EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: Passport requirement delayed  (Read 10237 times)

jerryarlyne

• ---
Passport requirement delayed
« on: October 05, 2006, 10:24:18 AM »
This is an excerpt from a Yuma, AZ. newspaper article today. Looks like we will be able to cross the border a little longer without having to show a passport.

Jerry

>>The deadline for needing passports for land crossings from Canada and Mexico has been pushed back one year.

>>The move came as part of a package of border-related laws that President Bush signed while in Arizona Wednesday.

>>Jared Peterson, a spokesman for the Border Trade Alliance in Phoenix, said the delay will give more time for the government and >the public to understand the implications of the delay.

>>"They are going to get a little bit of extra time to get prepared for when the changes go into effect," Peterson said.

>>The delay changed the deadline from Jan. 1, 2008, to June 1, 2009, for requiring passports or other approved identification for >>persons entering the United States at border U.S. ports of entry.
Jerry Ray

woodartist

• ---
  • Along the Colorado
Re: Passport requirement delayed
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2006, 01:00:18 PM »
Thanks for the info! Now we can go to Algodones for a few more years ;)

montanabound

• ---
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2006, 04:31:18 PM »
How often do you need to renew your passport ? ???
2006 26' Outback
2005 Ford 150
Susie
Me
Muffin

Ned

• Former Staff
  • ---
  • Ned and Lorna are former full time RVers
    • Have you seen Rolling Stock?
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2006, 04:41:37 PM »
Passports are good for 10 years.  They can be renewed by mail.
-- Ned -- Fulltimer 1997-2013
1997 Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE
2007 GMC Canyon

Len and Jo

• ---
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2006, 08:52:59 PM »
We always carry our passports with us now when we go to Canada.  Don't have to 'worry' about other papers for proof of who we are and where we are from.

Our local post office has a pass port window (restricted hours...but not bad) and we renew there.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2006, 09:37:05 PM by Len and Jo »
Len & Jo
The Green Tardis
We 'B' RVing   Berkley, Michigan
Van Development:   https://youtu.be/5Xqk_G6k95M
12 Years of Travels:  https://youtu.be/UMIf17CzdZo

woodartist

• ---
  • Along the Colorado
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2006, 09:01:20 PM »
Yeah, passports will be a lot better when the chip is put in ::)

DonTom

• ---
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2007, 05:49:15 PM »
"This is an excerpt from a Yuma, AZ. newspaper article today. Looks like we will be able to cross the border a little longer without having to show a passport."

"A  little longer" may have  ended yesterday on Jan 23, 2007, according to a South San Francisco newspaper, but its not real clear because it says "passengers flying back into the US from Canada, Mexico & the Caribbean were required to show a valid passport for the first time Tuesday .  .  ."

Does it make a difference when RVing instead of flying?

-Don- (South San Francisco)
-Don-   AA6GA

2000 Fleetwood Tioga 24D, 7.4L

Eight motorcycles:
Original owner of:
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2016 Versys 650 LT
2016 Moto Guzzi Stelvio
2017 Zero DS ZF6.5
2017 Zero SR 13 w/pwr tank

Phil

• ---
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2007, 05:53:16 PM »

Does it make a difference when RVing instead of flying?

Big difference.

Flying requirement started this week.  Driving/walking not until next year.

PhilB

JerArdra

• ---
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2007, 04:27:11 PM »
Here is a real passport dilemma.  A couple of the Canadian guys here at QZ told me the following.

40 to 60 years ago many Canadians, along the border, drove across the border to the US to birth their children because there were not hospitals or doctors close to them.  In other words the US medical facilities were physically closer.  They then went home and NEVER gave it a thought.  For some of them their parents may have departed this earth by now.

Well, with the new passport rule in Canada these folks, now 50-60 years old, have been applying for a Canadian passport and cannot get one because they are technically US citizens.  This will be a problem for Parliament, e.g., a new law.

These 50-60 year folks have paid into the Canadian social services, joined the Canadian medical system and have worked their entire lifetime in Canada but they now need proof of being a Canadian citizen which they don't have to get a passport.

JerryF
JerryF  ;D  ;D

Marc L

• ---
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2007, 05:08:24 PM »
There are those babies and there is also another group.  Those who lived outside Canada when they turned 24.

Quoted from CBC news:

"Many applying for a Canadian passport have been informed their chance to remain a citizen expired years ago because of an obscure provision in the Citizenship Act, a little-known law that applied between 1947 and 1977.

The law states that if you lived outside Canada on your 24th birthday and failed to sign the right form, you automatically lost your citizenship."
Marc...

Ron

• Former Staff
  • ---
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2007, 05:11:01 PM »
Interesting set of circumstances.  Maybe Steve can shed more light on this.
Ron & Sam-home is where we park it. Currently located   HERE

Smoky

• ---
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2007, 04:40:07 AM »
Well we have our PP photos now and have filled out our application form.  I think we will go ahead and get our passports, even though we are walkers and not fliers.  Passport applications are up 25% and are expected to be up 75% later this year and waiting lines will get large.  We figured since we are this far along, we might as well ride up to Sun City West this month and finish the job.
Smoky S  Ham radio - W3PY

The magic of a campfire
where the fish get bigger
the mountains get higher
the hike was uphill both ways
and new friends become old friends

2005 KSDP3910 Newmar Kountry Star
Toad - Taurus wagon w/ axle lock
On our way to the Poudre River in Colorado for the summer!

wendyann

• ---
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2007, 03:47:53 AM »
This is an excerpt from a Yuma, AZ. newspaper article today. Looks like we will be able to cross the border a little longer without having to show a passport.

Jerry

>>The deadline for needing passports for land crossings from Canada and Mexico has been pushed back one year.

According to the Travelocity website this evening, they're required now.

Wendy

Wendy

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2007, 10:37:20 AM »
According to the Travelocity website this evening, they're required now.

Flying, yes, passports are now required. Driving or walking, passports won't be required until 2008.

Wendy
Quartzsite Forum Rally
Wendy, Mike, and Gordon
~We can't be lost because we don't care where we're going~
Here's where we are http://map.datastormusers.com/user2.cfm?user=2276
2015 Allegro Ooen Road
1973 Sunshine Yellow VW Bug

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2007, 11:37:39 AM »
My memory might be failing me, but the last time we walked across the border at Algadones, the sign said "passports required starting February, 2007".
Tom.  Need help? Click the Help button in the toolbar above.

Wendy

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2007, 12:41:27 PM »
My memory might be failing me, but the last time we walked across the border at Algadones, the sign said "passports required starting February, 2007".

From what I've been reading, that's been delayed until February 2008 for walkers and drivers.
Wendy, Mike, and Gordon
2015 Allegro Ooen Road

Smoky

• ---
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2007, 06:18:57 AM »
Wel, in about 3 hours, we will be testing out the walking requirements!   ;D

The magic of a campfire
the mountains get higher

Marc L

• ---
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2007, 09:06:01 AM »
You can check the new passport requirements here:
http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/alerts/whti/faq_requirements/whti_faqs.xml

US Customs and Border Protection is your best source of info on what is required to enter the United States.
Marc...

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2007, 09:19:08 AM »
Thanks for the link. Ultimately, of course, it's up to the officer on the spot to make any entry/no-entry decision. I've had one situation where a customs/border agent advised me to take my passport when crossing at Niagara Falls and another who initially wasn't going to let me in (by boat) at San Diego because I'd mislaid my passport; In the latter case, a call to his office verified I was "in the computer" and was politely told "you're good". The first case was after 9/11 and the second one was before 9/11.

Wendy

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2007, 10:40:14 AM »
You know, if we're gonna have to have passports next year to go in and out of Mexico and Canada walking and driving, we might as well get them now.
Wendy, Mike, and Gordon
2015 Allegro Ooen Road

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2007, 10:49:44 AM »
LOL Wendy, you're right. We've held passports continuously for over 35 years and don't understand the fuss some folks make about having to get them. OTOH I agree the cost hurts a little.

Ned

• Former Staff
  • ---
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2007, 11:44:56 AM »
The new passports have the RFID chips in them and bring along all the security issues that RFID has.  I'm glad I got mine several years ago and Lorna renewed hers last year.
2007 GMC Canyon

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2007, 12:42:04 PM »
All four of ours have RFID implants, although I'm not sure they help expedite corder crossings/entries.

Ned

• Former Staff
  • ---
« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2007, 01:26:26 PM »
The only thing they expedite is identity theft.  Got your tinfoil wallet? :)
2007 GMC Canyon

Tom and Margi

• ---
« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2007, 06:10:55 PM »
Ned:

I love this forum.  I learn things I didn't even know I didn't know.  ;) 

What are RFID chips and what are the security issues.? Tom and I got our passports last July or August while in Iowa.  Do we have these chips?  What do they look like (or not look like)?

Margi

Ned

• Former Staff
  • ---
« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2007, 06:57:24 PM »
Margi,

Your passports won't have the chips, they just started putting them in recently.  RFID chips store information, in case of the passport your identity data as printed on the pages and perhaps more.  They are passive devices and are read by a transceiver that activates the chip and reads out the data.  Although the government will tell you they can't be read beyond a few feet, with the right hardware they can be read from much greater distances.  Thus the security concerns.  The big risk is it makes it easier to clone a passport when the agencies rely on the RFID data for identification and less on the other, subtler criteria.  The details are quite involved but there are a lot of web sites that go into depth on the problems with this scheme.  I would refer anyone interested in this and other security matter to Bruce Schneier's web site and newsletters.

RFID chips are being put into many things today, like merchandise in stores so they can quickly scan the item for inventory and pricing information, and also to detect shoplifting.  However, each chip has a unique ID so the products can be tied to the buyer when you use your credit card to make the purchase.  Not just the type of product, but the exact item you just bought.  This can be good or bad, of course.

Remember, just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you ;)
« Last Edit: February 01, 2007, 07:00:55 PM by Ned »
2007 GMC Canyon

Barb

• ---
« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2007, 08:03:44 PM »
FYI... RE:  Passport Photos

We got our Passports in Dec of 05.  We got out Pictures taken at our local AAA office for $7.00.  Walgreen's also takes them.  And I  spotted a sign in the Wal Marts in La Quinta, Ca yesterday that advertises passports pictures taken for $9.98.

When we went to the post office to file the paper work, the postal employee thanked us for using AAA, cause they have good quality photos.  And that helps to expedite the process for processing ones passport.

Barb
Barb
2003 NRV Tradewinds LTC
2011 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited

Ron

• Former Staff
  • ---
« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2007, 08:09:33 PM »
We also renewed our passports a few months ago.  Took the photos with our Digital camera and printed them.  Took them about a month to get them back.  We juct sent them in via USPS.
Ron & Sam-home is where we park it. Currently located   HERE

Tom and Margi

• ---
« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2007, 09:46:39 PM »
Thanks, Ned.  I'm so grateful that you share your expertise with us here on the RV Forum.   We appreciate it, and I'm sure others do, too.

Margi

Smoky

• ---
« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2007, 10:12:04 PM »
Well we passed the walking test across the Mexican border on two successive days this week.  Driver's license works just fine and will continue to do so until 2008.

However, we detected an increase in the attentiveness to inspection.  Last year they asked what was in our plastic bags, and we answered that it was medicine.  They never bothered to look.

But this year the lines were MUCH slower.  We found the reason was because they were looking in every bag.  One drug my wife had in her bag was mostly in a box.  But because they ran short, she was given a couple more sets of pills in those unmarked sealed cards that normally come in the box.  The border officer was not happy at all about that.  He considered confiscating them, but then finally told her not to allow the drug store to do that again and let her pass.

Don't buy your hearing aids in Algodones.  Though they carry American brands at about half the American price, they insist on either cash or cashier check if you are going to walk out the door the same day.  If you are going to come back later to pick them up, they will accept a $1,000 personal check for deposit.  But when they are fitted and you do not like them, they will not refund any money you paid.  You can try other types at their store, but not get a refund.  I witnessed a VERY unhappy couple in this predicament.  They wanted to buy at Costco because Costco has a 6 month trial period and full refund if you are not happy.  But they had already put down their $1,000 unrefundable deposit.

In my case, I paid three visits there, and on each visit expected to be fitted with a Magnatone Shadow - X, their top of the line at $1100.  Each time they told me the aids were being delivered shortly.  But they kept asking for a deposit.  I wanted to try them before handing over a single penny.  finally I gave up.

I am ordering from America Hears, over the web and will get a 30 day full refund guarantee and lifetime service.  I will also get software and a PC cable so I can program the 32 channels myself.  Comes with directional microphones, 4 memory banks, 32 channels, a year supply of batteries, and more for $1500.  Their phone support is instantaneous with no waiting.  They also have live chat web support. If you get confused doing the programming, they will hold your hand over the phone or the web.  They even have special programming for musicians, which I am looking forward to.

Don't get your hearing aids in Algodones.

The magic of a campfire
the mountains get higher

Hosted by Over The Network