I hate my 8.0 Dometic 2852RBX 2 way fridge

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alaska Family

title speaks for it's self.  i have replaced almost all the parts and the coach is a 2011 Fleetwood fiesta 34B.  New; cooling unit, board and thermestor.  works for a while...then needs more new parts.  fixed....but not really.  some of this was covered under warrantee but i am losing for recommendations for a new fridge.  Prefer more control and feed back from the unit.  any help?????  Current temp is 15 above in the freezer and 54 in the fridge.  i live in AK.....doing better with a cooler and ice......not real happy right now....I wish to replace the whole thing with something different and much better.  I am full timing with my family during the summer in Fairbanks, Alaska.

Thanks for listening to my rant.....

Brent

Brent you will find many of us here that have given up on the reliabilty, performance, and safety of RV absorption refrigerators  and have switched to residential compressor driven models.

A search of the Forum will bring up lots of discussions on the subject and here is one of many online sites that provide extensive info on various manufactures products.

They are 110V only that require about 1500 watt inverter and adequate battery supply.

Brent, we do a fair amount of boondocking and when we bought this motorhome it came with a 120 volt residential fridge. I was skeptical about dry-camping with it - especially since we never had any problems at all with our LP fridges. I guess we were lucky, because it seems like absorbtion fridges are the most complained about items on this forum. After using it, I can tell you that we are very happy with our big RR. If you've got the room for one, and an inverter and battery-bank big enough to run it, they're great.

Kev

New; cooling unit, board and thermestor.  works for a while...then needs more new parts.  fixed....but not really.

More parts? What other parts are there except the physical shell of the box? An absorption fridge is a pretty simple device. Sounds like somebody is throwing parts at it without figuring out the real problem.

A residential fridge is an alternative unless you really need the propane capability. However, with enough battery capacity and an inverter, plus the generator for recharging daily, the residential fridge gives you more space and much better cooling.

I only going to answer to my personal decision, I went with from a 8.5 Dometic to a Whirlpool 11 cf in the exact same opening, we do not dry camp enough that batteries and inverter don't keep up, I picked up enough additional space in frig to add ice maker, with the problems with Dometic (with boiler a few years ago) and problems with Norcold (or as some people say "Not Cold"), I went to basically all electric (except 3 burner LP stove top) on my motorhome (have convection micro).

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Davidomero
Back
Top Bottom