Starter Bumper pull

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rodney Davidson

My son is interested in a bumper pull starter. One child and a large dog. will be towing with a 2013 Ford F150 4x4 5.0. Will be towing in Colorado, Wyoming area. Looking for recommendations. Thanks..

Basics...

Find a RV with a GVWR less than the trailer rating of the tow vehicle. Then since its gasoline power you need to consider shaving off a bit more weight. Since you plan on being in the mountains I would most like suggest you look for a RV that fits the family. Then look to replace the current tow vehicle with 3/4 ton of some sort so the experience is improved over being margin because of a small capacity.

That's the problem. You want a RV that your comfortable living in. Doesn't work to try to fit a RV to the truck and living in RV that you don't fit. So he might find a RV that fits his truck but then don't fit the bed because its too small, or the water/waste tanks are so small you need to dump daily, etc. This is all about the comfort level vs weight. So I would look at RV and see what fits the family. More than likely nothing will fit the truck with margin for mountain climbing. You'll need to ditch about 10-15% from the GVWR of the trailer to ensure to no over weight the truck for climbing. Now if this was a turbo charged diesel or gasser then this limit is lifted.

(Looked up Ford specs) .... Roughly 7,500 pounds of trailer then deduct at least 10% (6,750# trailer).

Just for point of reference my 31' Jayco Eagle is scaled out at 8,020# so going to come down to how much comfort are you will to lose to fit the RV to the truck?...  ::)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kstoybox
Back
Top Bottom