Tire Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wclement1248

This is a simple question, I think.  I am looking at trucks to tow 5er.  The max payload is 3,200.  The tire sticker says cargo can not exceed 2500.  Can this be increased to 2,900 (10%) margin with a tire upgrade?

Can you post of photo of this "tire sticker"? Or quote it more exactly?  Also, what is the Maximum Load & pressure data from the tire sidewall?  I don't see how the truck can be rated for a payload of 3200# if the tires can only support a payload of 2500#. I'm pretty sure that would violate federal safety labeling requirements.

It might be that the pressure (psi) shown on the tire sticker is that needed to support a less-than-max load, and all you need to do is to increase the tire pressure to get the full capacity. Most trucks generally are not carrying a full load, and less pressure would give a smoother & more comfortable ride.

Gary

Thanks for the idea. Tires are LT275/65R18E. 123/120s Tires are rated 3450 @ 80 psi. Sticker shows 60 front and 70 rear. 
GAWR is 6100 rear and 4800 front.  GVWR is 10,000

Still doesn't seem like there should be a 700 lbs difference

If you look up 60 & 70 psi in the load inflation tables for your tire size, you will find that the weight carrying capacity at that pressure is less than at 80 psi. Adjust the pressure to support the axle GAWRs and that becomes your max load limit. If you weigh the truck empty, axle by axle, you can tell how much payload capacity is left.

2 x 3450 lbs = 6900 and that exceeds the rear GAWR. I suspect that 70 psi in those tires is adequate for the 6100 max too.  Since those tires are already capable of handling the maximum axle load (GAWR), there is nothing to be gained by upgrading tires.

Thanks Gary.  The question now is can I trust the GVWR and max payload numbers?  I will need to weigh the truck axle by axel

The question now is can I trust the GVWR and max payload numbers?

You will go to an early grave if you get too paranoid about published info.  ;)  I won't claim that vehicle manufacturers have never published an incorrect spec, but the odds are strong that those numbers are accurate.

I agree.  It's just that many here subscribe to the theory that you have to have the biggest truck built even if you are towing a popup.  Thanks again for your help.

Wclement1248 said:
It's just that many here subscribe to the theory that you have to have the biggest truck built even if you are towing a popup. 

Many here, myself included, believe it is important to have enough truck for your trailer and not to push max truck limits, espicially if you are an "inexperienced" tower.
A DRW 350 is adequate for a pop-up camper... ;D ;) :p

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Knuckles2828
Back
Top Bottom