EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products PO Box Zone
Over The Network Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: Local channels n Direct TV while traveling  (Read 6672 times)

lb0456

• ---
Local channels n Direct TV while traveling
« on: June 25, 2014, 07:40:37 PM »
Does anyone else have a problem getting local channels thru Direct TV? We have a 5th wheel parked with the Genie and travel in a motorhome in the summer. We have aWinegard portable satellite receiver and the Durect TV DVR in the motorhome. No one at Direct TV knew how to handle the situation. After an hour they finally told us to contact Winegard. They were closed by then of course.

weewun

• ---
Re: Local channels n Direct TV while traveling
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2014, 08:21:10 PM »
I assume that you get all other DirecTV channels you are subscribed to except the Local channels.  I also assume you are using the correct Satellite Dish, a Single LNB dish won't work.

The Local Channels are "Spot Beamed" and not available after you travel a couple of hundred miles from home.  You will have to change the Service Address on your account to your current location.  You might get some push-back if you get an inexperienced Tech at DirecTV, they will try to get you setup a separate account for your RV, which is not necessary. 

I generally do not bother unless I am going to be at the location for a week. 
Walt Williams

2015 Mobile Suites Lafayette
2009 Saturn Aura

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2014, 09:06:49 PM »
As Walt mentioned, you cannot get the local channels in all areas with a single LNB dish/dome. In fact, in some areas you need a different type satellite dish because locals are on a Ka band satellite - I'm in one of those right now, on the central Maine Coast..

If you changed your service address and still can't get local service, that may be it. What is the zip code there?
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

lb0456

• ---
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2014, 09:09:44 PM »
We have a dual LNB. Right now the zip is 97444 but tomorrow it will be different as we move a lot, just traveling.

vmyoung61

• ---
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2014, 09:43:31 PM »
Can't you use the antenna for local channels and Satellite for the rest?
Steve and Gina
2017 Thor Palazzo 33.2

lb0456

• ---
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2014, 11:14:14 PM »
For some reason we can't get antenna to work either

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2014, 10:35:13 AM »
Hmmm. The tv usually has a switching system of some sort that connects different video sources. Either an external video switch box or via selection from the tv's own inputs. Can you describe in a bit more detail what RV make & model you have, and the tv and its related components? Maybe you just aren't getting the signal into the tv.
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck

lb0456

• ---
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2014, 10:43:44 AM »
We have a2008 Coachmen Freedom Express 31SS but I don't think this TV is original as it is flat and hangs on the outside of the cabinet. The TV is a Samsung. According to my husband there is no specific video in or whatever for the TV.

Great Horned Owl

• ---
  • Lake county, IL
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2014, 11:09:41 AM »
For some reason we can't get antenna to work either

There should be an amplifier for the antenna. Is it turned on?

Joel
Joel & Dorothy
Retired electronics engineer. Avid photographer, paddler & birder.
2011 Silverado 2500HD, Duramax, 4x4,crew cab, 8' bed
Palomino Puma 253-FBS  27' 5th wheel
1994 19' Class B Horizon / Chevy

lb0456

• ---
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2014, 11:12:08 AM »
Yes. We did that. I know we must be doing something wrong but we can't figure out what. Lol.

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2014, 11:34:42 AM »
The tv has multiple inlet jacks and odds are the satellite uses a different one than the antenna tv (coax). Typically the satellite uses HDMI or component video (RGB) or even composite video (+ separate audio), while the OTA antenna uses a coax with combined audio/video. You may also have a DVD player of VCR connected somewhere to it. Samsung tvs typically have an extensive menu of input sources. Which one is it now set to, and have you tried selecting any of the others?

What model of satellite receiver is it? From that we can probably guess what the tv connection is.  And what do you see, if anything, when you try to view tv via satellite? Do you get the Direct TV logo and "searching for signal"? Or just a blank screen? Or maybe "snow"?

Same questions as above for antenna tv: what do you see on the screen?
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck

lb0456

• ---
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2014, 12:12:54 PM »
We can get direct tv channels, no problem. Just can't get locals, cbs, nbc,  abc, etc. For antenna we have input on air,(we've tried them all) screen is blue except while searching for channels, then it is snow.

Ned

• Former Staff
  • ---
  • Ned and Lorna are former full time RVers
    • Have you seen Rolling Stock?
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2014, 12:35:04 PM »
You have to change the TV input to the antenna before searching for the local channels.
-- Ned -- Fulltimer 1997-2013
1997 Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE
2007 GMC Canyon

lb0456

• ---
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2014, 12:38:10 PM »
Isn't that what we did when we input to air? Doesn't air equal antenna?

Ned

• Former Staff
  • ---
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2014, 01:09:51 PM »
Sorry, missed that part.
2007 GMC Canyon

ArdraF

• ---
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2014, 01:11:33 PM »
Can you get the DirecTV channels in the 390 series?  It will be even numbers (390) if you're east of the Mississippi and odd numbers (391) if west of the Mississippi.  Those are the major network channels which take the place of the low number local channels when you're on the road and move out of the spot beam.

The Input key on your TV remote is very important when you shift between satellite, over-the-air and the campground's cable TV so you have to make sure you're on the correct system.  When you move you need to re-program both the over-the-air and the CATV, depending on which one you want to use.  Have you reprogrammed the TV for the new channels?

ArdraF
ArdraF
:D :D

lb0456

• ---
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2014, 01:12:23 PM »
Oh. Whew. I thought I was even more confused than I thought. Lol

lb0456

• ---
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2014, 01:14:40 PM »
We have reprogrammed. And no, We don't get the 390 series. We did last year but this year I think direct tv is confused.

Ned

• Former Staff
  • ---
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2014, 01:49:31 PM »
You would only get the 39x channels if you had the Distant Network Stations feature on your RV account.
2007 GMC Canyon

lb0456

• ---
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2014, 04:47:16 PM »
That's why I don't understand why direct tv doesn't just give us those channels since had them last year

Jeff

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2014, 06:53:36 PM »
DNS is available if:

You only use the system in a vehicle ( At least as far as Directv knows)

You have applied for and received a DNS waiver from Directv

You have paid for the appropriate DNS package (East/West, SD/HD)

lb0456

• ---
« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2014, 06:56:19 PM »
Yep. Did that last year. Why would this year be different.

Jeff

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2014, 06:59:45 PM »
Yep. Did that last year. Why would this year be different.

Shouldn't be. The biggest problem working DNS problems out with Directv is that 80% of their CSRs don't know much about it. Ask to be raised to the next tech level or hang up and call back if you don't get someone who can help.

lb0456

• ---
« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2014, 07:03:26 PM »
Good idea. In the meantime we are going to have to see if our booster is bad or maybe cable for antenna cuz I think we're doing everything right to get the antenna channels. Then I'll just forget about Direct Tv in the summer. Thanks for all the advice and suggestions

Jeff

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2014, 11:18:49 PM »
When you say Direct didn't do it this year exactly what are you doing for the change from summer to winter?

lb0456

• ---
« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2014, 11:24:36 PM »
Last summer We had just one coach. This year we traded in on two. We have a 5th wheel now that stays parked and it has the Genie. In the smaller motorhome that we travel in the summer, we have the DVR.

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #26 on: June 27, 2014, 06:45:40 AM »
If you have separate accounts for the two systems, they EACH  need to be designated as "mobile accounts" and each one needs to be authorized for DNS service. There is a form to file for each vehicle. Are you getting the 390-series of channels on the system in the 5W? The one that worked last year?

If you have one account and two receivers, you may have DNS on one and not the other, or you may have lost DNS when you added the second receiver and another vehicle. There is nothing automatic about DNS - the FCC has very rigid rules that Direct must comply with. They will err on the side of caution rather than risk trouble with the FCC!

Since you get nothing when the tv is set to "Air" as the source, it may mean the antenna isn't wired to the tv. Maybe never hooked up, or maybe it was wired to the satellite receiver instead? That is an option on some receivers. What model receiver is in the motorhome?
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck

lb0456

• ---
« Reply #27 on: June 27, 2014, 10:12:52 AM »
I guess that's a possisility, that it wasn't wired. There is a cable hooked on the back of the tv for it tho. The satellite receiver we have is a Winegard 1518. We have no other receiver. I n the 5th wheel We don't get tested 390s. We get 3, 5, 15, etc for locals. I think we are going to take it to an rv place to see if the antenna is wired right

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #28 on: June 27, 2014, 08:14:16 PM »
The 1518 is the satellite antenna, a Winegard Carryout. What I wanted to know is the model of the Direct TV receiver in the coach, i.e. the box the Winegard is wired to, and which in turn is wired to the tv.

Some professional help would be good - they can figure out how your tv is connected to each source and show you how to set it for one or the other.
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck

Gord Nelson

• ---
  • Hey! This was easier when I was just 50!
« Reply #29 on: June 28, 2014, 02:08:32 PM »
When trying to set to "on air", have you tried setting your TV channel (on the TV itself) to either Channel 3 or 4.  Should be a label on the back of the TV to say which one.

Hosted by Over The Network