doggy-door in long-term park? old dog, digestive problems...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jomarex

My poor old dog. He's always been a little prone to digestive issues, but until I became an RV-full-timer a year ago, he always had a doggy-door to go outside.

He's eleven years old now, and I'm afraid it's not gonna get any better... The last couple weeks, a short trial of a new kibble and then even the recommended cure (pumpkin and white rice) have been going straight through him about half of the days, of course when I have to be gone for several hours. He is 90 pounds, so it is a BIG deal...

I'm in an RV park that I plan on staying in for maybe a year or two. Plenty of room, if I could figure out some way to let him (and his sister, who so far hasn't had any problems) out when I'm gone, and still not have them out there barking at everything they see.

Best thing I've been able to think of is building a little deck at the back door of my travel-trailer, put a shallow box of dirt with some kind of enclosure to keep them from seeing too much of the outside. Has anybody had this problem, and come up with a solution?

thanks
Joy

Your idea seems to be about the best I have heardso far. Two things to consider:  will the campground let you build it and what will they want you to do when you check out, leave it or make you dismantle it and take it with you..

You'll also have to deal with leaving the dogs outside while you are gone.  That could be a problem with the campground. 

It's so hard to deal with older dogs and especially ones that having trouble.

Marsha~

jomarex said:
My poor old dog. He's always been a little prone to digestive issues, but until I became an RV-full-timer a year ago, he always had a doggy-door to go outside.

He's eleven years old now, and I'm afraid it's not gonna get any better... The last couple weeks, a short trial of a new kibble and then even the recommended cure (pumpkin and white rice) have been going straight through him about half of the days, of course when I have to be gone for several hours. He is 90 pounds, so it is a BIG deal...

I'm in an RV park that I plan on staying in for maybe a year or two. Plenty of room, if I could figure out some way to let him (and his sister, who so far hasn't had any problems) out when I'm gone, and still not have them out there barking at everything they see.

Best thing I've been able to think of is building a little deck at the back door of my travel-trailer, put a shallow box of dirt with some kind of enclosure to keep them from seeing too much of the outside. Has anybody had this problem, and come up with a solution?

thanks

Joy

I have quite a few dogs and cats and have been invilved in animal rescue at one time. I treat all my animal's ailments with natural remedies...a lot of homeoparthic and herbal and nutritional support. I have an older dog with digestive issues. First thing; get the dog off commercial dogfood. Worst thing you can do is feed conmercial dogfood....and I don't care how many times it says 'natural' on bag...it isn't. Also, read ingredients...always. If it has the fat listed anywhere above th
e fifth ingredient...avoid. For older dogs, less protein and more fiber is better. Honemade meals always better....cooked okay...raw better. If raw, make sure its organic. Better if you can only do a few meals a week. Digestive issues repond well to probiotocs...low fat yogurt is what my boy gets every meal. Also digestive enzymes can help...there's a very good brand....will list at end of post.

Non-GMO grains in either dogfood or homecooked is best. GMO grains are making livestock sick...that gets into food chain. Try Dick Van Patten's brand of limited ingredients...NATURAL BALANCE or Costco has a comperable brand Kirkland No Grain dogfood. I uses to use a brand called Solid Gold....all organic with grains but pricey.

Oatmeal best for diarhrea.

Homeopathic remedies can also help and relatively inexpensive.

Sorry....forgot name of brand of digestive enzymes....will get back to you later.

I've always had a problem being *consistent*. Well, then on top of that, I can't even find a good combination of raw/homemade food for him. And I worry that they're not getting all the nutrients they need, and then I get super busy and get knocked out of what little routine I had going. So I'm always changing things around, which so many times gets his belly going wrong.

I wonder if this whole thing will make me think again about buying some land and going through all that hassle, just so I won't have to ASK if I can build a little deck up against my RV....

Back
Top Bottom