3g/4g booster plus an antennae? then satellite internet, is it worth it?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TravellingTrader

Hi All,

I'm trying to understand which Wilson product we need for a small class C and whether we need a separate antennae to go with it.  Then, can we use a retail wireless router so my wife and I can both get the boosted signal?  If not, what wireless router do we need?

What are the best Internet Satellite services?  We boondock a lot and I have to have internet access.  I experienced hughes net service about 5-7 years ago and speed was very bad. Has it gotten better?  What is the best satellite internet provider?

I'm very willing to pay for quality.  I hate fussing with things and unreliable products.

Any help would be much appreciated.

TT

If you stay in areas with good cellular service, you won't need an external antenna or a booster.  If you go to the fringe area, then both will be a big help.

As for satellite internet, the only advantage it has is if you spend time in areas with no cellular data service.  It's not really too slow, but the latency is what hurts.

TravellingTrader said:
Hi All,

I'm trying to understand which Wilson product we need for a small class C and whether we need a separate antennae to go with it.  Then, can we use a retail wireless router so my wife and I can both get the boosted signal?  If not, what wireless router do we need?

What are the best Internet Satellite services?  We boondock a lot and I have to have internet access.  I experienced hughes net service about 5-7 years ago and speed was very bad. Has it gotten better?  What is the best satellite internet provider?

I'm very willing to pay for quality.  I hate fussing with things and unreliable products.

Any help would be much appreciated.

TT
what is a RETAIL wireless router?  If u get the Verizon jetpack system  as long as u have cell service u will have internet Like the previous poster said if your on fringe areas then carry a booster antenna system

If you get a cellular modem, used with a booster or not, it has a router included with support for up to 5 (or 10) devices connected via WiFi.  You don't need a separate router.

Ned said:
If you get a cellular modem, used with a booster or not, it has a router included with support for up to 5 (or 10) devices connected via WiFi.  You don't need a separate router.
that's what the jet pack is. correct?

buchanan said:
that's what the jet pack is. correct?

Yes, that's the MiFi5510L and it supports up to 10 devices on 4G, 5 on 3G.  There are other models also called Jetpack.

Ned said:
Yes, that's the MiFi5510L and it supports up to 10 devices on 4G, 5 on 3G.  There are other models also called Jetpack.

yes I know thanks.Looking at things out west if I wanted on the road internet I think I would use the Verizon jetpack system.I know several people whom have it and its quick and very effective.
Being as I park my DPMH on my own RV resort lot for the winter I hook up to TW road runner.its fast, unlimited and 41$ PM  includes modem and taxes included
I then use a magic jack phone which is 1.70 per month to phone anywhere in north America at any time and talk for as long as u want
cant beat a MJ phone system.I use it in my S+B house(where I am now) for the summer. so cheap its hard to believe(almost free)

Since I'm new to all this stuff, I hope my reply won't be considered dumb. Where I park, there's no service for TV or internet except for satellite but I got a Cricket phone and pay the $66 a month for the unlimited internet and tether that to my Chromebook. I'm all set.  I don't care about TV so much. I can get all my local and national news online and then watch shows online, too, or from thumb drives my family puts stuff on for me.  Living in a small space, this is really a nice way to do it.

Thanks all.  Which wilson product should I be looking at for obth 3g and 4g?  Also, it looks like the Wilson products comes with an antennae, do I need, or is "booster antennae" helpful on top of the Wilson antennae?

I'm a little late, but here goes....

It is a little complicated so I recommend you call Wilson and discuss your requirements and they can recommend a specific package.  At our stick house in ranch-land boonies, DW gets a very poor Verizon signal and I get okay AT&T coverage.  I finally installed a Wilson repeater (amplifier, indoor antenna, outdoor omni antenna at 20' above the ground), now I get a strong AT&T signal 99% of the time and now DW, instead of roaming, now gets a poor Verizon signal.

Cell carriers hate to allow roaming since they have to pay other carriers for your roaming so even though DW's roaming cell signal is significantly stronger, the phone is programmed to stay on Verizon until there is practically no signal.

Oh, mobile satellite internet - I don't recommend that for a plethora of reasons that I won't go into.

We have a Wilson Sleek V which is 4g for Verizon that comes with a small 3" magnetic antenna that is currently sitting on top of our DVR up in the top of the front cap of the motorhome. It requires that the phone or modem pack be mounted on the cradle .

I use a Verizon smartphone with unlimited data and it has worked great all over the country for us. This year so far we have had one spot out in the Rockies where we had no signal.

Before cellular data became available and practical many of us used MotoSat but even 3G data is faster and 4g beats it hands down. With MotoSat there always seemed to be technical issues we were dealing with as well as no data while on motion. I would never go back.

Sat internet is internet EVERYWHERE (or darn close to it) Using 3G/4G you will find dead spots, where depends on your carrier.

However I gave up Sat and use #G+ park Wi-Fi.. IT has worked well for me.. Where I am just now I get unlimited no signal from my Wireless carrier, but the phone works great with Park Wi-Fi.

And in the places I park without Wi-Fi... 4G is limited to 6.5 Gig (I generally use less than 6) and 3G is not limited at all.

4G is limited to 6.5 Gig

John: Do you mean your particular data plan is limited to 6.5 gig? Cause that limit is certainly not anything inherent in a 4g cellular connection.  For all the major carriers, anyway, it's basically whatever you are willing to pay for. I use  8-10 GB monthy and I know some who run 20 GB or more.

MikeCoke said:
Jeff since you use the Wilson Sleek do you know if the Hot Spot feature on my iPhone will still work when it is in the cradle?
Mike

Mike

Sorry I missed your question.

It sure does.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom