Electric brakes or no?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MkesAnderson

We bought at 2005 coachman clipper that is 2400 dry weight. It is pretty big (has 2 king beds). It has electric brakes. We are pulling with a 2008 Chrysler Town and Country. (Our max is 3600). Anyways- we've had two different auto guys who specialize in pop ups and towing tell us two different things. One said we don't need to spend the money for the electric brake controller, we can tow without using the electic brakes... The other (one who's putting the tow equipment on) say we do. Any advice?

You do not need the electric brakes unless you wat to stop quickly. Or have control going down a long steep hiil. Or drive on wet roads.

We want to get it installed but want to wait for our next paycheck. We just need to get it to our home in the mean time from about 30 min away. I guess if we take it slow we will be okay to bring it home.

MkesAnderson said:
We bought at 2005 coachman clipper that is 2400 dry weight. It is pretty big (has 2 king beds). It has electric brakes. We are pulling with a 2008 Chrysler Town and Country. (Our max is 3600). Anyways- we've had two different auto guys who specialize in pop ups and towing tell us two different things. One said we don't need to spend the money for the electric brake controller, we can tow without using the electic brakes... The other (one who's putting the tow equipment on) say we do. Any advice?

I would have one installed just for the safety aspect of things.U load that trailer up with LPG,food,luggage, etc etc  its soon up to 3000 lbs now load up van and fill up with people you will need the extra braking power.Towing it home empty and just u in the van etc would not be a problem without the electric brake hookup

You may find that over a certain weight, it's the law that you need electric brakes and that's why the manufacturer installed them. I don't know what that number is. You must install them for your safety and the safety for everyone else on the road. 

MkesAnderson said:
We want to get it installed but want to wait for our next paycheck. We just need to get it to our home in the mean time from about 30 min away. I guess if we take it slow we will be okay to bring it home.
You don't need electric brakes to tow the trailer home. Just take as little weight in the Van as possible (driver only), take it easy and leave plenty of room between you and the car ahead.

Be sure that the tires are inflated to the max pressure on the sidewall of the tire. If the tires are over 6-years-old, I wouldn't tow the trailer any farther than the closest tire store.

Now...... whether you should be towing that trailer on camping trips with the family and a full load of gear with that mini-van (brakes or no brakes), is a completely different subject....  ;)

Be sure they install a proportional brake controller such as the Prodigy P2.  They will most likely try to pawn off a time based unit which are junk and should not even be legal.

lavarock1210 said:
Be sure they install a proportional brake controller such as the Prodigy P2.  They will most likely try to pawn off a time based unit which are junk and should not even be legal.

You know,,, I once tried to date the daughter of Tekonsha Engineerings Founder.. Should have tried harder I think.. She was (at the time) a very nice young lady.

Oh well.. I thank you and the captain of my basketball team (Back then) Thanks you for the recommendation.. he is (Or rather was the last time I checked) The CEO.

Back
Top Bottom