New RV'r & 1st RV Rally (FMCA, Redmond)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Daddo

My DW and I recently purchased a 2005 Mountain Aire 43 and as our last MH was a Class C about 30 years, we're pretty much newbies. I have booked us to attend the FMCA Rally in Redmond, OR in August and I have a few questions for you more seasoned folk. This will be our break-in run prior to heading out on a 4-month retirement journey.
[list type=decimal]
[*]How many coaches are typically at one of these events?
[*]The Rally officially starts on Wed, August 13. When is the best time to arrive, to avoid the greatest rush and get a parking spot not to far from the events?
[*]What are the typical "first time rally attendee" mistakes to be aware of and try to avoid?
[/list]
We hope to attend many of the seminars, view all the exhibits and hopefully meet up with some new friends.

Since this is all new and our coach is new to us, I am waiting until the rally to stock up on everything from sewer hoses (replacement for the cheap one provided by the dealer) to dishes, a tow system for our toad (being driven separately down tho the rally) and a load of other stuff sure to put a dent in my RV bank account.

Any advise and tips on making the most of this opportunity are appreciated.

Hi Daddo,

We will be attending also, not sure what day we will go in, probably on Tuesday the 12th.  This will be our first time to this rally, have made a few others over the past
years.  As far as the number of coaches, that sort of depends, I've heard they expect between 1500 & 2000, lots of opportunity to meet and greet new friends.  And there
will be a large number of vendors/suppliers ready and willing to take your money and help get you set up. 

I'm sure you know but the rally is in Oregon, not Washington.  Where are you located now and which route are you planning?  We are in Blaine, Washington and will be leaving
here a few days before the rally and you could travel along with us if you are in the area. 

Good luck, have fun, learn lots, make friends but most of all, enjoy yourselves.

Thanks  Chuck

Chuck,
Thanks for pointing out the Redmond, OR error in my post. For whatever reason I continually state Redmond, WA, even though I know better. ???

We live just a short way north of you in South Surrey / White Rock, BC, just 20 blocks north of the border.

We started making our plans, including a couple of nights in RV parks before the rally to help clarify our needs. We're spending one night in Ellensburg and another just north of Redmond, arriving at the rally site Monday morning. We are going out via Leavenworth to avoid some of the Seattle traffic and reminisce about our many motorcycle trips through that area.

1.How many coaches are typically at one of these events?
2.The Rally officially starts on Wed, August 13. When is the best time to arrive, to avoid the greatest rush and get a parking spot not to far from the events?
3.What are the typical "first time rally attendee" mistakes to be aware of and try to avoid?

1.  The number of coaches varies but the 1,000-2,000 number probably is good.  Back when the economy and the RV industry was booming 5,000 coaches would attend.

2.  The rally starts Wednesday, but many of us will arrive on Sunday afternoon and boondock in a holding area until they start parking us.  Sometimes there are pre-rally activities.  I heard that FMCA is planning Bingo Night on Monday and Movie Night on Tuesday.  Not sure how accurate that is, but it's typical.

3.  First-time Attendees will have a red First Timer ribbon with their badge so others will know they're newbies.  Don't hesitate to ask for help if you're confused about something.  Also, do be sure to attend the First Timers seminar the first day.  That's where you'll learn what FMCA and its rallies are all about.  Plan on attending lots of seminars.  They have them on virtually any subject to do with RVing.  When you are parked you'll receive a goodie bag which will have a booklet describing all the seminars, meeting times, and locations.  Plus a map of the venue to find your way around.  FMCA often has really outstanding evening entertainment so the day doesn't end after the seminars.  A good example is Suzanne Somers.  I had thought of her as a ditzy blonde from the Three's Company TV show, but she put on a terrific performance.  Others were Crystal Gayle and the Texas Tenors. 

4.  A number of RV Forum members will be attending.  When we arrive we usually let it be known where we're parked so others can find us.  We usually have happy hour around 4:30 starting with whoever arrives first so do be sure to check on who is where.  We'll look forward to meeting our new RV Forum members.

See http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php?topic=73596.0

ArdraF

Daddo said:
  • The Rally officially starts on Wed, August 13. When is the best time to arrive, to avoid the greatest rush and get a parking spot not to far from the events?

I've been to several dozen FMCA Rallies and you never ever know where you will get parked until you arrive.  Sometimes they  park the first  to arrive the farthest away, other times first in gets closest spots.  At a rally of this size there is a good chance you will be a ways away from the venues.  So you will take a Tram that drives around the grounds picking up from  various " stops" designated on a map.  You must have patience as they are often crowded in prime times so just go with the flow.  You may have to allow extra time to get to your destination but just plan ahead.  We arrive a couple of days early to allow some  socializing before the rally begins because as Ardra says, it's busy, busy, busy when the rally starts. You will learn much.

I think you can  buy dishes at better places than this rally but they do sell high end pots and pans.  Bring  paper plates for  this non full hook up event! 

Thanks for the feedback all. It sounds like a great event and a wonderful learning opportunity.

I think you can buy dishes at better places than this rally but they do sell high end pots and pans.  Bring  paper plates for  this non full hook up event!
Dishes was just an wild example that came to mind while typing. Actually, we are using paper plates at the moment and we will until at least the event. Whatever we don't pickup there we'll get just after the rally while we're still in Oregon and able to save on the sales tax.

While we were looking forward to seeing many of the framily in Redmond, Debby's ongoing medical issues will be keeping us in Portland, close to her new found group of medical professionals. After two transfusions, a colonoscopy/endoscopy, multiple visits with the hematologist and a surgical referral over the last two weeks, as well as the need for weekly infusions of iron IV over the next 4 weeks, it's become, unfortunately, very clear that Redmond can't happen for us this year. So, while we'll miss seeing many of you in a couple of weeks, we're looking forward to the Catalina shindig.

If any of you might be heading north through Portland after the rally and consider stopping in the Portland area, we're in the Jantzen Beach RV Park on Hayden Island between Portland and Vancouver, WA. And, by the way, even if none of you are heading north after the rally or even if you are heading north and not considering a stop in Portland, we'll still be at the Jantzen Beach Park!

Randy

Randy,

Sorry you and Debby won't make Redmond, but I hope that this group of Doctors can actually find the cause and take care of it rather than just treating the immediate symptoms like in the past.
After Redmond we have to head to Coburg for a service appointment at ARG (Allied Recreation Group, parent company of the "newest" version of Monaco).

Take care,

ken

AZ Randy1 said:
Thanks, Ken. Will you be going to Winchester Bay after your service appt?

Randy,

I don't think so. We were in Florence for 5 days and now Waldport for 4 days. Sunday we are going the Winchester Bay for the night prior to going into the Monaco Rally at Coos Bay.
We actually had planned on going to Winchester Bay and not Waldport, but this week is the annual Dune Fest and the place is a zoo with ATV and Razors - it ends Sunday.

If the weather is good we may head up to Banff and Jasper. We had planned on starting the summer there, but it was still too cold so we "re-arranged" our trip. To clarify my last post we actually will be in Bend for a week after the Rally, then Coburg for ARG and Cummins.

Back
Top Bottom