Just Bought First PUP -- A Few Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dparker

My wife and I just brought home our first camper -- a "new-to-us" 1999 Coachmen Clipper 1260.? We're very excited and actually plan to use it a couple times this fall, even though New Hampshire nights can get pretty nippy.? I have a couple questions, though:

1)? The camper has a 2" trailer hitch on the back.? Can I put my 4-bike Thule bick rack on the back of my camper?? Is this safe?? Do I need to load the camper in a certain way to counter the added weight on the tail??

2)? How do you guys store your clothes when you are camping in your PUP?? Is there a way to avoid moving cushions and going under the dinette each time you want to change your clothes?

I appreciate any input that you may have. I'm sure we will have about a jillion more questions in the next few weeks.?

Griffin

2004 Chevy Trailblazer LT
1999 Coachmen Clipper 1260

1)  The camper has a 2" trailer hitch on the back.  Can I put my 4-bike Thule bick rack on the back of my camper?  Is this safe?  Do I need to load the camper in a certain way to counter the added weight on the tail? 

I'm be concerned.  You need %15 of the weight on the hitch.  I'd look for a way to keep the bikes on the popup, behind the tow vehicle or on the tow vehicle.

2)  How do you guys store your clothes when you are camping in your PUP?  Is there a way to avoid moving cushions and going under the dinette each time you want to change your clothes?

Camping alone, I kept my clothes in the tow vehicle.  Could never convince my wife to do that and we had to move everything to get anything.  You listed four names.  You're doomed.

The secret (for me) to happy popup camping is keep it simple.  The less stuff you have to deal with the easier it is.

Enjoy
Joel

With regard to the bike rack, I would prefer to have it mounted in the back and check/adjust your trailer weighting to achieve the 15-20% tongue weight.  As long as you have some flexibility in how you load your trailer, it shouldn't be too difficult to get the tongue weight where you want it. 

Our PUP does not have any drawers that are obstructed by the dinette so can't help you there.  Ours has a slideout dinette which is really nice because it opens up a lot more floor space.

~Irish~

We keep our clothes in plastic see through bins. If it's just my wife and I we store the clothing bins on the other bed when camping and on the floor when travelling. If we have our grandkids with us then we store the bins on top of the storage cupboard across from the dinette. We also transport our food in heavier plastic bins but just to be on the safe side, especially if we're in bear country, we keep those bins in the car.

Back
Top Bottom