Coach AC Unit Wont Run Off Of Generator??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kenneth L

Greetings,

Im a new RVer and just purchased a 2013 Winnebago Access Premier 31W and for the life of me I cannot get the rooftop AC unit to run off of the generator. It works fine when plugged into shore power though. I have a Cummins 4000 generator and was told by the service department that this generator is plenty powerful enough to start and run the AC. The microwave will not run off of the generator as well. I checked for circuit breakers on the generator itself and only found one and it wasn't tripped. Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated! Thanks!

Edit by staff: changed message icon to topic solved

Welcome to the Winnebago family!

Does anything in the coach work from the generator or just the microwave and A/C is not working?  You do know that you have to plug your shore power cord into the generator outlet?  Higher-end units have an automatic transfer switch to switch from shore power to generator and back but the less expensive units do not.

Thanks for the welcome John.

Besides the coach AC unit and microwave, the wall outlets don't work either off of the generator. So as far as I know nothing is working off of the generator right now.

When you said that I needed to plug the shore power cord into the generator outlet, I'm not sure what you are referring to as far as the "generator outlet". Is this the 30 amp female connection inside the compartment that the shore power cord comes out of?

Is this the 30 amp female connection inside the compartment that the shore power cord comes out of?

That would be the one.  The outlet is connected to the generator.

Ok thanks guys. When we bought the RV and did the walk through the guy never told us that's what that connection was for. Of course it makes sense now  :D

lol .... that sequence of events was pure deja vu for me...... my first rv...1994 Fleetwood flair......disconnected shore line.. cranked up the generator... and Houston we had nuthin..........panic....circuit breaker check....then the "duh" moment when I realized that I hadn't provided a way for the lil electrons to crawl their way outta the generator and into the wires.......the no cost ... no labor solution of plug the damn thing in... have never forgotten that life lesson......

I bet u never get caught by that little miss step again.......

shel

We have the same problem with our 2005 Itasca Sundancer and don't see a place to plug shoreline into generator. It is a Onan GenSet.

Hi henyl, and welcome to the forum.

If your coach doesn't have an auto transfer switch, you'll probably find a power recepticle to plug your power cord into in the same bay as your power cord (That's usually where they put them). If your coach has an auto transfer switch, but the gen-set isn't powering anything, check the circuit breakers on the gen-set itself - there are usually two. Turn them both off, then on again. Circuit breakers can be tripped, even though they don't look tripped. Then check the master breaker in the coach's breaker panel. Start there and let us know if that fixes the problem.

Kev

We bought this rv about 6 weeks ago and are still learning about it. However, this generator only had one circuit breaker and I flipped it off and on and then reset the one inside the rv too just to try everything and that didn't help. Still no air or microwave.

An auto transfer switch was an option on the 2005 Sundancer (Winnie called it an "Auto Changeover Switch.") If you're not seeing a place to plug the power cord into, I'm going to assume your coach has it. If the breakers check good and the generator runs well, yet it's not putting out 120 volts, I'd break out the owner's manual and go to the troubleshooting section. I'm sure it will have some things to check for that particular problem. I'm not a generator expert but several folks on this forum are. I'm sure they'll be with you shortly.

Kev

Ok, so I finally was able to crawl under the housing door of the generator compartment - I really have trouble working underneath those doors that stick straight out - and got a better look at the circuit breaker switch. I got where I could finally read that it was actually off. Once I turned it on everything did work. I feel like a pretzel now but my air conditioning and everything works off the generator now. Another note to myself about location of circuit breaker and on position. Thanks for all the information.

I have a similar problem on my 2012 Winnebago View, Onan 3.6kw. I just tried the genset and get NO power to the coach anywhere. My shore cable is plugged in as required and no breakers are tripped, including one on the genset. It worked several months ago but not now.

Try following the steps outlined above for the previous problem and let us know the results. You will likely need a multimeter and a bit of knowledge on its use to check it out properly. If you shore power is plugged in then it takes priority over the generator and the ATS, if equipped, is the deciding factor. It is there where you will have to measure voltage availability. No ATS?? if so, you likely need to check the manual plug is in the right spot.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kstoybox
Back
Top Bottom