I just can't believe so many people have lied to me...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BoomerD

I've been looking at/for a used Class C motorhome for several months...and finally got serious about the hunt a couple of weeks ago. Almost every seller has told me..."This has a Ford V-10 and gets 10-12 MPG if you keep your foot out of it. I even got 15 MPG on my last trip to BFE."

Now...reading on the internet, I see that 7-8 MPG is more common... :'(

Of course, since none of youse know me...I should explain...I'm a virgin and have never been lied to before. :p

Maybe I can throw $1500 at this 03 Minnie...and get taller gears put in...that might get me 1-2 MPG better...and lose a ton of power. :D

Interesting I et 8MPG with a 38 foot class A pulling a towed, used to do better (With, believe it or not, a heavier towed) and have hit 11 mpg bobtail  (That is under normal conditions) 13.8 (Towing) under unusual conditions (like a 100MPH tail wind)

I would THINK a C being much smaller and lighter, would do better in the MPG department.

Oh, my engine is the Chevy 8.1, but that id dang close (on paper) to the ford V-10.. Just (in my personal opinion) better.

In the flat Midwest, 8.8 was the best I've ever done with my 31 foot Class C with a V10. Last week in the hills of Vermont it was 7.1.

See? Youse guys are proving my point. :p

I know that the V-10 with 4:10 gears isn't going to get "prius mileage," I'm just surprised at how many people have tried to lie about it.

This thing is only a 22 footer...so I HOPE to get 10 or better...but I'm not gonna count on it.

BUT...I have been surprised before.

I have a 2014 Winnebago Aspect 30J and I have been averaging 7 mpg towing a Jeep Wrangler...pretty good, eh?

Last trip with a 2000 E450 24 ft with 4.63:1 rear (per manual)
pulling CVR on Acme dolly .
1,100 miles on last trip, Ga. to La. and back.
Average 8.5 MPG.

10-11 MPG = what a dream.
Sounds like a salesman without a clue.

Both my buddy and I have 30 ft coachs with 7.4 GM engine. We both pull 18ft race car open trailers with cars and golf cars. My coach always does better on fuel mileage by at least 1 to 1.5 mpg. We both drive the same roads to the track, and at the same time of the day. If it's really hot out his is a lot worse because of the generator run time he needs to have the air going for his wife. His coach is 7" taller and 4.5" wider, we have never weighed the coachs but I wouldn't think his is much heavier. I do know his onan generator  uses more fuel than my generac does. All the onans I've had in the past have used more fuel than the one I have now. I never do jackrabbit starts, or mash the throttle on up hill climbs as  that is very hard on converters and transmissions. Not pulling I have got a tick over 12 mpg running 62 to 65 mph, but have also got 7 depending on the weather and wind.

By the way I pull in OD and never have a problem.

I have a Triton V 10 and was consistently averaging high 6 to low 7 mpg.  I replaced the old clogged up K&N air filter with a new nice disposable one from Autozone and I averaged hi 7 to low 8 on my recent trip to Florida. Even had my Onan generator on the whole time.  I keep up with maintenance like oil changes an checking tire pressure..  Doing all these little things can make a huge difference at the pump. I don't think my rig has done 10 mpg on its best day ever.  :)

My old 31.5' Coachmen w/V10 got 7-8 MPG and I didn't drive it hard.  The 8 was naked and the 7 was pulling a Jeep Wrangler.  It's not the weight so much as it is the big air dam of a front end, which is why a class C doesn't do much better than a class A.  Probably the best you can hope for is maybe 10 MPG with a newer model with a newer technology transmission.  My old 2000 model just had the 3 speed w/OD.

What most of those stupid people don't get...when I pull up to look at an RV, odds are, I'm driving our 2005 Expedition with the 5.4 l V8...on the freeway...with no traffic and using cruise control, it will usually get 17-18 MPG...there's no farking way the V10 powering a motorhome...which has HORRIBLE air flow characteristics will get great mileage.
It hasn't mattered whether it's a salesman at one of the RV dealers...or some private party trying to sell their coach...the story is the same. 10-12 MPG...usually with the line "the last time I went to <insert destination> I took it easy on the throttle and got  almost 15.  ::)
(yeah, sure you did...7 going, 8 coming back)

BoomerD said:
What most of those stupid people don't get...when I pull up to look at an RV, odds are, I'm driving our 2005 Expedition with the 5.4 l V8...on the freeway...with no traffic and using cruise control, it will usually get 17-18 MPG...there's no farking way the V10 powering a motorhome...which has HORRIBLE air flow characteristics will get great mileage.
It hasn't mattered whether it's a salesman at one of the RV dealers...or some private party trying to sell their coach...the story is the same. 10-12 MPG...usually with the line "the last time I went to <insert destination> I took it easy on the throttle and got  almost 15.  ::)
(yeah, sure you did...7 going, 8 coming back)
yah like one poster here claiming  "Not pulling I have got a tick over 12 mpg running 62 to 65 mph"  talk about BS    this takes the cake

Well,I got a comment,if your buying for gas mileage,you might as well forget it and stay at home or buy one you like and just hit the road and enjoy...

Well I have an older V-10 F-250 and pull a very small 18.5 foot 5th wheel and my best so far has been 12.84 - I am running 4:30 or so gears and a manual 5 speed transmission - my lowest has been 8.45 with a bunch of uphills and a headwind....

No trailer at all just the hitch and my generator in the bed and I can get 14....and that is taking it easy - more like 12 without the trailer....

Figure 8 and you will be more in the ballpark....

Jim

There are two things you have already, or will learn about rv's and rving and they are,
  1. Do not believe the most of what the salesperson tells you ,remember he or she is trying to sell you something so whatever they can say to convince you to buy is fair game ,after all 10 to 15 mpg sounds much better than 7 to 10 mpg.
  2. When fellow rvers tell you about the fantastic gas or fuel mileage they are getting ,just kind of look away ,shake your head and say "Yea right " RV's are well known for getting terrible fuel mileage. Nuff said....Alan

Molaker said:
Probably the best you can hope for is maybe 10 MPG with a newer model with a newer technology transmission.  My old 2000 model just had the 3 speed w/OD.

Yup, lower gross weight and newer synchronized higher gear transmissions are why newer vehicles are getting so much better gas mileage these days.  I believe my rig is 4 speed / overdrive.  I wonder what kind of trannys are being used on newer Triton V-10s in motor homes these days.

Hey, it's just that they are all Brits, since the Imperial gallon is 20% larger than the US gallon  ;)

Ed

I drive a 2013 Ford V10 E450 chassis with 2,680 miles on the odometer. My coach is a 2014 Winnebago Aspect 30J (32') and on a recent trip to Moab, UT from Las Vegas, NV and back I averaged 7.2 to 7.6 MPG. I do not have a heavy foot, I drive 58-62 mph and on the uphills I do not push the coach past its sweet spot (approx. 3,200 RPM, 40-45 mph on a 6% grade).

I would love to say that I averaged what some of the folks on this thread say they are averaging, but I have to call B.S. on the claims with this caveat...I live and drive in the mountainous Western USA, and I tow a 2005 Jeep Wrangler X. Perhaps those getting great mileage live in the Central Plains States (no hills) and don't tow.

Research before buying anything. If you are worried about fuel mileage stay away from Rv's, Boats, and Airplanes.  Class C - best I have ever gotten is 10 Mpg.(Ford V10) Boat is 7 gal per hour at 28 mph. private airplane about 47 gal per hour.

FreddyS said:
I believe my rig is 4 speed / overdrive.  I wonder what kind of trannys are being used on newer Triton V-10s in motor homes these days.

6.8L EFI V10/TorqShift? 5-Speed Auto. OD w/Tow/Haul

May i ask a question, I know fuel prices in the USA are a lot less than ours in the UK (about $7.50 per gal) but I am looking at buying a Gas RV although Diesel is the engine of choice for most European Motorhomes

And the reason I am looking at a Gas (petrol) RV is because I would install an LPG conversion, in fact most Gas RV's in operation in the UK and in Europe have this LPG conversion to them.

I have not found anything on this site to indicate this is what you do in the USA, why is that?

Surely with Fuel prices also rising in your world to would this not be way forward too

Back
Top Bottom