Paying for Electricity ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sunsets67

I have heard that some rv camp sites have you pay for electricity if you go over there limit. How would you keep tract if you are planning to stay for a long time at one spot? Anyone that has been charged, please help with understanding how this would work and what you had to pay monthly.

Thanks!

Sunsets67 said:
I have heard that some rv camp sites have you pay for electricity if you go over there limit. How would you keep tract if you are planning to stay for a long time at one spot? Anyone that has been charged, please help with understanding how this would work and what you had to pay monthly.

Thanks!

they would be metered same as your house is otherwise no one would know how much was being consumed by any one person
what you pay monthly will be determined by how many kilowatt hours you used and how much per KWH they charge(rate)
If you were in a hot area and u ran 2 roof AC 24/7 you would burn up 2000 k of kwh pretty easy and if your rate is say 15 cents(that would be very high)
your bill would be $300

Most RV parks do charge for electricity, usually around 10 cents a kilawatt hour or $75 per month. They have a meter on each site and compute your electricity bill by reading the meter before and after you leave.

As Tom said, meter on each site,,, 13 cents and I expect way over 75 dollars where I planned on being next month.. No meters where Ill park a few miles away.

Some parks only charge if you are a monthly.. To keep track.. read the meter.

Metered electric is rarely found when you pay daily or weekly, but some parks use meters for monthly or seasonal customers. You pay a lower rate for the site when the electric is metered, so its generally works out.

When a meter is used, there may be some amount of power (kilowatt-hours) included in the base site rate and you pay the overage. In other cases, you pay for every bit of the electric used. The price per KWH is no different than what the park pays to the electric company for the service - they are not allowed to add a profit to the electric power rate.

Gary RV Roamer said:
Metered electric is rarely found when you pay daily or weekly, but some parks use meters for monthly or seasonal customers. You pay a lower rate for the site when the electric is metered, so its generally works out.

When a meter is used, there may be some amount of power (kilowatt-hours) included in the base site rate and you pay the overage. In other cases, you pay for every bit of the electric used. The price per KWH is no different than what the park pays to the electric company for the service - they are not allowed to add a profit to the electric power rate.
REALLY U have a FEDERAL law that says a RV park may not mark up the price of a KWH over what they pay for it(KWH)

Gary RV Roamer said:

Gary,  How would that explain Road Runner RV Park on Boulder Hwy in Vegas at .23 per KWH and Kings Row just up the street at .13 per KWH?  I felt ripped off when I found out the differences.

Tom...

REALLY U have a FEDERAL law that says a RV park may not mark up the price of a KWH over what they pay for it(KWH)

Actually they are STATE laws, but [to the best of my knowledge] every state has a similar one governing the re-sale of power from public utilities.  Electric power distribution is a state regulated public utility and rates must be approved by some state agency. Generally the state regulations allow a re-seller to recover the cost of meter reading and billing but not to make any profit on the power itself.

Generally the regulations do not apply to privately generated power, e.g. a generator supplying power strictly within a commercial enterprise such as a campground or wilderness resort.

Gary,  How would that explain Road Runner RV Park on Boulder Hwy in Vegas at .23 per KWH and Kings Row just up the street at .13 per KWH?  I felt ripped off when I found out the differences.

I wouldn't, not without more detailed info.  Nevada allows more competition in power sourcing than most states, so two different parks could have two different power suppliers, each with its own rate schedule. But there is still a state regulated/approved rate schedule and there is a no mark-up rule for re-sellers. Nevada has even published a electric power guide for mobile home & RV park operators advising them on what they may or may not do. I'll  leave it to you to study it further.
http://pucweb1.state.nv.us/PDF/MobileHomeParks/MHPInstructionBooklet.pdf

AZ is one state that allows RV parks to charge as much as they want - if you rent a site for less than 180 continuous days.
The one we stayed in charged $0.20 per KWh and I was told paid about $0.11 per KWh.

The AZ law can be seen HERE    Scroll down to 33-2107.

Then HERE is the revision that allows RV parks an out for rentals of less than 180 days.

Edit: Moderator fixed broken URL in the two links above

There's a meter at my spot. The park gives me a free number of kwatts per month. Anything I go over each month of that I pay .09 cents per kwatt. Each month the day before my monthly payment is due they read the meter.

At that price Id be parked 15 miles from where I am but they chard 0.13/KWH which is too much for me.. Besides, I really like this place (Cathead Ranch RV park and Cowboy Church)

And what's more.. I just got my DVR's working properly (Had a bit of an issue with the file server that feeds them program data,, Finally figured it out.. One "Rube Goldburg" system that really works very nice lets me record and watch and , Well you've seen the "Only _______ lets you do this that and the other thign" subscription TV ads.... WRONG.. i do it too.

Back
Top Bottom