The adventure begins. Our maiden voyage.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
After 5 days in Grants Pass including 3 at Henderson's Line Up, we're back on the road and relaxing at Timber Valley Escapee park in Sutherlin.  Henderson's was rather $pendy but we did get one free night in their parking lot which has several 30 amp outlets.  We would have preferred to spend another night at the County Park, but getting there with the drive shaft disconnected would have been challenging.  In any event, the 10 AM UPS arrives at 1PM and by 3 they've put in the new e brake shoe.  So now we're ready for our second 4 corner weigh and final test drive.  After my morning workout moving STUFF from one bay to another, we've almost got it perfect.  Only 450 lbs over weight on rear axle.  But the gross is under the 18,000.  Yeah.   

Gary be sure to look up Wally & Helaine , Tom & Margi and Connie L who are all long time rvforum framily while in escapees park!
Betty

Betty, saw Wally and Helaine yesterday.  They both looked good, especially Helaine who lost a few lbs.  They bought a shorter camper and plan on hitting the road again.  Mentioned QZ and what sounds like a rather long road trip.  I've seen Tom & Margi's name on various posts but never met them.  Same with Connie L.  If I run into them I'll say hello. 

Gary -  This has been a very busy weekend at Timber Valley as I'm sure you've noticed.  Wally and Helaine and another couple have done a really superb job of organizing the SKP Chapter 9 rally that has taken place here.  We'll be up at the clubhouse at 9 a.m. for the Pancake Breakfast, but will not be attending the afternoon festivities.  Connie L. will most likely be there, also.  Have e-mailed Helaine to know which lot you're renting so I can say hello, but I wouldn't be surprised if she and Wally turned in early tonight after all the things they've spearheaded this weekend.  We're on Lot 167.

Margi

Hi Marge, if I can get my bride to join me, we'll take a walk to the clubhouse tomorrow.  I've got long white hair that I keep in a pony tail and I think I'm pretty easy to spot.  If you see us walk over and say hello.  We're in lot #10.  At least I think that's what it is.  We have a green Rexhall Aerbus and a silver HHR.  If we don't make it for pancakes, we'll try to catch you a bit later in the morning.  I remember seeing your posts in the RV Forum.  Don't recall seeing Connie L.  If we connect in the AM, you can introduce us to Connie.

Gary   

Gary, I'm sorry because I think I mislead you.  The pancake breakfast is a Chapter 9 function and required payment of yearly dues and rally pre-registration last Thursday.  We'll try to stop by Site No. 10 to say hello sometime this morning.  Your lot is between Peg Russell (10) and Annie and Mickey Thompson (9), a very friendly place to be!

Margi

Congratulations on your new coach. I'm glad to hear you are getting a chance to enjoy it now, the more you use it the better.

I've learned to drop the gear down when I reach the top of the hill when a descend is coming up so I don't get up too high of speed. I know the grade you mentioned from Bishop to June Lake, we travel that at least twice a year and sometimes more to escape the desert heat. It is a long and slow drive but it is worth it once you get past the climb.

Marsha/CA said:
Marsha~  (in Wyoming where it was 45 degrees this morning...burrr)
Marsha, way to rub it in. :p  It was only 82 here when I got up at 4:30 this morning and now @ 2pm it is 105. I'm ready to escape this heat next week.

I had an all-too-brief, but very enjoyable, conversation with Gary and his lovely wife after the Chapter 9 breakfast on Friday.  This was a very busy weekend at Timber Valley, unfortunately.  They were on their way this morning, so I hope they enjoy the rest of their time in Oregon and return to Timber Valley again.  ;D

Thanks Marge.  The feeling is mutual.  We'll give you a heads up next time we're in the area.  Tell Connie we're sorry we didn't know who she was when she stopped by with the welcome package. 

Campfire RV said:
Marsha, way to rub it in. :p  It was only 82 here when I got up at 4:30 this morning and now @ 2pm it is 105. I'm ready to escape this heat next week.

Josh, it was near 100 in Sutherlin yesterday when we had the AC running most of the day.  We only have a 30 amp system so only one AC at a time.  I guess that makes us half cool or half hot depending on where we're sitting.  Even L.A. was cooler.  :eek:

We just checked into LaPine State Park.  Nice spot with the river behind us.  Warm here but hopefully will cool by tonight.  I think the warm weather is chasing us around the West Coast.  Hopefully by the time we get to Minnesota and Wisconsin we will have escaped the warm weather.  Still Minnesota in August?  Not too likely.  Grew up there and remember waking up in sheets that were soaked with perspiration.  Those were the good old days when most people didn't have AC.  Come to think of it, even the cars didn't have AC.  Now that was roughing it.  lol

Go west, young man, go west!  At least when it's hot in the Willamette Valley or Umpquah Basin.  ;D ;D ;D  The coast was probably pretty nice today.  Doesn't really fit in with your eastern travel plans, though.  :D  La Pine is our high desert.  This time of year it's more "desert-ish", but other times of the year it's just delightful.  Hope you return soon.

garyb1st said:
Hopefully by the time we get to Minnesota and Wisconsin ...

Gary  we just passed through WI and  enjoyed  Taliesin( Frank Lloyd Wright's home)  in Spring Green and The  house on the Rock. It is Terry's turn to plan and he takes me to fascinating places. Just some tourist advice.  Loving to hear where you are  located.

Thanks Terry, changed the profile and I missed it and I typed it the first time.  Not sure where I got DuroMax...oh well thanks for catching that.

Chuck

Wow, another week.  We're in Coeur d'Alene at an RV park near the Spokane River.  Not a great park but after our last two days, anything will suffice.  When we left La Pine, we drove to Plymouth WA and spent two nights at a USACE park.  We have always enjoyed Corp. parks.  When we got in, the host gave us a CD with all the Corp parks in the US.  It has a map and facilities list with campground info. for each state.   Since we were heading to Coeur d'Alene, we checked the Idaho page for parks.  Sure enough a Corp park right on the Dworshak Reservoir.  The name if you're interested is Dent Acres.  Never heard of it but heck, if it's a Corp park it must be OK.  The park is not bad.  It's older and could use a few infrastructure updates but overall OK.  If you like fishing and boating it's probably a 10.  However if you consider the 18 mile drive to the park from Orofino, you might downgrade it a bit.  Maybe a lot. 

The drive up from Orofino was challenging.  At least for me, a still relatively new and inexperienced motorhome driver.  The host, who told us the 18 mile drive from Orofino was rather twisty, forgot to mention it was also a bit hilly.  OK if you don't mind twisty mountain roads with grades up and down as much as 11.4% you'll probably enjoy the ride.  However, if that doesn't get your juices going you might want to consider a different park.  My biggest concern once we were at the campground was how would I get back down.  I tried in vain to connect with the internet to consider my options.  But the Verizon Air Card could barely pull in a connection.  So we got out the old paper maps.  Unfortunately not very helpful.  There actually is another way to get to the park.  But that is via Elk River which is maybe 20 miles from Dent Acres and 15 miles of that is on a gravel road with an elevation gain of maybe a 1000 feet.  Not bad compared to the way we went.  The road in from Orofino is paved.  Still it is a typical somewhat narrow 2 lane road.  Not a lot of guard rails.  But it has spectacular views.  At least that's what Maria thought.  I was too nervous to look. 

Now that my heart rate is back to normal and we have an internet connection that I can actually use, I checked a couple sites to determine how significant those grades actually were.  The drive up began with a 1 mile climb of 400 feet.  That's 7.5%.  The next mile saw another 500 feet incline.  That's 9.5%  I still wasn't thinking about the return trip.  After the 3rd mile things settled down a bit.  That was a relatively flat 5.7% grade. Only 300 feet over the course of a mile.  Mile #4 provided us with the most exhilarating climb of 600 feet or 11.4%.  By the time we finished mile number 5 I figured we must be close to the park.  Remember its an 18 mile drive.  But after 5 miles at 10-15 mph, you figure you gotta be close.  The last mile was a measly 200 feet incline and only 3.8%.  Hardly worth mentioning.  The next 6 miles were relatively flat and scenic.  I was beginning to relax a bit.  But where was the park?  Oh, we still have 7 miles to go.  Now the road starts to go down hill a bit.  Actually the next 4 miles took us down 1500 feet.  That's a 7% grade going down on a twisty two lane mountain road.  Finally, we see the reservoir.  There's a bridge that crosses a branch that's maybe a 1000 feet wide.  But where is the park.  Oh, we still have 2 miles to go.  But it looks like the road is going up again.  That can't be.  Now I'm really looking for someone to curse at.  Up?  Again?  Yup.  Another mile of 9.5%.  Finally the road to the park entrance.  But where is the entrance.  That is another 2 miles of 7.5% grades down a road that made my stomach turn. 

So that how you get to Dent Acres at Dworshak Reservoir near Orofino Idaho if you'd like to go.    ::)     

Oh, the road down.  That was easy.  Disconnect the toad, put it in second gear and smell the brakes cooking. 

Oh what an adventure...<not>  But you survived and have more experience under your belt so to speak.  :)

We are in Thayne, Wy at Star Valley RV Resort which is off of Highway 89.  Would be fun to see you both if you can work it in. 

Marsha~

Gary, you got your adventure!!  ;D ::) :D  Never go on dirt roads unless someone has told you about it in a positive way!

ArdraF

Josh, it's warmed up a bit here, wish I had my 45 degrees back....80 to low 90s during the day and 50s or so at night.  We still need to run both A/Cs to keep things cool in the day.  We talked to some Kernville neighbors the other day and they are sweltering up there.  Hopefully you are in a cooler place. 

I'm tellin' ya we love this area in Wyoming.  Tim and I drove 18 or so miles up a forest service road to a local stream and caught 13 or so native trout...great fun.  I've begun playing "Pickelball" and we have now signed up for golf lessons.  Great fun!

Keep cool!

Marsha~

Marsha, we're planning on heading north to US 2 and then east toward Glacier.  From Glacier, we'll continue on the 2 all the way to Minnesota/Wisconsin to visit the kids.  We'd love to connect if you plan on being that far North.  If we had the time, we drop down to the Jackson Hole area.  Stopped one night a few years ago, had dinner at the Million Dollar Cowboy Bar and then spent the night in the parking lot of a local Safeway.  Nothing available in the area without reservations.  Something we usually do not do.  So far on this trip, no reservations, no problems. 

Gary

Back
Top Bottom