"tire balancing beads": does it work?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

VallAndMo

Hello folks.

This is something I saw in the past (being promoted for use in scooter tires) and heard from a blogger that it worked wonders. I was kinda sceptic....

Now, I see an online magazine promoting it for use in truck tires:
http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2014/06/product-spotlight-beads-help-balance-big-truck-tires.html

Does anyone have experience with these? Do they really work?

Cheers,
--
  Vall.

They work very well.  They adjust and precisely balance the rotating masses attached to the tire.  I first put them in my truck, liked them so well that they were installed on its second set of cheap tires with balance issues.  No need to rebalance tires during their lifespan, the beads adjust for that and any thrown weights.  They adjust to mud, snow, and ice imbalance nicely.  Added them to the RV too, no regrets.

I'd recommend reading the warranty on your brand of tires before using any foreign substance in the tires. Some of the major brands only allow the use of air or 100% nitrogen. Anything else voids the warranty.

FastEagle

Pint of antifreeze (16 oz) up to 18 " tire up to a quart for 22.5 and 24.5" tires

Could always just get your wheels balanced, that other stuff seams a little hokey pokey for me.  Guess if people feels it works more power to them.

RRAM said:
Could always just get your wheels balanced, that other stuff seams a little hokey pokey for me.  Guess if people feels it works more power to them.
Tire balancing beads and liquids have been used in the trucking industry for years, and have an excellent track record. One major advantage over fixed weights is that they can constantly adjust to the changing conditions caused by normal wear and tear. And they never fly off the way fixed clamp on and adhesive weights can at times.

RRAM said:

you are at the mercy of the kid that did the work.  I had the dually tires balanced manually 5 times (Discount tire lifetime balance), and they were never the same twice and never felt right.
finally decided on beads, and wow what a difference!

As best I can tell the beads are standard for larger (MH and truck) tires. I've never used anything else, nor have I found it offered even at truck service garages.

They work great!

Ernie

I ran balance beads in my Electra-Glide tires and they seemed to work well. As was mentioned above, check to see if they will void your tire warranty.

We haven't use the Dyna Beads but have used Equal powder (works the same way as the beads) in all our motorhome tires for many years.  Never had a balance problem in all that time.  Every truck tire shop that we've bought tires from has stocked Equal for balancing.  The cost was always the same as spin balancing.

RRAM said:

This seems like a statement that someone who has never used the product might say.
I use the powder only because my mechanic had it on hand. I first used it on the rear duals on the 22 foot class c...that is a 16.5 inch tire. I went from teeth shacking drive to am I moving? drive. the dishes stopped rattling in the cabinets.

on my curretn 26 foot class a (again with 16.5 inch tires) I have them in all tires. makes an amazing ride. will never go back to weights again.

Folks,

So the overwhelming opinion is that this stuff indeed works. It's definitely going into our "gotta have" list for purchase as soon as we get our 5th Wheel, after we check to make sure it won't affect the tires' warranty.

Many thanks for all the input!

Cheers,
--
  Vall.

VallAndMo said:
Folks,

So the overwhelming opinion is that this stuff indeed works. It's definitely going into our "gotta have" list for purchase as soon as we get our 5th Wheel, after we check to make sure it won't affect the tires' warranty.

Many thanks for all the input!

Cheers,
--
  Vall.

When was the last time you had a tire replaced under warranty?

In the last 20 years 2 trucks three cars a 2 5th wheels all of my tire problems which have been few were long after any warranty period.
Only had one tire replaced under warranty in the last 40 years.  A couple where I would have had to pay 90% of new but could buy the tire outright for less.

I would not let warranty prevent the use of something that makes a tire run smooth as silk and probably will allow you to get many more miles out of the tire.

I've used airsoft plastic beads in my tires for about 7+ years now. never had to balance the tires and they run great. Not sure how much weight in beads you would need for the larger tires in RV's. I use about 3 1/2 oz in passenger cars. I've had people tell me they use something similar in large dump truck tires. they said they used small packets of beads.

One note though. DON'T use any type of fix-a-flat in the tire. it will make the beads clump into a single mass and vibrate the crap out of your tire

48woody said:
I've used airsoft plastic beads in my tires for about 7+ years now. never had to balance the tires and they run great. Not sure how much weight in beads you would need for the larger tires in RV's. I use about 3 1/2 oz in passenger cars. I've had people tell me they use something similar in large dump truck tires. they said they used small packets of beads.

here is the dynabead page for amount per trailer tire size
http://www.innovativebalancing.com/trailerchart.htm

Thanks for the chart, I'll make a copy and give it to a friend. He changes a lot of tires in his shop and people have been asking him about this

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom