tips for crossing into canada on the west coast

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rod6882

Hello
I m planning a trip to Vancouver Canada from Seattle in a couple of weeks and am looking for any tips with regards to crossing the boarder. Also is fuel cheaper in Washington or Canada? I have a 45ft rv and will be towing the car.
Thanks
Rod

Fuel up before you cross, believe me. Even with the purchasing power of the American dollar our prices will give you heart failure. Generally speaking, wait times are a little shorter at the truck crossing, exit 276, plus there are duty free shops which Peace Arch lacks going north. Absolutely NO handguns, hunting rifles and shotguns are allowed with proper documentation and no fresh produce. Have your passports ready and enjoy the trip, we are a friendly bunch.

The map show a toll on hwy 1. Do you know the cost and should it be avoided? We going to Burnaby rv park. Do board or search the rv?
Rod

The toll is on the Port Mann bridge. There is no booth, a camera snaps your plate and you are mailed a bill. I don't know how they would enforce it in your case.
From the border crossing go straight north on 15 to highway 1 then west to Burnaby, don't even attempt to navigate traffic with your rig through the city via 99.

rod6882 said:
The map show a toll on hwy 1. Do you know the cost and should it be avoided? We going to Burnaby rv park. Do board or search the rv?
Rod

Sometimes Canadian border officials will come aboard.  You are not allowed to be in the RV while they are inspecting it,  so we've never been sure what they are looking for.  We usually cross with only a few questions.

Jeannine

Rod,

We just crossed using the Truck route (543/15). RVs have to use the "regular" lanes (vs the Bus or Truck Lanes). The approach is tight for large RV (we're 43ft plus toad) as the lanes do a right turn left turn (S) right near the booths. There were only two lanes open the morning we crossed with about a 20 minute wait. I had to "push" to the very right edge of my lane to make the last left turn and get lined up for the booth. The booth itself is very narrow with only inches on each side of my mirrors. The two small RV we saw ahead of us were both sent for inspection, but we gave them our passports and answered the questions: Have you been in Canada before: When: More than 10,000 cash: Any firearms: What is the purpose and length of your stay. Have a nice day, and off we went.

The toll bridge fare can be paid online and it is cheaper to do that than wait for the bill in the mail ($12).

Have a good trip

ken

RoyM said:
Fuel up before you cross, believe me. Even with the purchasing power of the American dollar our prices will give you heart failure. Generally speaking, wait times are a little shorter at the truck crossing, exit 276, plus there are duty free shops which Peace Arch lacks going north. Absolutely NO handguns, hunting rifles and shotguns are allowed with proper documentation and no fresh produce. Have your passports ready and enjoy the trip, we are a friendly bunch.

handguns are not allowed! documentation or not. shotguns and rifles allowed if proper documentation and purpose is supplied. if u have any felony convictions even as simple as a DWI u may not be allowed in. Fuel is approximately $4.70 per us gallon per US dollar (slightly higher in Vancouver area).Answer questions directly and friendly and you will have zero problems coming to Canada.have passports ready and no fresh fruits or vegtables.if u have over 10K cash just declare that you have and its not a big deal(same as US requires you to do)watch your booze amounts. there are limits

I mostly have concerns with clearance. Sometimes toll booths are so tight I worry about hitting mirrors. It sounds like motorhomes just use the car lane.
Rod

Ran into a real jerk of a border guard entering into Sweet grass Montana. Our turn to approach the booth so I did. Pulled up and set the air brake as I did not want the coach with the car on the back to roll away. Guard in the booth had his door open and started in on me right away. Saying I should be sitting there listening to everyone pull up and apply their air brakes all day long. On and on he went. I was thinking, buddy get a new career. I wanted to say close your door until the brakes are set and all would be well. He finally let us pass. On  the way back, a different guard was in the booth, so before I set the brakes I mentioned to him to maybe close his door as the air brakes are loud, he did and all was well. One should not have to suggest this to them should one?

billwild said:
Ran into a real jerk of a border guard entering into Sweet grass Montana. Our turn to approach the booth so I did. Pulled up and set the air brake as I did not want the coach with the car on the back to roll away. Guard in the booth had his door open and started in on me right away. Saying I should be sitting there listening to everyone pull up and apply their air brakes all day long. On and on he went. I was thinking, buddy get a new career. I wanted to say close your door until the brakes are set and all would be well. He finally let us pass. On  the way back, a different guard was in the booth, so before I set the brakes I mentioned to him to maybe close his door as the air brakes are loud, he did and all was well. One should not have to suggest this to them should one?

you said entering into Sweet grass Montana? this guy is asking about going into Canada.To note  at the border huts in Canada there are signs that ask you not to use the air park brake.They ask you to just keep your foot on the service brake.

I suggest you avoid using the Hwy-15, Pacific Highway crossing with a big rig. It is very difficult to navigate without intruding into another lane.

You have two other border crossing alternatives and both are better for big rigs. The Douglas Crossing (Peace Arch) on Hwy-5 is and easy crossing for large RVs, especially coming north. There are no sharp bends in the approach lanes and the inspection stations provide enough space e to cross comfortably. You can also turn north in Bellingham and go north through Lindon, WA to the Lyndon / Aldergrove Crossing. It is an older crossing but almost straight all the way through. The road north of this crossing connects with the Trans Canada Hwy-1 and that takes you into Burnaby, passing just a few blocks from the Burnaby Cariboo R.V. Park.

I live just a few miles from both the Douglas and Pacific Hwy crossings and I drive by both to use the Aldergrove Crossing for our 43 ft. The advise on fueling up in the US before crossing into Canada was spot-on. Fuel costs are much higher here, enough so that I cross over the border to fuel up in WA state.

Sumas border crossing  is always a good place.just go north at Bellingham and cross at sumas.its only 5 minutes to#1 from sumas which takes u into Vancouver
not sure of your destination and this may a longer way to go

Thanks for all the advise. I have always used the car and have not payed attention. This time we decided to take the rv and will be staying at the Burnaby caribou park. This is a quick weekend trip for a birthday party but we just cant stay at a motel. Once you get used to bringing your house  you just cant go back. It sounds like the lynden route would be best.
Rod

rod6882 said:
Thanks for all the advise. I have always used the car and have not payed attention. This time we decided to take the rv and will be staying at the Burnaby caribou park. This is a quick weekend trip for a birthday party but we just cant stay at a motel. Once you get used to bringing your house  you just cant go back. It sounds like the lynden route would be best.
Rod

absolutely    way way less congested going that way

Jeannine said:
Sometimes Canadian border officials will come aboard.  You are not allowed to be in the RV while they are inspecting it,  so we've never been sure what they are looking for.  We usually cross with only a few questions.

Jeannine

Several years ago (maybe 12-18) I remember reading an article in Motor Home Magazine where someone had complained about not being able to accompany the border officials during the on-board search.  Someone from Canada with an official title like Director of Tourism/Marketing  (something like that but don't remember exactly) came back with an answer stating "we encourage the owners to accompany our inspectors while inside their RVs".  Since I wasn't going to Canada I didn't save that article but sure wish I had as I've read ever since that no one is ever allowed inside their own coach while the search is going on.  Wonder if things have changed after 9/11 or that Director just didn't realize what the real world was all about or is no longer in that position.

Not worth the hassle, plenty of sites to see in the 48 states, or in the 35  or so that don't restrict firearms.

Mfreyder said:
Not worth the hassle, plenty of sites to see in the 48 states, or in the 35  or so that don't restrict firearms.
never knock a place that may be better than your own especially if u have never been there.If your feel its a hassle then just stay home.I fail to see why having a firearm should make ones decision to go (or not) somewhere in their Rv .

When going north from Seattle on 5, turn off and go north on 539 which turns into Canada 13 and cross the border here. (Only open 9:00AM to 5 pm). This is the least used crossing and very seldom has more the 5 cars waiting. Canada 13 goes directly to Canada 1. Fill up with gas/fuel at the station at the traffic circle where 544 crosses 539 (about 3 miles south of the border).The fuel is the lowsest cost in the area and it's the closest tot the border. We went throughout here last week with our coach and toad and were cleared in less that 3 minutes to proceed.

By the way, in Canada gas and diesel are about $6.00 per gallon or 1.54 per L

Chet18013 said:
When going north from Seattle on 5, turn off and go north on 539 which turns into Canada 13 and cross the border here. (Only open 9:00AM to 5 pm). This is the least used crossing and very seldom has more the 5 cars waiting. Canada 13 goes directly to Canada 1. Fill up with gas/fuel at the station at the traffic circle where 544 crosses 539 (about 3 miles south of the border).The fuel is the lowsest cost in the area and it's the closest tot the border. We went throughout here last week with our coach and toad and were cleared in less that 3 minutes to proceed.

By the way, in Canada gas and diesel are about $6.00 per gallon or 1.54 per L
IVancouver area at 1.54 is  $5.24 US per US gallon (3.78liters)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MtnRV
Back
Top Bottom