Disconnected connector on alternator?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

afchap

In late March I had my coach in for annual service when the shop found the alternator was not charging properly. Long story short, the alternator was replaced. They failed to replace the coolant filter as requested, so today I did that. And looking up at the new alternator I found a loose electrical connector that goes to two wires at the bottom of the alternator. I have driven the coach several times for a total of over 2k miles since they replaced the alternator, and have had no problems, warning lights, etc. Can anyone tell me what the wires on this connector powers??

The service ticket says "Installed alternator, found unit not charging. Pulled connector for the 2 wires going to I and R post. Started unit and found unit is charging." It does NOT say the wires were reconnected.

One owner on another forum commented that he has heard that when a Leece Neville alternator is replaced with another brand, this connector may not be used. Bugs me to have a connector hanging unused, but perhaps I need to get over it in this case?

I can easily "fix" /re-conmect it IF it needs to be connected (much easier than taking the time to drive miles and wait for them to get around to it). Question is whether or not it needs to be connected...

The question I would be asking is why didn't you know there was a charging problem before bringing the vehicle in for service.  A red warning light should have been illuminated, and/or the volt meter on the dash should have been below 13 volts.  It's not something that can be ignored for long.

mistere said:
The question I would be asking is why didn't you know there was a charging problem before bringing the vehicle in for service.  A red warning light should have been illuminated, and/or the volt meter on the dash should have been below 13 volts.  It's not something that can be ignored for long.
That was one of the questions I chased 3 months ago with not totally satisfying answers ...but there's a new question now about the connector.

What are you going to do if you hook up the wire to something and you fry the new alternator. That's why I say bring it back or at least call them.

Paul, I think I'd call the shop that did the work and ask them. The explanation you heard from someone about a different brand alternater not needing that wire hooked up "may" be accurate. The fact that you don't seem to be having any electrical problems would support that. If the person doing the work intentionally left it disconnected, they should know why. It's certainly worth a call .

Kev

Paul, cant say for sure what the I & R connections are for, probably ignition and rectifier. On your 03 you could have had a LN remote sense unit. On the LN units that are converted over they have to do something with the extra wires, namely the extra ign excite wire and the tach control (R wire). Most of the LN units had a remote sense that powered the tach on your dash off the back of the alt. and used app 5 wires total. The newer alt. they use to replace them with usually only need 3 wires. The tach connection etc are wired different after the conversion so the extra connector on your harness is not needed. If your old style quit your tach would not work either and your dash warning light would illuminate. After the conv the dash light should still illuminate if the alt quits. The extra connector is not cut off and taped in case you ever want to use it again. The newer alt are not near as good IMO as the LN but most don't understand how they work so they get rid of them. Don't know what alt problems you had in the past or how you got to where you are now but seems like it's all working. I would also call the shop for an explanation to see exactly what they did. If for no other reason you know for future reference or problems. Good luck.

First there are several types of alternators.. FORD on some of the larger vehicles uses a "One Terminal" there is only one terminal, (The Battery terminal) no I no R, this thing works well, it is self exciting,

Of the two, I believe I is the idiot light,, R likely is the ignition sense for the alternator,  NEEDED on a 3 terminal alternator, not needed on a 1 terminal (I may also be the Ignition sense,,,  Basically it "Flashes" the alternator if the alternator needs flashing, also flashing a light at the same time.

Finally was able to get hold of the service place. Had a relayed conversation with service gal between me and the tech. His answer was that these wires do not need to be connected with the new alternator, so guess I'll tie the connector up a little better and forget about it.

Thanks Afchap.. Re-read my last post please.. You will see that I mentioned some alternators ONLY use a single wire (Battery) no other.  I specifically mentioned Ford. but these alternators likely fit several different engines.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CampMike2270
Back
Top Bottom