Pulling a Trailer behind my Popup???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cris

Hi,
I have a 2007 Fleetwood Niagara and I was wanting to take it to Colorado this summer.  We have a Polaris UTV that we would like to take along.  I was wondering if it would be possible to pull a small trailer (like a 5' x 8') behind my popup.  What would be the best way to hook it up?  What about light hookups?  Can my popup handle the extra weight and strain of a trailer?  Any thoughts would be appreciated!  Thanks!

Besides the safety aspect, you may want to check to see if its legal.  I'm not sure but I don't believe you can tow bumper hitch trailers in tandem.  The front trailer would need to be a 5th wheel.

I frequent another forum that focuses on pup ups, since untill very recently I was a pup owner myself!

Lots of discussions through the years of all sorts of problems form people just installing a bike rack or similar on the back of a pop-up......
The weight on the back unloads the tongue.... lots of sway problems, etc.... so the tongue weight of your 3rd trailer would do the same
Frames of popups aren't very sturdy to begin with and are vulnerable to issues, according to some, even with a simple raising of the roof with the stabs down.....or when out of level.
The bumpers are flimsey at best, so without serious mods, there is no way to install a hitch.....

On the other hand, some folks do double tow in states that allow it.
I'm only guessing, but I would think the pup would want to ride as tail end charley behind a more suitable trailer such as perhaps a 5th wheel.....???

Does the Pop-up have an A/C unit?
If not, I say go full Redneck;  by ramps and drive the ATV onto the pop-up and strap it down.  Just remember to unload before you "PoP-Up" the top! ;D ;D ;D

My popup does not have an AC.  That being said I did think of putting my UTV on top.... but.... I think it would be too heavy.  It is a Polaris Ranger 800.  I'm not sure on the weight of the UTV, but does anyone know of a weight limit for the top of my popup?  Thanks for all the replies..... it sure helps!!!

not enough!
Great idea for a mod though!
I'm not a fleetwood/coleman expert.... does your '07 have the ABS roof?

anyway, re roof loads
http://popupexplorer.com/forum/index.php?topic=72149.0

Please don't tow behind or roof load that UTV with a POP up.  As stated...  All kinds of wrongs there.

Can you find a trailer big enough to tow both on it?

Or there is a company that makes a bed cover you can load ATV/UTV's on top of.  Lots of wind drag and top heavy there but doable.

I have seen popups with a stretched frame, so an ATV sits in front of the box.

Attachments

• toy-hauler-pop-up-camper.jpg
    toy-hauler-pop-up-camper.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 21
I saw a post someplace a while back, a guy did a homemade copy of one of those toy haulers.  He built a HD frame with larger HD axle, balanced the pup on it..... really proffesional looking!

I like the atv in front of the pop-up, but he has a UTV, Rangers are big and heavy, not to mention long, some states allow tandem towing (Florida) not dangers if done right, but you can not backup (at least very far). UTV will not fit in a pickup either and would probably damage a popup roof and overload the suspension of most units.

Besides the safety aspect, you may want to check to see if its legal. I'm not sure but I don't believe you can tow bumper hitch trailers in tandem. The front trailer would need to be a 5th wheel.
In Indiana you can... bumper pull to pumper pull. But as far as I know, Indiana is the ONLY state that allows this.

Fifth wheel to bumper pull is accepted in many more states. Some do not allow a "double tow" at all.

As far as a "pop-up" goes? I don't think it will work well with a pop-up. Add the weight of another trailer on the tail of the pop-up and you will be horribly tongue light. It will be a disaster waiting to happen.

Our first rv was a pup. That rear bumper was so cheaply made that I would never attempt to tow from it. You would have to do some major structural beefing up. Then a pup being so light to start with, I can’t imagine what it would be like tracking with a trailer behind it.

Our first rv was a pup. That rear bumper was so cheaply made that I would never attempt to tow from it. You would have to do some major structural beefing up. Then a pup being so light to start with, I can’t imagine what it would be like tracking with a trailer behind it.
I'm no Nostradamus, but I'll prophesy hitching a lead weight ( Polaris on a trailer) to the back of a pop up which is hitched to a tow vehicle is sway (pendulum affect) waiting to happen.

Back
Top Bottom