tips for crossing into canada on the west coast

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Chet18013 said:
When going north from Seattle on 5, turn off and go north on 539 which turns into Canada 13 and cross the border here. (Only open 9:00AM to 5 pm). This is the least used crossing and very seldom has more the 5 cars waiting. Canada 13 goes directly to Canada 1. Fill up with gas/fuel at the station at the traffic circle where 544 crosses 539 (about 3 miles south of the border).The fuel is the lowsest cost in the area and it's the closest tot the border. We went throughout here last week with our coach and toad and were cleared in less that 3 minutes to proceed.

By the way, in Canada gas and diesel are about $6.00 per gallon or 1.54 per L
I don't mean to stomp on your parade but it is important that the information be accurate.

Washington's 539, which turns into Hwy-13 when it crosses the border into Canada is mentioned previously as the Aldergrove Crossing, just north of Lyndon, WA. Driving north on Hwy-13 you intersect the TransCanada Hwy (Hwy-1) in 8 miles. This crossing is open 8:00 AM to 12-midnight 7-days per weeks. It is generally less busy that the other crossings in this area but it can be congested at times. Northbound traffic has a straight run through the inspection stations that are RV friendly. Southbound RVs should use the right hand lane, designated for trucks, commercial vehicles and RVs. It provides lots of room been for big rigs.

Just south of Bellingham on I-5 you will find a reader board with current border crossing waiting times at all the crossings mentioned above.
Start looking for it after you pass the sign that says "Bellingham next 7 exits".
I suggest that you pay attention to that sign and cross at the border crossing with the shortest wait.

Jeff,

When we passed that sign yesterday it only listed Blaine and Peace Arch. No time was show for Aldergrove.

ken

Just to make our little adventure more interesting I was told its a holiday next weekend so the crossing could be more congested.
Thanks for everyone's advice.
Rod

rod6882 said:
Just to make our little adventure more interesting I was told its a holiday next weekend so the crossing could be more congested.
Thanks for everyone's advice.
Rod

actually it may not be bad as you think as the actuall holiday is on tuesday

UPDATE
We made the trip and took all your advise. Crossing north was polite and quick. Coming home not so much. We had passports so id was not any problem but we got a barrage of questions from the us. I was ask where I worked ,what I did for a living ect. Comments like business must be good and questioned me on why I would bring this rig to Canada for only one night. How much did the trip cost and why didn't I just rent a hotel. The whole thing was really strange and a little insulting. I don't know if they treat everyone this way.
Rod

I don't know why, but I've always found it harder to get back in US.  Not really any problems, but more questions and searches.

rod6882 said:
UPDATE
We made the trip and took all your advise. Crossing north was polite and quick. Coming home not so much. We had passports so id was not any problem but we got a barrage of questions from the us. I was ask where I worked ,what I did for a living ect. Comments like business must be good and questioned me on why I would bring this rig to Canada for only one night. How much did the trip cost and why didn't I just rent a hotel. The whole thing was really strange and a little insulting. I don't know if they treat everyone this way.
Rod

figured you maybe filled her up with BC Bud(haha) yes that is a very strange line of questions for sure. I went through to the us at sumas one time and the woman there wanted to know if I owned a house and I said yes and then she wanted to know what it was worth and did I have a mortgage? go figure how that was any of her business at hand

I went through to the us at sumas one time and the woman there wanted to know if I owned a house and I said yes and then she wanted to know what it was worth and did I have a mortgage? go figure how that was any of her business at hand

If you were entering the US and although it may have seemed like the questions were none of her business, that is not the case. She was simply doing her job in trying to determine your true residence and whether or not you might be likely to remain in USA unlawfully. Perhaps it was a vibe she got from the tone of your other responses to her questions or it was simply her way of doing her job. Some of these people are almost psychic when it comes to detecting these things. They are also well trained to cross check your responses to other questions.

Alfa38User said:
If you were entering the US and although it may have seemed like the questions were none of her business, that is not the case. She was simply doing her job in trying to determine your true residence and whether or not you might be likely to remain in USA unlawfully. Perhaps it was a vibe she got from the tone of your other responses to her questions or it was simply her way of doing her job. Some of these people are almost psychic when it comes to detecting these things. They are also well trained to cross check your responses to other questions.

Proof of residence I understand but I believe she was abusing it(authority) when asking  someone what their house is worth or if they owe money on it.In my 45 years of crossing borders this women is the only person to ask such questions.I have never ever had a problem coming or going except this one day with this person.she was just mean spirited and out of line in my opinion  but you just have to grin and bear it as I did.I figure being detained this single time was just another life experience.I was not worried as \I knew \I was 100% clean and she was just being a you know what that day because the guy inside kinda rolled his eyes when I came in when he saw which officer signed the check this guy over card.

One time many years ago I was returning from Europe via Seattle.  I was traveling alone because Jerry stayed behind to work.  I also was well dressed (this is before we wore jeans and sneakers to travel) with nice jewelry.  I was pulled aside to a separate room by a very nice agent who asked me a lot of questions.  Yes, I had been to Antwerp because my husband was working in Belgium and was still there.  No, I didn't buy any jewelry there. etc.  He went through my wallet looking at every single piece of paper and even went so far as to check the hem of my fur coat (it was winter and very cold in Europe that year).  Meanwhile we had a nice conversation about skiing etc.  When I mentioned it to a family member who was in the FBI and wondered why the intense scrutiny he said I undoubtedly fit the profile of someone who might be trying to smuggle diamonds from Antwerp.  He probably was looking in my purse and wallet for a receipt of a purchase and feeling for hidden diamonds in my clothing.  Antwerp is a diamond center and a lot are smuggled from there.  It was an interesting experience but it wasn't bothersome.

ArdraF

Jeff in Ferndale Wa said:
That's odd..I think it usually lists the Aldergrove crossing, but maybe I'm wrong.

I'm home now, and drove past that sign on Tuesday. It was alternating, first showing the times for the two Blain crossings, then switching and showing the times for the Lynden and Sumas crossings.

We have traveled across the border probably 20 times in 5 years if not more - we are from Calgary and our friends all live in the Spokane Valley so we,re back and forth tons. Every time we go to the States its the same question are the border guys rude and every time its the same answer NO THEY ARE AWESOME

now

Everytime we come back to Canada we used to get the gears HUGE and one time i had good seized even when they were declared and what a hassle ( we finally had then returned after a huge dispute over a couple of years)

each time we talk to a US citizen they say Canadian Border guys are great US Border guys suck and every time we talk to Canadians they say US Border Patrol is great Canadian Border guys suck

bottom line is each border patrol is looking out for the best interests of their respective countries in particular with respect to ECONOMIC policies they don't want you taking income out of their countries pocket but they do like the tourism dollars $$$$$$

now we cross both borders with required paperwork (ie receipts) and make sure we are well within any allowed allowancies (ie booze or other goods)

US CITIZENS PLEASE DONT BRING HANDGUNS TO CANADA OR POT they will bust your ass
CANADIAN CITIZENS DONT BRING MORE GOOD THAN YOUR ALLOWED EVEN IF YOU DO DELCARE IT they will bust your ass LOL ;D been there done that  :eek: :eek: :eek:

Just in this week. Don't try to bring poultry or eggs into B.C. from Washington state, avian flu has been discovered there. Damn, that was a main reason for shopping trips to Bellingham.

RoyM said:
Just in this week. Don't try to bring poultry or eggs into B.C. from Washington state, avian flu has been discovered there. Damn, that was a main reason for shopping trips to Bellingham.
"Avian flu" discovered by B.C. poultry industry, no doubt. :)

I don't think so. The American authorities have been on watch for the disease since it was discovered here on farms close to the border. Whether contaminated Canadian birds crossed the border as illegal aliens or it is an airborne virus I really don't know.

..at 20 cents  on the buck, there isn't a major benefit buy south (there are exceptions) ...

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7mark7
Back
Top Bottom