Quality Manufacturers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sierrabus

I'm brand new to the RV world (and to this forum) and would appreciate a little help. I want to purchase a toy hauler, pull trailer 21' to 24' and I'm looking for a quality make that will assure me of being for the long run trouble free, well engineered, relialble and durable. The old adage, "you pay for what you get" holds true most of the time, but not always. I'm willing to pay extra for qualiy as long as I know I'm getting it.

So I'm wondering who among the builders of toy haulers do the best job, offer the best components at a reasonable, competitive price.

It's been a little daunting trying to accomplish this. I haven't found any equivalent Consumer Reports that evaluates the different versions of RVs. Weekend Warrior seems to be very popular. Northwood Manufacturing which makes the Desert Fox toy hauler emphasizes superior construction and so on.

Any thoughts, advice, suggestions would be most appreciated.

Bob

For the very best, unbiased , information on rvs go to the RV Consumers Group--
  www.rv.org

The very best place to get accurate information on an RV is from current or former owners.? This forum is also an excellent place to get information.? In general salesman are not a good source for information.? Many times the will tell you what ever they perceive you want to hear to close a sale. IMHO there are some very honest RV salesman but they are? in the minority.?

Unlike Consumer Reports the RV Consumer Group does no testing that I am aware of, and I suspect that unless they have changed recently they very seldom if ever even view the RV/s they are reporting on in person.? Had I not recognized the what I consider inadequacies in their reporting we may have very well missed getting our American Eagle which has proven to be an excellent motorhome and could have made a big mistake and bought a much less desireable motorhome.? While there are some that favor the RVCG information I cannot personally recommend them as a good reliable source of accurate and unbiased information. Of course this is just IMHO.

I recommend you shop around and when you find what you think will fit your needs then come here and ask questions.? Also if you find a current or previous owner ask them.

Good luck on your search

I wouldn't dismiss the opinions of the RV consumer's Group. We joined them in 97 ( think it was $100??) and with their help got a 5th wheel for half price. They have a good data base and we found the $100 well worth it. There is a section on the site "About Us" and includes the following quote
In the mid-1980's, JD Gallant began studying the RV industry by working as an RV salesperson in several dealerships for a number of years. Among many things, he learned that RV salespeople are generally uninformed and often give the wrong information simply to make the sale.

They know their stuff and it is a nice site to go and get info. They are up to date...as far as I know. You'll get opinions here, but it is from a dated bunch....for the most part.

Ron boy has been bad-mouthing the RVCG for a long time. He would rather have you following his very biased bad-mouthing instead of the very unbiased information from the RVCG.

I do not know of any other source of UNBIASED rv information except for the RVCG.  The RVCG is highly respected by a great many people.

The RVCG is aware of Ron boy's bad mouthing and he is being monitored!!

Nothing against anyone on the forum, but there is a tendency to take what is mentioned here as gospel. Other sites and opinions are marginalized...based on my observations. I think that is obvious looking at posts and such. Lots of old minds I guess ::) However there is a lot of good information offered though. Just have to be selective ;)....now, where did I put that crank for the car?

Can't say enough good about JD.....discovered him thorugh a forum run by Howard in the 90's. Not sure what it eveolved into...anyone know?

Please do not attack forum staffers. It violates the forum rules and the registration agreement we all agreed to when registering for an account here.

To my knowledge, Ron has reported only his personal experience with RVCG. I have no personal experience with them but, if they don't like Ron's truthful reports then it's a black mark against them AKAIC. I suppose I'll be "monitored" now  :(

Don't care for the free Yahoo groups and not sure what you are referring to. The RVCG did us a great service and saved us a ton of money....I call them as they are seen. If there is a helpful outfit, why not use them? Forum staff are free to bash just about everything, as I think members do???? Geez, why are people so territorial? ....oh well, time for a new aluminum hat to guard against the tracking ::)

woodartist said:
Forum staff are free to bash just about everything...

Not so. While folks call it as they see it, staffers will tell you I ride herd on them in the back room if they step out of line. Similarly, staffers are granted open season to beat me with a 2x4 if I step out of line (and they do).

I also have first hand experience with the RVCG.  They do not respond to members reports of errors in their data and therefore I do not believe their data can be trusted.  RVCG has some good general advice for buying an RV, but don't rely on it for specific makes and models.

Oh, well. Moon phase, over medication, senile, drunk, who knows. JD saved us 10,000 when we got our 5th and as a result have to say they did a great job for us. Thought he was very honest and knowledgeable...FYI

Yes Ron is very opinionated and he has strong opinions on a number of things. BUT, he lets you know that it is his opinion and will generally explain his experience in developing that opinion. I have never seen an RVCG report, but I have heard that the ratings are based on the RVs meeting certain criteria, such as wheelbase to length ratio. IMHO, degree of wheel cut and rear overhang can be as, or more, important. But RVCG doesn't drive the RVs they are rating and I have to wonder how they can adequately evaluate the vehicles on which they are reporting. You can take a set of numbers and make them say almost anything you want.

I don't mind using Yahoo Groups and find the same feeling about RVCG expressed on those RV groups as well.

woodartist said:
What is the feeling on Yahoo????? Times change and maybe I'm all wet?

The general feeling is to save your $100 and drive a lot of the RVs you are interested in.

Interesting........that sure wasn't our experience. We paid the 100 and saved 10,000 through negotiating with the dealer ( Earnharts), based on JD's input about the RV. Did drive a lot of RV's throughout the West in order to get a good feeling about them and stayed away from a lot :) Oh well, we were satisfied and aren't in the market for another yet. When we are, we will probably pay the 100 ( insignificant) and see what happens. ;D Always rely on people who know more than we do...well worth the 100. ;)

Gheez  Glad I Don;t trust RVCG, Yahoo Groups,  or JD  I'm a loner and do my own decisions. Know enough about  Vehicle and houses that If I can't make the right decision then why in the hell would I want some one make the decision for me.  If it's wrong are they going to give me the 100 bucks back  Yeah Sure.  If I can't make up my mind by driving the units and looking them over and reading about them, then I don't deserve to own one.  If you think Ron is opinionated don;'t read anything I write then Cause personally I think anyone that uses any of the 3 above couldn't make up their own mind to weather or not they have to go to the bathroom.  But to condemn Ron is asinine.  He calls things as he sees them and tells you it's his opinion. As for the groups eyeballing him  They suck anyway so who cares.    Sure sounds as if a bunch of whiners have suddenly appeared and trying to control things.  Not what this forum is about.  The forum staff here do a great job and personally glad they do and for the past several months now I have completely disengaged myself from the other forums of this nature because of it. If you ever met Ron and talked to him, you won't;t find a nicer guy anywhere and wouldn't hurt a flea.  Well, maybe a bad comparison, he'd probably squash it but you get the drift.    At least one thing he sure don't deviate from his position, That is great in my opinion.  I neither would change my mind nor opinion just to please some ass or asses that don't;t know what the hell their talking about in the first place cause 9 out of 10 times they are a stupid desk jockey that takes a bunch of notes and devises a tale or article like 95 % of the news and sports writers do,  None of them really have a right to do as they do cause their out of their field.  How many of those people in those groups do that much RVing?  More than likely NONE, if any.    Guess I've spouted enough but as I said I too am opinionated and wouldn't have it any other way  GREAT JOB  RON

Not everyone is blessed with the wisdom and intelligence that some of the geniuses that post here are. If you need a brain surgeon, I guess you can just check it out here ;) Seriously, there are others out there that know a lot more than you do. There is always someone in the world smarter, better looking, etc. Fact of life. I know old people are opinionated and the aging process is well documented...........and there are a lot of seniors on this forum. So, the opinions of those are factored in by the younger folks ::)

Perhaps but there is for too much nonsense here lately that isn't called for and maybe the youngster should listen to the older pros.  Afterall they been their and done that.  When things like this appear I like to set back, and that I will do, and say go ahead sucker and suffer later.  No wonder these jokers in these groups keep giving advice when then don't do it themselves, because they have a bunch of gullables listening to them.  And as a former sales mgr of an auto dealer and Rv dealer if you think this joker saved you 10K then you are as gullable as they come.  Simple as that.  Cause you for sure are a salesmans dream.    Yeah  I've been there done that too.  Maybe this isn't appropriate for this forum but you and your associate Jack are dead wrong about Ron and I can't let it be said without stating my opinion and that's what it is  same as Ron's  AN OPINION  If you don't like it  disregard it and go on with your life.  Damn but I hate sugar coating things.  Some day I'll have to speak my mind.

Gee Shayne, don't blow a gasket. I don't have any problem with Ron and my post was that JD saved us 10,000. That is a fact. He gave us some good input on the rig that helped us negotiate  the price in half. I was there and know what happened. I kind of know my way around sales a bit ;) There are other people who do know something ;D

I don't know Jack and there isn't any connection with him. I just validated his opinion, based on the post. I am open minded...to a degree and agree with his post about the RV site.

Take your meds, and calm down. Opinions are interesting but they are like...well, we all know. Kind of feeling sorry that you can get so agitated about minor things and won't post anymore here. Don't want to do any damage. Again, chill out ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom