wallpaper application questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

93Coachman

I have done a search and read thru a lot of the papering post and still have a question or two about application.  We are going to strip the whatever covering off the board backing.  And we have found a nice texture paint able wallpaper. That is pre-pasted  will the pre-pasted adhere well enough on its own or would you use another adhesive to help out.  The walls seem tohave a fairly porous texture to them. And don't look like they will head much prep.  Thanks again everyone for all the past help and support Don in KY

Stripping the paper off the walls may present a problem you didn't expect.  That paper was applied as part of the wall board construction, and not as an after thought.  I doubt seriously that it can be gracefully removed.

I would consider cleaning and sizing the walls and then applying your new paper or paint.  JMHO

I agree with Just Lou.  Put sizing on wall over the current wallboard, then apply your paper over that.

OK I will just pull off the parts that are peeling and leave the rest.  Less work  that way. Thanks!!!!!!!  Keep them comments coming folks love them  Don

I was actually wondering if anyone ever did this.  The bathroom is the real ugly duck in our new MH..... brown sheet vynil flooring, brown cabinets, and brown wallboard.....
Not usually a fan of wallpaper, but I was thinking something like that might brighten the pace up a bit.

I guess my real question is how well the pre-pasted paper really holds to the walls or should you use a different adhesive ???

In my vast experience with pre pasted wall coverings, they really do need a  proper surface to adhere  best.  To cover over the walls of an RV will require sizing first (to reduce the slick surface of wall) and  it can never  hurt to  use additional  adhesive as well.  Just be sure to wipe off excess before it dries or it is a real mess.

The edges and corners will be places the paper may  lift or peel.  I you do  apply prepasted without the additional adhesive you can always use the adhesive to "Patch up" lifting areas.

Chances are a  bathroom will not get a bunch of wall traffic so give it a chance without  extra adhesive.  Be warned that  the bathroom angles and  edges can be  a bear to  apply paper.  Keep it  fairly wet so you can slide it around to get it in place and keep very sharp razor blades for  trimming.  Good luck and take before and after  photos for us.

Pre-paste paper comes in a lot of quality levels, so I would be cautious. Moisture is a problem in an RV and pre-pasted papers often don't deal well with that. Or anything other than ideal conditions. I would look for a non-pasted variety and use a top quality vinyl wallcovering adhesive. Or at least something rated for bathroom and kitchen use - those usually have better backing and better adhesives if they are pre-pasted.

Consider painting the walls as an alternative. As Lou said, that probably isn't wallpaper - it's the actual surface of the paneling. A good coat of primer is all that is needed in most cases.

Thanks !!  That's what I needed to hear. I was worried about heat build up and wall paper rolling off the walls.  Got some nice paintable  paper  so I'll go with the  paste too.  Will post pictures when I get smarter :)    thanks again Don.  Next dumb question will be finishing around steps when going to fake hardwood floors. The fall project before our first RV migration south 

Back
Top Bottom