Please tell me what this is and the purpose please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

campernewbie

We have a 24ft fleetwood terry camper that we are overhauling. This Brown plastic cord for lack of better words runs around everything. We are trying to paint it, but that is proving difficult. What to know if we can take it down and replace with corner round. Does it serve a purpose? will this damage the structure of our camper.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    228.6 KB · Views: 363
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    215.2 KB · Views: 252
I believe you mean 1/4 round. I don't see any problem with that. Although it will be a lot of work. I would paint it first or stain it first.

It's a molding and serves to cover the joint between the wall and ceiling.  Purely decorative.

Yep, just easy and cheap way to hide the places where the wall and ceiling don't fit.
BTW, the quarter round comes in different sizes, you woule probably need the smallest you can find and be sure to pre drill nail holes as it can split easily.

It's probably not really quarter round, though. More likely a flexible vinyl  strip of some sort that serves the same purpose. Some of them are circular in cross section and have a flange or tab on the side that is stapled in place on one of the adjoining surfaces.

In any case, it is decorative rather than structural.

The technical name, or at least the trade name is Vinyl Welt Cord Piping. It is not a paintable surface considering it is a petroleum based product, unless you can do sufficient prep to the molding which is unlikely. In the cars that I've built I've used a scotch brite pad to clean the trim up,

It's very similar to the welting that the original VW's used to go between the fenders and body.  Filled in the space between the two surfaces and gave a finished look.  I'm considering removing all of it in our 1988 Vacationeer 5er and replacing it with quarter round.  If you are going to repaint the inside walls, that would be the thing to do.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom