RR replacement

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Art In Mobile

I have just started removing the Norcold 1201 & will install a Samsung 197. I wonder if that cheep 600 watt inverter that Winne put in will run the Samsung with ice maker off & on econo mode?  I have never use that inverter in the 8 years I have had the Rv. Hate to get a new one & find Samsung will work on the old one.  Anyone have any thoughts? Thanks in advance Art

Art - is the fridge self-defrosting, if so that might put too much of a load on the inverter and it would go into overload shutdown?  There is another consideration - cheap inverters are square wave output and the Samsung compressor might not do well with it.  Check with Samsung before you run it on your inverter (assuming it can handle the load.)

Thanks John,  I at 67 open heart (quad) Pulled that 1201 out this afternoon myself. Got it on the ground by using small rugs & a blanket. Will pay the delivery man to help me set the new one in.  Will use your great Velcro idea to keep doors shut. Thanks for all you do on this site. Art

Does your inverter even feed the circuit that powered the previous fridge? Often they did not, or only powered the ice maker. I ask, because the twin electric heaters in a 1201 probably exceed what the Samsung draws. And the ice maker in the 1201 was probably electrically identical to the one on the Samsung as well.

A 1201 uses 660 watts of 120vac, so more than your inverter was rated for. Check the rating on the Samsung - it should be on a sticker inside the door or on the back.

Thanks Gary, When the Samsung gets here I will check it out but will probably get a new inverter.

Art,

Samsung RF197 has a inverter build in which makes a squarewave or full sinewave irrelevant. It works fine with either type of inverter as I understand it, which is one issue  that makes it so well adaptable to the RV environment.

John's suggestion will work with this fridge. You'll just have to determine the startup current. I am sure someone will chime in with that number.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Opal6502
Back
Top Bottom