Looking at pop-ups, hoping for some recommendations

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vito55

Looking at hard sided pop-ups, just for my wife and myself, that we can tow with our 2011 Subaru Outback with the 6-cylinder engine (listed as capable of towing 3000 lbs.) Unfortunately two of the three brands we have been interested in all have their nearest dealerships several hundred miles from us, so I am hoping for some comments before making the first-look trip. The brands are Chalet, Forest River Rockwood, and Trail Manor. A quick phone call to a dealer of each brand come up with a phone estimate of low $20's for a nicely equipped new unit for the Chalet and Trail Manor and less for the Rockwood. We are brand new to this and looking for any recommendations we can get.

I'm not a fan of pop ups or hi-lows because you can't use the fridge or toilet while traveling, and because they don't keep outside sound levels down for sleeping.

For a price in the low $20k, you could go many other options. I'd rather spend the money on tents if you don't have room for storing a hard side RV.

Others are sure to disagree. Sorry for tossing a wet blanket your way.

For that price you could probably get into a tiny trailer like the Scamp. Sorry, I don't have any experience with popups (did see one pulled by a motor cycle a while back, it even had an air conditioner). ;D

Ernie

I began my RVing experience in a pop-up. I believe they are a great way to get started in RVing.

When pop ups were more reasonably priced, they were an excellent entry level camper. Ours was around 4K new and we sold it for 3K four years later. I'd have to think long and hard about paying 20K for a pop up.

HappyWanderer said:
When pop ups were more reasonably priced, they were an excellent entry level camper. Ours was around 4K new and we sold it for 3K four years later. I'd have to think long and hard about paying 20K for a pop up.

A pop-up is something I'd only buy used and you can find good deals on relatively "new" used units in the 4k-8k range. Just today my son came home from a tent camping trip complaining and I recommended he start where we started when he was 1-year old, a gently used pop-up.

But you're right, I'd have to think long and hard about a 20k+ pop-up trailer. 

While I no longer have it, I can highly recommend the Aliner.  They make several models that vary in size and you will find one towable by your Outback.

We own an Aliner Classic 2003 and love it. We pull it with our Toyota Rav4. We bought it last fall for $4600 and it was brand new since it had spent all 10 years of its life in a garage and was never taken out. We still had to remove labels, clips etc! We made several trips with it including from Phoenix to Edmonton Canada.

It pulls beautifully and we really do not notice that it is behind us. We love the hard walls and can set it up in 35 seconds (timed by our neighbour who did not believe us).  BUT, yes it had a small fridge. We have a portapotty to use at night. The sitting space is limited but you may spend evening sitting at the fire.

The Trail Manor folded is is enormous and the Outback will look dwarfed by it!  You will need large mirror extensions to see past it since your rear view mirror will not let you look over it. Even with the Aliner we bought a mirror extension but just needed the kind that attaches with a suction cup.

I am sure where you live, but the largest and best known dealer in popups is Dannys. Have a look at their website: http://www.dannyscampers.com/

We all have different camping styles. Two years ago we had both a small dome tent and an A class Winnebago and enjoyed using both.  Do your homework and think out carefully what you NEED and what you WANT!

Elly

My first rv was a Coleman Taos.  8 foot bed.  Pulled with a Corolla.  995 lbs.  Lots of good memories.  Something that small means you need to keep most everything in the tow vehicle because you have to move everything to get to anything.

Then came the 5th wheel and sold the Taos.  Lots of good memories.

Wife decided she loved the people, hated camping.  So the 5er goes on musters, rallies and to Key West for the winter.

New popup for my solo adventures is a Forest River Flagstaff 12 foot bed, 2800 lbs, ac, furnace, refrigerator, water heater, water pump.  $10k. The Dodge one ton diesel pulls it with no problem.

For the Subaru, I would suggest a "normal" popup with 10 foot bed.  My 12 foot, 2800 lb would probably be pushing a Subaru as would a hard wall popup.

I looked at the Aliners. Cramped inside. I like to get off the road mid afternoon and relax for a while before & after dinner.  The popup gives me lots of open airy room.  It takes me an hour to set-up or tear down.  Thats from getting it in the right place to Miller time, or from deciding to roll to ready to roll.  Leveling, hookups, putting stuff away... will be the same.

If you roll in, set up, sleep, tear down, roll then a Aliner would be good. 

Before spending $20K on a new hardside, buy a used popup and see how that works for you.

Joel

We had a Rockwood and really liked it - very good quality. Ours was relatively big as far as popups go (18' long closed up and over 4,000 lbs loaded). I'll echo what other have said about the pricing - sounds like the dealer is either inflating the price or prices have really risen. We bought ours in 2003 as a new leftover and only paid about $7,000 for it.

We paid around $8 or 10,000 for our slightly used Fleetwood but I wouldn't call it a "pop-up". It has a furnace, A/C, shower, toilet, oven, stove, microwave, indoor and outdoor stereo, outdoor barbecue, double bowl sink, 3-way refrigerator and freezer and sleeps at least 5. All for less than $10,000. The 20's sound excessive.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom