Prodigy Brake Controller Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lowell

Note: There was not a trailer connected during the following:
Today we drove the pickup on some of the back roads in the national forest.  The roads were  a bit washboard, but really not all that bad.  I've driven much worse in the past.  Anyway, going back home tonight on the interstate, the prodigy brake controller started to flash -.-.  I checked my prodigy installation book or manual and it didn't show anything for this code.  If the  brakes were applied, it would change to . .

We stopped for dinner and when we came out I checked to see that the plug on the back of the prodigy was fully engaged.  It was.  I started out again and it continued to flash -.-.  But  a few miles down the interstate it went to showing a continuous . . with no flashing.  The continuous . . is the normal correct mode mode when the trailer is not connected.  I'm getting ready to make a 500 mile trip soon with the trailer but I'm a bit perplexed with today's prodigy signals.  Does anyone have a clue as to what may have caused this performance?  I may have to postpone my trip until I'm satisfied I have a correctly functioning brake controller.

Here is a Prodigy Troubleshooting chart. I fit doesn't cover your problem, there is a Tech Support contact at Tekonsha who will help you figure it out.  There are also a couple of technical bulletins that were issued to describe some problems not covred in the manuals or with older versions - see Prodigy Bulletins.

The only code I see with flashing bars is an out-of-optimum-level indicator. It refers to flashing top and bottom bars that look similar to what you describe.  There is an illustration on the "tow card" that summarizes the codes. See Prodigy Tow Card

If that's it, your controller may have jiggled loose and tilted beyond its built-in self-compensation range. It may just be telling you it is out of its optimum performance range.

I have had that code show up on mine when doing dash work and took the controller down, still connected, then returned it after my chores. It recovered I'm now 5,000 miles later no problem, as long as it goes back to the '..'.

Nelson

Gary,

You were right on the money. I called Tekonsa Tech support and they confirmed that I needed to tilt the brake controller up a bit more to achieve optimum level.  I guess that during the bouncing around on the back roads, the controller had tipped out of it correct position.  Thanks for the help.  Boy, do I feel better! 

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chaderic
Back
Top Bottom