old dog cant climb steps anymore

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Tom lifted our yellow lab over/up the steps the last two years of her life.  If we had her now, at our present age and condition, we would have to consider some sort of ramp.  It will be interesting for us to follow the suggestions you receive.

I recently purchased this telescoping ramp for Ringo after he suffered his second ACL tear in two years.  He currently uses it to get on/off my bed (I have a very high cannonball bed).  I intend to carry it in the motorhome for his access.  It will fit into any of my lower bays or under the couch, which ever proves to be the most convienent.

My problem is probably going to be to teach him the patience to wait for me to get it into place before leaping in and out.

I'm also going to have to start looking or building this summer as my lab is getting up there in years. She is having a hard time getting up the steps and getting into the back of the car so I need dual purpose.

Been there with a large dog and I lifted him (and more) through his last days. It's a sad part of pet ownership. This time, I got smaller dogs that'll be easier to lift. Next time, I probably better get dogs who can lift me!

http://www.solvitproducts.com/ has some mobility products (ramps, stairs and lifting aids) that might help.  A Google search likely will give more options.  Hope you find a comfortable solution that works for both you and your golden.

Jennifer

If it's rear hips and the front legs are still strong you can get a sling that goes around them and help assist just the rear. You can also use a beach towel and fold in into about a 4-6" band. Place it around the abdomen just in front of the rear leg/hip area. We did this for out black lab so she could make it upstairs to the bedroom.

Big Bad Allis said:
If it's rear hips and the front legs are still strong you can get a sling that goes around them and help assist just the rear. You can also use a beach towel and fold in into about a 4-6" band. Place it around the abdomen just in front of the rear leg/hip area. We did this for out black lab so she could make it upstairs to the bedroom.
Jason, I do have the sling for Ringo's use on his bad days.  It works okay, but best if you have two people to keep his mind on the objective of moving forward.  Pushing doesn't work too well. ;) :D

We have been using an extendable ramp - think it came from PetSmart - as we have had several older dogs. One thing that makes it better for the dog is to have a roll of carpeting the width and length of the ramp and roll it out. It gives them much better traction and confidence going up and down.
We set the top of the ramp on the top step - not the doorway itself - and to the hinge side of the door, that way you can leave it in place and still use the steps yourself.
Just have to make sure the door is open before they head up the ramp !

We are to that point with our dogs and luckily they are smaller. Some days they can go up and down by themselves, some days they get hurt in the attempt so we just started carrying them.

We have two large dogs. We use a doggie ramp since one weighs 110# and the other one weighs in at 70#. To large to lift.

My son who is a vet got one of these a while back and says it really helps.
http://abcnews.go.com/Health/laser-therapy-staves-off-pets-arthritis/story?id=12974694

I'm going to try it on my foot next time I go there.

WE needed a long ramp so it would not be to steep, made one of 14 in wide half inch plywood with 2x2 .s attached under the edges. cut it into two 4 ft pieces and hinged them together with two gate hinges so it would fold up when not in use and was stable when the dogs walked on it ,
Covered the top with rubber non slip stuff and secured that with half in wide stripping in the edges and every 3 ft across the ramp and the top and bottom.
folded IT WAS 4 FT x 14 INCHES AND STORED IN THE BACK SEAT OF THE TRUCK.
lasted many years  Porkchop is gone now and walking on clouds 
Howard

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom