The adventure begins. Our maiden voyage.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wow, 2 and 1/2 weeks since I posted.  Let's see, after visiting my daughters, we headed Southwest toward Sioux Falls SD.  The city has a beautiful falls that is definitely worth a visit if in the area.  After two days, we headed west on I-90 toward Mt. Rushmore.  Along the way we stopped at the Corn Palace for a quick visit and then on to Big Bend USACE Park for two nights.  Not much to do but relaxing.  I think that marks the 3rd or 4th time we've camped on the Missouri.  It's one impressive river. 

Since Maria never went to Wall Drug, that was our next stop.  Again two nights before moving on.  Drove through the Bad Lands and stopped at a Minute Man Missile site just east of Wall.  Our generator stopped working on the way to Wall but fortunately the weather was cooling a bit.  Turns out the genny fuel pump died.  Two hours and $275 solved the problem.  Now it works like a charm.  Fortunately the weather had cooled and we didn't need to run the genny on the road.  After a two day stop in Rapid CIty, we headed to Mt. Rushmore and Custer State Park. 

We stayed at Oreville National Forest Campground for 4 nights.  Great campground about 5 miles North of the City of Custer.  No hookups, but only $9.00 a night.  Love that America the Beautiful Pass.  We were probably in the park a full day and a half.  The highlight in my opinion is the Needles Highway.  A twisty narrow road with a bunch of narrow tunnels.  The narrowest is 8'4" wide.  Just a tad too narrow for the Aerbus.  There are two caves in the Custer area.  Jewel Cave and Wind Cave.  We did a short tour of Jewel Cave since Maria's ankle is still too sore for longer hikes and any climbing.  After Jewel Cave, we drove South to see Hot Springs.  After a short visit, we drove back to Custer via the Wind Cave National Monument.  Another amazing drive in this beautiful area. 

After Custer, we headed West to Devils Tower.  I must say, there are a few long grades heading to Wyoming on US 385.  Thought I left those behind in Montana.  However, the area is simply beautiful and worth the drive.  We drove through Deadwood but didn't stop for a visit.  It looks like an absolutely charming area and is definitely on our list of things to do.  Actually the entire Black Hills area is beautiful and we will spend more time there during coming trips. 

We're just finishing our 3rd day at Devils Tower Monument.  There's a National Park Service campground that's quite nice.  Geezer rate is only $6.00, so $18.00 for the stay.  Now 3 days is a bit much for the area, but it's a holiday weekend and we didn't want to be looking for a spot until Labor Day evening. 

It's going on two and a half months since the adventure began and I must say, it's been a pretty good trip.  The motorhome has performed quite well and my biggest concern now is whether I should change the oil now or wait until we get back to L.A.  That's another 1,250 miles.  We've driven nearly 4,500 miles since we began this trip so it would be a tad over the recommended oil change interval. 

We're heading to Gillette tomorrow and then ?.  I'm ready to head back with as few mountain grades as possible.  Maria says, bring em on.  She's not driving.  Still, there's some tempting scenery between here and L.A.  Anyone care to suggest a route South from Gillette through Colorado or West through the Salt Lake area!  :)

Gillette west to Idaho and turn south on I-15.  One of the neatest freeway exits we've ever visited was the Blackfoot Rest Area on I-15.  It's part of Lava Beds National Monument and has three nice boardwalk trails with interpretive signs.  There's also Craters of the Moon and other neat places.  We enjoyed the drive on I-15 with "backside" views of the Grand Tetons.

ArdraF

There are some absolutely bat-sh*t crazy people who go to Devil's Tower...

I took these pics a few years ago when we were there:

http://www.whodah.com/albums/album06/aah.jpg

http://www.whodah.com/albums/album06/aaj.jpg

http://www.whodah.com/albums/album06/aai.jpg

I'lll second Ardra's suggestion about Idaho. Lots of beautiful things to see there...especially if you're not in a hurry.

Stanley, ID, along the Salmon River, Sun Valley/Hailey, Craters of the Moon, etc.

Thanks Ardra, considered that but we're heading to Phoenix and taking I-25 to Casper made more sense.  We just don't know where we're going next.  I'd like to go to Glenwood Springs but not sure of the roads.  Ever gone from Casper to Glenwood Springs, CO?

Gary

Boomer, great pix.  Reminds me of last night at about 9:30 PM.  Maria noticed lights on the tower.  I assumed they were permanent but they were moving down.  Turns out two climbers were repelling.  There was a light rain and we thought maybe they were stranded.  Called 911 to report a possible emergency and found out climbers descent regularly after dark.  Gave me chills just thinking about it.  Many years ago when I was young, maybe 55, I took my son to a place called Rocreation, an indoor climbing place with a wall maybe 35 to 40 foot high.  I made it about 20 feet and was worn out.  All I can say is these climbers are in exceptional condition. 

Gary   

Home at last.  Actually we got home last Friday and have been baking in a home that has been without air conditioning an hour after we turned it on.  Service guy came saturday at 6PM.  It started right up when he was there.  No more than 10 minutes after he left it stopped again.  This time for good.  I guess.  Anyway, it's been quite warm in our area.  Monday and Tuesday it was 113 according to the cars electronic readout.  Of course, the same readout said the right rear tire was flat.  So a slight credibility issue.  Regardless, it was and continues to be hot.  So it's off to Home Depot and back with two window units.  Enough to keep the bedroom and office cool until the heat move on.  But that's not what this thread is about. 

After more than 11 weeks, I thought I had seen almost every kind of terrain.  That was before we entered the Flaming Gorge National Recreation Area.  The Gorge begins in Wyoming and ends in Utah.  On paper it looks great.  However, driving the canyon was rather challenging.  At least for our under powered gas motorhome.  The most intimidating part was the final 10 mile downhill drive with grades of 5 to 8% including 10 switchbacks.  Seriously, 10 switchbacks.  The sign at the first switchback said 9 more.  The next sign said 8.  Just in case you thought maybe the thrill ride was over.  Actually it wasn't that bad.  We disconnected the toad and I kept it in 2nd gear for the entire descent. 

We entered the Gorge after two long days of windy Wyoming roads beginning at Devils Monument.  At the end of the second day we arrived at the campground.  A dried up Forest Service Campground run by concessionaires who were no where to be found.  Question.  Aren't Forest Service Campgrounds supposed to be in the forest.  A huge disappointment after the long and tiring drive through Wyoming.  Our hopes of finding a place to kick back and enjoy evaporating rapidly while setting up in a dry, dusty campground with winds that would not subside.  At least until we turned in for the night.  Then, just when we needed them, they stopped.  Thankfully we got one of the remaining two electric spots.  We grabbed one and set up asap.   

Aside from the disappointing campground, the Gorge is actually quite beautiful.  Many dramatic views of the river winding through the Gorge thousands of feet below the road.  The various colors of the canyon walls warrant a longer view and stopping at one of the many viewing points along the way was tempting.  But stopping and starting on a significant uphill grade just didn't seem prudent.  On the way out, we drove past many other campgrounds which were in the thick of the forest.  At least the areas had trees and likely were closer to the water.  However, getting to the campground didn't strike me as straight forward and I was running low on patients.  A small travel trailer or Class C would probably do well.  Even our 32 footer might have made it.  If I wasn't so ready to get home, we might have ventured into one or two.  Maybe next time. 

The entire adventure was 10 days shy of three months.  For the most part, it was enjoyable and the Aerbus performed quite well.  There are a few things I need to attend and will as soon as the temperature drops to close to normal.  Todays high is forecast to be 102?.  Still a tad warm to do any serious work.  By the time it cools down, we'll be in San Diego to help my son and his wife and the new grandson.   

Glad to hear you made it home safely, Gary and Maria.  What an adventure!  With more to follow I'm sure.

ArdraF

Back
Top Bottom