I just can't believe so many people have lied to me...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hugh, virtually all the LPG conversions on RVs we've read about here were done by folks in the UK.

There were many LPG conversions done on pickup trucks during the 'gas crisis' of the 70's, sometimes having the option to switch between fuel sources. The LPG tank sat in the bed of the pickup, so the original fuel tank remained in place.

molly said:
Surely with Fuel prices also rising in your world to would this not be way forward too
Nope, The amount of money it costs would be very difficult to recoup. The best thing to do is cut down on your driving. Besides that ever since 2009 the price of gas has been falling. It was around $5 per gallon back then and now it is around $3 per gallon.

Tom said:
Hugh, virtually all the LPG conversions on RVs we've read about here were done by folks in the UK.

There were many LPG conversions done on pickup trucks during the 'gas crisis' of the 70's, sometimes having the option to switch between fuel sources. The LPG tank sat in the bed of the pickup, so the original fuel tank remained in place.
I had one of those.  The tank was actually underneath on one side while the gasoline tank was on the other.  It had a lever under the dash to switch between the too fuels.  However, nowadays, finding a place to refuel with propane could be a problem.  The propane retailer must be willing to include the appropriate road taxes (and then file the paperwork and payment).  Since propane is not very common as a motor fuel today, that might be a trick.  Also, I am not sure how that fits into the scheme of pollution control.  One would think propane would be inherently cleaner, but it still produces hydrocarbon wastes that have to be dealt with.  And, how would today's computer controlled fuel injected engines operate on propane?  Conversion would likely be very expensive.  I suspect these are big reasons for not finding many propane fueled vehicles any more in the US.  There are natural gas fueled vehicles, but the availability of fueling stations is very limited and therefore NG fueled vehicles is mostly limited to fleets like municiple buses and the like.  Driving across the US is not like driving across the UK or even Europe. 

I have not found anything on this site to indicate this is what you do in the USA, why is that?

Surely with Fuel prices also rising in your world to would this not be way forward too

The major reason is the availability of LPG fueling stations: there are hardly any. Why not, you ask? Well, LPG isn't much cheaper than gas in the USA, and there is little demand for LPG as a motor fuel. The latter is a chicken & egg problem, of course. Lack of LPG fueling stations reduces demand, and lack of demand reduces the incentive to build & operate LPG fuel facities.

The motor fuel tax collection requirement that Molaker cited is one large part of the LPG availability issue. Another is safety+legal: The industry is extremely concerned that some idiot will screw up self-service LPG fueling and sue the pants off everybody in sight. It's one of the nastier aspects of doing business in modern America. Of course, Canadians have been doing self-service LPG for many years without difficulties, but that's not the good ole USA.

Hfx_Cdn said:
    Hey, it's just that they are all Brits, since the Imperial gallon is 20% larger than the US gallon  ;)

Ed

doubt there Brits and most likely canadian

The motor fuel tax collection requirement that Molaker cited is one large part of the LPG availability issue.

I understand now, it happened in the UK, our idiot prime minister, Blair, encouraged all of us to switch to Diesel and at that time diesel was seen as the more economical and greener thing to do.

So we all moved from Petrol (gas) to diesel, then after 5 years they put a tax on tax on diesel and now it is more expensive that Gas (petrol) and in the process government are bringing in extra revenues.

SeilerBird said:
Nope, The amount of money it costs would be very difficult to recoup. The best thing to do is cut down on your driving. Besides that ever since 2009 the price of gas has been falling. It was around $5 per gallon back then and now it is around $3 per gallon.

Gawd...I WISH...I'm in Washington State. Gas here is almost $4/gallon again. To my great surprise, it's 30-40 cents/gallon cheaper in Norcal where we used to live. (it used to be the other way)

Anyway...some folks seem to be missing my point here. It's not that I'm surprised to find out motorhomes get crappy gas mileage...I expected that...I was making light of all the sellers (dealers and private parties) who felt the need to lie about what great gas mileage their coaches will get.

Maybe I should hunt around for the "miracle" gas mileage gadgets that pop up from time to time...I'm SURE they work as advertised...:p (I KNOW it's true...I saw it on the intarweb!)  ;D

http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/alternative-fuel/gas-mileage/1802932

Looking at the possibility of fuel rising higher due to an added 12cent federal tax, proposed by two senators, one from Tennessee and another from Connecticut. The feds need more money.

Gary RV Roamer said:
. Of course, Canadians have been doing self-service LPG for many years without difficulties, but that's not the good ole USA.

Actually changing the subject just a little the Canadians seem to be doing quite well without the one cent coin, why can't the US take that on . No one can tell me that they would not save money in production of the penny. Just stuck in their ways I guess. The same may be said for the 1 and 2 dollar bills I suspect.

One thign to consdier, as I said, 38 foot motor home 9-11 MPG with a fresh wax job not towing, 8.1L on paper is not much different than the ford V-10.  Should preform about the same.

Towing 7-9 but I have not been able to wax it.. May get that done soon. (Health and weather issues).

I think 22 MPG for a 22 foot C is not out of line BUT, you got to try it to be sure, and it will depend on how you drive, and of course I'm giving best millage in the above, not overall average.. But here is a consideration.

I know folks who have a honking big pick up and a 35-40 foot 5ER... Towing ,,, they get the exact same millage I get.

Bobtail (Pick up only, not trailer) they get..... about half the millage my car gets and it's an older car, today's cars get half again what my current towed gets.

Here is my mileage from the last trip I took in our Class C 24ft from North of Toronto Ontario to Free Port Maine and back.

odometer kms         Liters Mileage mpg
Start 165552
stop 1 165875 323 91.40 28.30 l/100km 9.98
stop 2 166258 383 92.38 24.12 l/100km 11.71
stop 3 166604 346 92.87 26.84 l/100km 10.52
stop 4 166953 349 87.08 24.95 l/100km 11.32
stop 5 167354 401 92.80 23.14 l/100km 12.21
stop 6 167743 389 75.25 19.34 l/100km 14.60
stop 7 167963 220 74.79 34.00 l/100km 8.31
Average                       25.81 l/100km 10.94
I bolded the MPG for you, in contrast my Prius only uses 4.9 l/100km

Canuck, I won't lie...better gas mileage would be....better...but I'm not really expecting to get much more than 8-9. I usually use cruise control where it makes sense...freeway, light traffic, relatively flat...but in the hills/mountains, or in traffic, I try to modulate my 12EEEE lead foot. :D

John From Detroit said:
One thign to consdier, as I said, 38 foot motor home 9-11 MPG with a fresh wax job not towing, 8.1L on paper is not much different than the ford V-10.  Should preform about the same.

Towing 7-9 but I have not been able to wax it.. May get that done soon. (Health and weather issues).

I think 22 MPG for a 22 foot C is not out of line BUT, you got to try it to be sure, and it will depend on how you drive, and of course I'm giving best millage in the above, not overall average.. But here is a consideration.

I know folks who have a honking big pick up and a 35-40 foot 5ER... Towing ,,, they get the exact same millage I get.

Bobtail (Pick up only, not trailer) they get..... about half the millage my car gets and it's an older car, today's cars get half again what my current towed gets.

WOOT! 22 MPG would be great! :p

stop 6  167743  389      75.25  19.34 l/100km  14.60

That's  242 miles and you used 19.85 us gallons which equals  12.19 MPG not 14.60 and I don't believe u  got  12.19 unless your on flat ground at 45MPH

I am trying to compare the American C Class versus the European C class in terms of fuel consumption

I had a 28ft long and 11ft high C Class weighing about 5 ton with a Fiat Turbo 2.8l turbo engine returning about 17.5 miles per US Gallon but I guess the US C Class must weight a lot more to justify the lower consumption?

buchanan said:
yah like one poster here claiming  "Not pulling I have got a tick over 12 mpg running 62 to 65 mph"  talk about BS    this takes the cake
keep your negative comments to yourself, know it all. I don't have to prove nothing to you. I don't have a V10.

buchanan said:
stop 6  167743  389      75.25  19.34 l/100km  14.60

That's  242 miles and you used 19.85 us gallons which equals  12.19 MPG not 14.60 and I don't believe u  got  12.19 unless your on flat ground at 45MPH

Sorry we use imperial gallons which are bigger and I believe that would be heading out of the white mountains.

92GA said:
keep your negative comments to yourself, know it all. I don't have to prove nothing to you. I don't have a V10.
I know you don't have a V10 You clearly said 7.4L(454)I have owned and driven a 30ft 454 class A and the best I ever saw out of it was 8 on flat road at 55 mph not towing.No one anywhere ever got or gets 12MPG with a 30ft 454 class A MH end of story.Its not a negative comment per say, its just the truth of this whole deal which is what this thread is all about.

canuckrv said:
Sorry we use imperial gallons which are bigger and I believe that would be heading out of the white mountains.

so do I that's why I corrected it for u as this is a USA forum not Canadian

Back
Top Bottom