A little advice for a newbie!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hpripstein

Hello all! I know you've all probably been asked these questions a million times but please bare with me.

My boyfriend and I are selling our home in 6 months and traveling the country in an RV for 3-5 years while he works. We will most likely stay in one location for 6-8 months before moving on to the next. We thought we wanted a used A class but everytime I see a new 5th wheel I just love the layout, more kitchen space, etc. and since we will be there full time with our dog... What are your thoughts. Also we will both need transportation to get around and get to and from work. Obviously with the 5th wheel we will have a truck, can you also tow a car behind that? And can you two 2 cars behind and A class? Maybe a smart car or mini cooper or something? Any advice would be great!

No, you can't tow 2 cars behind a motorhome, nor can you tow a car behind a fifth wheel trailer.  You could tow a trailer with 2 cars on it, but that would require a rather large diesel motorhome to get the towing capacity.  Another possibility is a toy hauler motorhome with one car inside and another towed.

Thank you Ned, I guess those were stupid questions, I didn't think there was a way to tow two cars without a toy hauler but since I am new to all of this I thought it didn't hurt to ask, there may be something I am missing.

No stupid questions although you may sometimes get stupid answers :)  Ask away if you have any other questions, which I'm sure you will.

One thing I will say.. SOME states, that rule on double towing might be.. different.. (I will make no further comment because in one state where I know the law,,,, it changed between research trips).

That said. I would not wish to try and double tow at least without buying my tow vehicle from www.trail-hauler.com  or someone like them.

This I will say,, Class A or 5ER.. I will talk briefly about the advantages of both:

Trailers (5ers included) do not much mind sitting six months in one spot, or for that matter six years.. At worst you need to repack bearings and replace tires.

MOTORS.. DO complain.. Sometimes, though many motor homes do sit six months (WINTER) and fire up fine in the spring.. Make sure you use fuel stablizer.

Second: With a motor home and a car I get around 8MPG towing, 24 running to the store.

With a 5er, 8 MPG towing, perhaps 16 running to the store.

Since you are staying a relatively long time in one place, and only moving a couple times a year, you don't need to try to tote two vehicles.  I'd recommend that you get a trailer (5th wheel or travel trailer), a good stout pickup or SUV to pull the trailer, and when relocating, just follow in your car to the new location.  Once there, you'll have the car and the tow vehicle to use for as long as you stay there.  At worst you would probably only have to drive separately for a day or two.
The added benefit of this arrangement is that you have a "free" vehicle if you need to go for help, buy a can of gas, or just want to leave the camping rig parked and go to a restaurant for dinner while on the road.

Thanks guys for the advice, you are probably right about just sucking it up and driving separately to the locations. We also came across the Voltage toy haulers yesterday online, and a salesperson told me they have a 5000lb CCC and people store CJ's in them all the time. We have a Suzuki Samurai that might fit (about the same size) in there or a 3400lb Mazda...but I wonder if it is worth the loss of space. Although once we are parked and that space is emptied it would make a great laundry station/patio/work area.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom