Need to smooth/level a plywood subfloor for vinyl tile installation...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chrystov

Hello!  I have a 1998 Four Winds class C purchased less than a year ago.  The original carpet was pretty bad so I pulled it up and want to install peel-and-stick vinyl tiles, which will be much easier to install than a sheet of flooring.  I intend to also use a contact cement to ensure a tight bond.  I'm also not too concerned about some imperfections showing through but I do want to make this look decent.  In my hallway by the shower, the plywood subfloor is strong but has a few places where it dips and will not look too good once the vinyl conforms to it.  I read about a flexible floor filler and leveler by DAP ( http://www.lowes.com/pd_132892-68-59190_0__?productId=3011842 ) that sounds good for this application but I cannot find anyone who carries it locally. 

Does anyone have any other ideas about what product or method I could use to level and prep this plywood floor?  I don't want to use a product that will be too stiff considering this is a motorhome and should be a little forgiving and not crack.  A standard wood filler came to mind but I am not sure on the adhesion/durability for a flooring.  Thoughts?

I would, but the Lowes website doesn't let you add to cart without selecting a store first that carries it.  None in my state have it.  Deliver to store is not an option.  It just says "Currently unavailable" on every store.  Maybe DAP discontinued it?  Can't get it from Home Depot either.  This is why I was asking about alternatives.

Try this.  http://www.dap.com/product_details.aspx?BrandID=105&SubcatID=18.  Go to their web site and at the top click on the tab "Where to buy". Scroll down and fill in the information and you can find out where to purchase that product in your area.

It's strange but both Lowes near my home both carry it.

I used the DAP.  It worked pretty well.  Give your subfloor a good sanding with coarse sandpaper. 
Knock down the high spots.  There's no point in filling up all the low spots to the height of the highest spots.
Then use the DAP to fill in the low spots (valleys).  Give it another sanding if it has any trowel marks.
Repeat if you still have low spots.

Have you considered Allure click-lock vinyl planks?  It's a floating floor instead of peel and stick.  Because of the temperature extremes most of our RV's encounter, a floating floor will be more forgiving than a glued floor that will try to separate itself from the subfloor when it moves.

It's not discontinued - I just checked at my present "near me" location and half dozen Lowes have it.  However, parcel post delivery is not available for that item, so it has to be something Lowes can truck to a store.

I've used the DAP and was not real impressed, but that was mostly because I needed to sand it after to level the surface. It is too soft and flexible to sand, so you better trowel it right the first time! I would probably use one of the harder floor patch products.

We put Allure in or previous trailer and loved it.  Guaranteed for life.  Easy to install.

I used Bondo auto body putty on my last 5th wheel where a section of floor had to be replaced. It worked great, sanded well and made a very smooth transition that could not be seen after laying tile. Available at every auto parts store.

Durhams Rock Hard Water putty is what I use for patching, etc. If you use contact cement and have to pull up a tile to reposition - you will pull up the patch, also

Another vote for Allure. I used it to replace the "stick down" vinyl squares which didn't stick in my previous MH. Allure is as easy to put down as squares and winds up looking good and providing a waterproof seal.

Ernie

Durham's Rock Putty is great stuff (I use it on some things too), but flexible it is not. Literally, rock hard. I think Ernie is essentially saying that flex is not really an issue. I've got a lot of ceramic tile in my coach and it is installed with traditional mortar (aka thinset) and very much non-flexible. But the floors ion some RV brands flex more than others.

2nd the vote for bondo. I started using it when I put in wood base board, one of the guys on a "pro" crew told me bondo makes the best wood filler because it trowels well, sands well and paints well. I've used it to fill nail holes in plywood base, works very well.

Back
Top Bottom