2006 Journey Slide Problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

barrymclaren

Recently I experienced a problem with the closet slide in the bedroom of my 2006 36' Winnebago Journey. As I extend, the top of the slide leans in about 5-10 degrees and remains in this position when extension is completed.  If, during the extension process, I push the top of the slide outward the slide will remain about vertical when extension is completed (thus making contact with the weather stripping across the top).  With the slide half extended and someone gently rocking the top of the slide, I can see what appears to be loose brackets at the point where the slide is bolted to the actuator.  I have checked all ofthe bracket bolts and they appear to be tight and secure.

Has anyone seen this problem before?  Does anyone have suggestions on what I should do about it?

Tnx.

Barry

Hi Barry - welcome!

Which slide are you talking about - not sure what you mean by closet slide.  Are you talking about the entire bedroom slide?  It certainly sounds like you have had some sort of a mechanical failure - at this point I'm thinking you need to get a Winnie dealer involved but maybe others have a different idea.

There are two slides on the 2006 36' Journey; the dining room slide and the bedroom closet slide.  I'm referring to the latter.  I did send a note off to Winnebago Industries describing the problem.  They're response was to take it to a Winnebago dealer (I was hoping for a little more discussion).

Barry, there will probably be several experts answer your question better than I, but I have the same slide configuration. The bedroom slide has one dual-acting ram (actuator) that extends and retracts the slide. If the top is not extending relatively even with the bottom, check for some mechanical restriction near the top of the slide. Could be seal or?!? 

The ram attachment to the slide is right there at the small panel on top of the services door. Check the attachment bolts, and check for evidence of hydraulic leak in that compartment.

RedT:

Thanks for the response.  Sounds like you have a good understanding of my problem.  I have checked the mounting bolts...all are tight.  I see no obstruction and there is no evidence of hydraulic fluid.  If, while I'm extending, I push on the top of the closet, I will get what looks like a proper extension with weather stripping contact all the way around the slide at the completion of the extension.  If i don't push on the top of the closet, there will be a gap of 1-2 inches between the top of the closet and the weather stripping when the bottom of the slide completes the extension.

With the closet half extended and someone rocking the top of the closet, I can see what appears to be a loose connection to the hydraulic ram assembly at the point of the bracket (whatever the bracket attaches to...it's not visible).

Barry, that slide-out awning at the top of the slide can (and will) cause the problem you are experiencing. Position someone outside while you are extending the slide to observe the top of the slide-out. The awning should unfurl smoothly - if it is causing the problem, it should be obvious.

If the bracket you are referring to is that small strip of fairing just above the service compartment door, know that it is attached to the coach with double-sided tape. It can be removed to provide a closer look at the actuator/slide attachment, however, you should be able to see it clearly from underneath.

It does sound like the slide top on that slide is binding and causing the top of the slide not to move freely. Try getting a ladder and try to unroll the slide top by hand when the slide is about half way out.  There should be tension on the roller, but it should unroll if you use two hands.  When it gets some slack in it, say 8 to 10 inches, let it go. It should snap back smartly.  If not then the spring in the awning is bad.

So you're saying that the slide is effectively pivoting on the slide rail bracket itself? I'll have to go look at mine, but it "sounds" like the closet is riding on the slide unsecured.

Have you looked at the mechanical shop drawings yet?

Gentlemen:

Sorry it's taken so long to respond to your excellent inputs (away on travel)!

I have heard the awning roller may be a contributor to this problem...I'll have to check this out.  However, te last comment sums it up well; ie., the closet does seem to be "rocking" on the rail (as I said earlier, with the slide half way out I can rock the closet assembly by pushing on the top of the closet).

Picking up on some earlier postings on the dining room slide, I'm wondering if I have some broken attachment bolts that usually hold the closet securely to the slide mechanism???

Comments?

I had same coach, earlier year.  Sounds like the slide topper is binding.  If so, that would certainly restrict movement at the top of the slide as you describe.

If you raise the bed, you can remove the top panel near the foot of the bed and inspect the entire slide ram mechanism. 

A good test would be to pin the slide roller (so it won't roll up on its own), remove the topper brackets from the slide wall and lay it on top of the roof.  Operate the slide and if the slide works correctly, the topper must be the issue.

I believe I have found the cause of this problem; the bracket that attaches the ram to the closet has broken loose from the closet frame.

With the closet extended, I was able to see how the ram bracket attaches to the closet structure.  There is an aluminum channel extrusion, about the size of a 1x4 that runs the entire width of the closet. The ram bracket attaches to this aluminum extrusion. Unfortunately, in order to provide access for the vertical mounting bolts, Winnebago cut the top and sides of the extrusion (leaving only the bottom) where the ram bracket attaches, thus severely compromising the structural integrity of the extrusion (they should have drilled clearance holes into the top of the extrusion instead)..

In my case the flat portion has broken away from the extrusion allowing the closet to become unsecured.
I don't see any alternative but to head for a Winnebago repair shop to resolve this issue.

Heads up Journey people.  This is definitely a weakness in the slide design.

Comments?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sinbad
Back
Top Bottom