Removing AC from roof and plugging hole.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

acenjason

Hello all:) I have a 1975 Winnebago Brave. I live and play in the high rockies. My Winny has an old broken AC unit on the roof. I don't want to have it fixed because it would be expensive and I don't want AC cause its cool at the high altitudes that I camp. I would love to just get rid of it and plug the hole. Has anyone done this? Does anyone have an idea how this could be done? Thanks for your time:)

WILDEBILL308 said:
Welcome to the forum.
You could measure the opening and buy a vent to cover the hole.
Bill
I agree with Bill. You will want some ventilation and that would solve both problems. Barring that, it would just be a matter of framing the 14" x 14" hole with 2x4s and skinning it over with f/g or an aluminum panel and caulking it or using eternabond tape around the edges.

The air conditioner uses the same 14" x 14" roof opening as a standard crank-up vent, so the easiest thing to do is just buy a vent and mount it in place of the air conditioner.

Or you could put in something like a Fantastic Fan to get air circulation inside the rig.  This would need a source of 12 volt power run up to the unit instead of the 120 volts the AC uses.

Hey thanks!:) I think I will put a crank up vent in. Get some light during the day and also some air in. I am slowly updating my classic Winny and adding light during the day will really make things brighter:) Thanks again:)

acenjason said:
Hey thanks!:) I think I will put a crank up vent in. Get some light during the day and also some air in. I am slowly updating my classic Winny and adding light during the day will really make things brighter:) Thanks again:)
Good choice...... when installing, be sure to use the caulking putty that sometimes come with some new vents. You may also want to add Eternabond tape to ensure no leaking and reduce maintenance over the long haul.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awiltzius
Back
Top Bottom