New Flooring for the Jayco 5er

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

atxrvfamily

As with the many posts I've read here, we are tired of the disgusting 14 year old carpet in our Jayco 5er.  We've used Allure Traffic Master in stick houses and had good luck in the past.  Seems very durable, and looks good too.  The only part of this project that I'm really concerned with is the slide out "seam".  Our rig has a super slide (13 ft long) in the living/dining room.  When I'm installing the new flooring, I've read in a few posts to butt the long edge of the flooring to the edge of the "real" RV wall (aka, against where the slide rests when open).  I'm concerned about when I pull the slide in that the flooring will bind against it, and of course the slide will win that battle.  So the question is, do I fasten the floor to the sub floor at this edge?  And if so, with what...nails, screws, liquid nails? 
Another smaller concern is that the slide itself slides on the carpet currently.  It has rounded plastic bumpers on the bottom of it to help with this purpose.  Any ideas on how to deal with those bumpers, in terms of making them slide across the new hard flooring, without leaving a mark?  I've heard of Slide out Slickers, but curious if anyone else had a different idea.  I will run the slide in a little once the carpet is removed to see how/what happens to the plywood sub-floor as far as scratching/binding...read some posts a while back where people had some pretty serious scratching issues without the carpet to help the slide come in and out.  I'll get and post some pictures of the seam and the rollers today...I'm a visual person.  Any thoughts, help, or encouragement are welcome!

I think I found my own answer...in Ernie's yahoo group photos...https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/erniesremodelingandrepair/info.  It was at about photo 200 I think.  HAHA.  It looks like I'll have a fair amount of room  (3/8 - 1/2") at the slide edge so when the slide comes back into "travelling" position it won't bind against my new, much thinner, floor.  as for replacing the slide carpet I may need to add some sub-floor and put on a nice edge molding to cover the slide "joint".  I'll take pictures before, during, and after...maybe it will help someone else along.

We replaced our carpet this past spring and chose to stay with carpet because of slideout concerns. Our slides have large rollers that put considerable pressure on the flooring and dent the carpet where they rest when fully in. Didn't want to risk wood, laminate or vinyl planking, plus we like the carpet feel, so we stayed with it.

Right now I'm assisting a friend who is installing Allure vinyl plank is his Endeavor motorhome. It is being glued to the subfloor. His slide has no pads - just the smooth exterior of the floor, but the slide rides up on a metal edge that seems to carry most of the weight.

Work to install is about the same whether you choose hard flooring or carpet, as are the concerns about fastening the edge by the slide. If the slide has a flush floor there is a overlapped edge that can be removed or raised enough to work under. If not flush, you generally have space to get your fingers under the edge and can glue or staple well enough to hold it. Details vary for each specific construction technique, but not terribly challenging if you are handy.

Ernie: It's a latex-base adhesive labeled for use with "luxury vinyl tile", off-the-shelf at Home Depot (Roberts #2310 is the brand). It's "pressure sensitive" in that no solvent or heat is needed to make the bond, but it appears to have a relatively slow cure time. It tacks nicely while still allowing enough work time to position the planks, but still needs 24-48 hours to fully cure. No problem walking on it after several hours, though.  I think the cure time could perhaps be improved with more pressure, but we were unable to find a heavy roller to rent here on the "Down East" Maine Coast.

In our previous MH we installed Allure tile full floating except at the edges where We used double sided tape. Worked very well for the nearly three years we kept the MH.

It also had a L R slide that dipped down far enough to drag on the Allure when moving. I bought a short section of clear plastic hall runner and placed it under the slide while moving in or out. Worked perfectly. Obviously, I could have fastened it under the leading edge of the slide to accomplish the the same thing.

Ernie

Yeah, Ernie. The front label says "as soon as" in tiny letters and 24 HOURS in big print. The fine print on the back of the can says 48-72 hours is typical for a full cure and that has been our experience.  But it's nice and tight within a few hours and that's all that's really needed until its time to move the slides in for a test.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
urnwholesaler
Back
Top Bottom