?

I have a 2002 Explorer V8 and a 2006 Fleetwood Popup that I'm guessing weighs about 2500 lbs loaded and wet.  It does fine but I take it pretty easy keeping the transmission out of OD since it's an older vehicle.  Some of the newer V6 vehicles have as much or more power than our V8 Explorer and get better MPG's.  If we were to get a new tow vehicle, I'd be confident with just about any new V6 SUV such as the Kia Sorrento, Honda Pilot, Toyota Highlander, etc.  Just make sure you have the factory tow package because some of them are only rated to tow 1500 lbs without the right features.  Definitely wouldn't do it with a 4 cyl though.  The tongue weight on my trailer is about 350 lbs including two lpg tanks and one battery.  Anything more and I'd probably add a weight distributing hitch to the trailer. 

I tow my Starcraft Starflyer 8 (1400 lbs, 1800 GVWR) with my Pontiac Vibe 2007 (rated 1500.) I have electric brakes and I've installed transmission cooler (B&M 70264) and custom 2" hitch receiver so I can use a WD system to help spread the tongue weight. Handles pretty well but I don't plan on doing any off road or steep hill climbing. :)

Back
Top Bottom