EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: Buying Stuff in Canada  (Read 6576 times)

Chris362

• ---
Re: Buying Stuff in Canada
« Reply #30 on: June 19, 2014, 12:06:19 PM »
Since it seems I've gotten a lot of response in this thread, one more thing; suggestions where to get gas....towns, cities, etc.

I know I should get it just before I enter Canada and just before I get between Fort Nelson (Northern BC) and Watson Lake (Yukon). But, which places are the best?

The route will be a little different on the way back according to Google. We're going through Banff and Jasper National Parks on the way there, but not on the way back (thanks Daddo).  It's different between Calgary and Grande Prairie.

Tin man

• ---
  • 07 36G Journey SE Tow 2010 Escape Hybrid B OX AF1
« Reply #31 on: June 19, 2014, 12:16:05 PM »
Chris

We are leaving from LI in two weeks to Alaska. We will stop in Banf Jasper on the way home late August early Sept. coming from Hyder. I'll look for you messages..

Jim
Jim W
AKA TIN MAN
2007 36G Journey SE
2010 Escape Hybrid Blue Ox Air Force 1 Brake

Chris362

• ---
« Reply #32 on: June 19, 2014, 12:49:52 PM »
Chris

We are leaving from LI in two weeks to Alaska. We will stop in Banf Jasper on the way home late August early Sept. coming from Hyder. I'll look for you messages..

Jim

We're leaving the end of this month and coming home the end of July.

I've notified my credit card companies.
I've gotten proof of insurance for Canada.
I've removed the guns from the RV.
I've made all necessary camping reservations.
I've bought a boatload of Deep Forest Off.

It's just this Canadian gas thing that has my head spinning.

Chris362

• ---
« Reply #33 on: June 19, 2014, 01:13:01 PM »
not really U see this is where US banks BS their customers. Go ask them what the currency rate is that their changing over for u at this so called "no fee"
I looked on their web site and its x 0.9755    so if u don't think your being screwed by BA CC your need to give your head a shake. It should be around .093 today
that's a difference of 4.5 cents(%)  nothing is ever free even though they tell U so .yes no fees but an extremely unfair exchange rate
that's a 227.50 raking you would take on $5K

Not sure how to get around that. I just called my bank and to exchange there the rate was .9719. I asked and was told it's the same rate (plus the 1% fee) if I used my bank's card.

So, it's still my best bet to use the BofA card.

I really don't want to be carrying a lot of cash either.

buchanan

• ---
« Reply #34 on: June 19, 2014, 02:14:02 PM »
We're leaving the end of this month and coming home the end of July.

I've notified my credit card companies.
I've gotten proof of insurance for Canada.
I've removed the guns from the RV.
I've made all necessary camping reservations.
I've bought a boatload of Deep Forest Off.

It's just this Canadian gas thing that has my head spinning.
what area are u going to where u need so much off?

buchanan

• ---
« Reply #35 on: June 19, 2014, 02:16:05 PM »
Not sure how to get around that. I just called my bank and to exchange there the rate was .9719. I asked and was told it's the same rate (plus the 1% fee) if I used my bank's card.

So, it's still my best bet to use the BofA card.

I really don't want to be carrying a lot of cash either.

I don't understand the carry cash deal but to each their own but it proves to u what I said,
 No fees but a most terrible  exchange rate.There making 4-5% on the exchange so no wonder they don't need to show it as a CC charge

Daddo

• ---
  • Retire > RV > Open Road
« Reply #36 on: June 19, 2014, 06:01:47 PM »
I know I should get it just before I enter Canada and just before I get between Fort Nelson (Northern BC) and Watson Lake (Yukon). But, which places are the best?
Fort Nelson and Watson Lake are about 320 miles apart so if you fill in one, you'll have enough to get you through to the other. Fuel up here in Canada is always more expensive that in the US but further up north on the Alcan it get even worse. The price for regular gas in Fort Nelson today is $1.52 per liter (1 US gallon = 3.785 liters). At today's currency rate of 0.92, that works out to $6.29 per US gallon.

Since you've mentioned going through Alberta, it's worth noting that fuel prices in Alberta are also lower than here in BC.

If you want to work out your fuel costs you can use sites like GasBuddy.com to get the local prices in a given city and then one of the conversion tables available on the web. I used http://www.mississauga4sale.com/Gasoline-Conversion-Calculator-litres-gallons-us.htm for the above conversion. It converse the liters to US gallons and you insert the current currency conversion rate for the monitory data.
2005 Newmar Mountain Aire 43

Chris362

• ---
« Reply #37 on: June 20, 2014, 11:25:48 AM »
what area are u going to where u need so much off?

Russian River, Seward, Nenana..........
I was told the state bird of Alaska was the mosquito.

I don't understand the carry cash deal but to each their own but it proves to u what I said,
 No fees but a most terrible  exchange rate.There making 4-5% on the exchange so no wonder they don't need to show it as a CC charge

Like I said, I'd still get the crappy exchange rate if I exchanged at my bank for cash.
If I run across somewhere I can get a better exchange rate, I may reconsider. I'm figuring I'll have to buy about 250 gallons of gas in Canada. I may enjoy the trip better if I don't worry about saving what few bucks I could save on that.

Fort Nelson and Watson Lake are about 320 miles apart so if you fill in one, you'll have enough to get you through to the other. Fuel up here in Canada is always more expensive that in the US but further up north on the Alcan it get even worse. The price for regular gas in Fort Nelson today is $1.52 per liter (1 US gallon = 3.785 liters). At today's currency rate of 0.92, that works out to $6.29 per US gallon.

Since you've mentioned going through Alberta, it's worth noting that fuel prices in Alberta are also lower than here in BC.

If you want to work out your fuel costs you can use sites like GasBuddy.com to get the local prices in a given city and then one of the conversion tables available on the web. I used http://www.mississauga4sale.com/Gasoline-Conversion-Calculator-litres-gallons-us.htm for the above conversion. It converse the liters to US gallons and you insert the current currency conversion rate for the monitory data.

I plan to go about 400 miles between fill-ups, so I think I'll shoot for something like this for gas:
Conrad, Mt   gas in Conrad 3.46 US
Conrad to Banff 335 miles  gas in Banff 4.50 US
Banff to Grande Prairie 424 miles  gas in Grande Prairie 4.24 US
Grande Prairie to Fort Nelson 363 miles  gas in Fort Nelson 5.21 US
Fort Nelson to Watson Lake 319 miles  gas in Watson Lake 4.77 US
Watson Lake to Whitehorse 386 miles  gas in Whitehorse 4.77 US
Whitehorse to Tok 318 miles  gas in Tok 4.00 US

Of course if I see something better along the way, I'll stop there.
Hopefully, gas doesn't go up too much in the next few weeks. 

Tin man

• ---
  • 07 36G Journey SE Tow 2010 Escape Hybrid B OX AF1
« Reply #38 on: June 20, 2014, 12:54:37 PM »
Ref why should the price of fuel go up?...

Why should it? Oh yea, fourth on July, the mess in Iraq,  and let's not forget "how can we gouge the consumer?  They have a a christmas wish list...... The only thing missing is a fire in a refinery....but the summer has just started....plent of time...
Jim W
AKA TIN MAN
2007 36G Journey SE
2010 Escape Hybrid Blue Ox Air Force 1 Brake

Ned

• Former Staff
  • ---
  • Ned and Lorna are former full time RVers
    • Have you seen Rolling Stock?
« Reply #39 on: June 20, 2014, 01:50:39 PM »
The only thing missing is a fire in a refinery

Be careful what you wish for.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/wp/2014/06/18/iraqs-biggest-oil-refinery-is-on-fire-how-important-is-that/
-- Ned -- Fulltimer 1997-2013
1997 Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE
2007 GMC Canyon

Chris362

• ---
« Reply #40 on: June 20, 2014, 03:31:56 PM »
Ref why should the price of fuel go up?...

Why should it? Oh yea, fourth on July, the mess in Iraq,  and let's not forget "how can we gouge the consumer?  They have a a christmas wish list...... The only thing missing is a fire in a refinery....but the summer has just started....plent of time...

Be careful what you wish for.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/wp/2014/06/18/iraqs-biggest-oil-refinery-is-on-fire-how-important-is-that/

I blame both of you......
http://www.hindustantimes.com/punjab/chandigarh/major-fire-breaks-out-in-guru-gobind-singh-refinery-in-bathinda/article1-1231539.aspx

Hosted by Over The Network