Which satellite for tv living?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sunsets67

We are planning on buying a rv end of this year and living in it fulltime without travel for now. I was hoping I can get feed back on which company to work with and equipment to get.  We really dont want to put on rv do to holes. Any feed back would be great.

Choice of satellite TV provider is basically the differences in the packages offered.  They're mostly the same, for about the same prices too.  We've had DirecTV for 17 years and have been happy with them, but others are equally satisfied with Dish Network.  The equipment will depend somewhat on your choice of programming.  If you get HD channels, you'll need an HD receiver.  You also have the option of a DVR and multi-room support.  When you are ordering, the rep will go over all the options with you and suggest the right equipment for your needs.

For a home base antenna, install a pole mount if the lot owner allows it, otherwise a tripod would be the alternative.

Ned said:
Choice of satellite TV provider is basically the differences in the packages offered.  They're mostly the same, for about the same prices too.  We've had DirecTV for 17 years and have been happy with them, but others are equally satisfied with Dish Network.  The equipment will depend somewhat on your choice of programming.  If you get HD channels, you'll need an HD receiver.  You also have the option of a DVR and multi-room support.  When you are ordering, the rep will go over all the options with you and suggest the right equipment for your needs.

For a home base antenna, install a pole mount if the lot owner allows it, otherwise a tripod would be the alternative.

Thank you for the info. Have you heard of this, I know it wont have premium channels but wonder if anyone had used this?  Rayzar RV-RZ85 Amplified Portable Indoor HD Antenna

This is likely an 'over the air' antenna. Most RV's come equipped with a similar antenna (the head is usually powered)  mounted on the roof outside already.

Unless you find the antenna you will have is inadequate, don't worry about adding this type. Worry more about ancient TV sets, whether you will need converters with the recent conversion of many stations to other bands etc.. etc.

The Rayzar indoor antenna is the modern equivalent to the rabbit ears of the old days. It will do an adequate job if the over the air signals are strong enough in your area. It is NOT a satellite antenna.

I agree with Ned, if you decide you need satellite, Pick the plan you like the most,, In the past DirecTV was more into sports and Dish had things I like better so for me it was Dish... (I am not a sports fan, but am into Science, NASA is on Dish).

There are other considerations as well.. Do you want a DISH type antenna or a "Dome" type antenna.. Dishes come in two flavors, Ground mount and roof mount, all are Stationary (Use only when parked).  Domes in 3 flavors,  Roof mount "In motion" Roof mount "Stationary" and ground mount/portable.

Domes also come in single and dual types (Dual means TWO outputs capable of feeding 2 or more receivers or multi-channel DVRs, Singles can only feed one receiver or a SINGLE channel DVR)..

DirecTV, with a dual dome,, (NO HD However) uses a single satellite... Domes can only see one at a time, and thus it works 100%

DirecHDTV is not compatible with a dome.... Only the NON-HD channels come in, not all receivers will work with a dome.

Dish: uses 3 sattllites, 2 for SD one for HD (I suspect some HD may be on the first two)

SOME domes can change targets under receiver control, these domes work with DISH and a SINGLE receiver (like a single dome), but with TWO receivers, if you have a conflict over which bird to target, somebody looses.

Also.. DISH HD actually uses 3 of six satellites,  If you are in say Myrtle Beach SC, you may need to see the other arc,, The Tailgater from DISH can not do this, the Winegard Pathfincer X2.. Can.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Davidomero
Back
Top Bottom