gas tank wont fill 1995 ford 460

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

acramer

Hello  --  Ive had this problem for a long long time...  I cannot fill my 75 gal gas tank on my 1995 ford 460 Kountry Star.  I can fill it with a 5 gallon gas tank.  If I use a gas stations pump the gas will start coming out (I think) the vent hose.  Faster I try to pump the faster it comes out all over the pavement.  If I go extremely slow it will fill about a gal every 5-10 minutes.  Also my gas gauge does not work in the coach.  I had the motor home in a truck repair shop for something else not long ago and ask him to look at it.  He said it very rusty on top of the gas tank and he didnt want to break anything, so he didnt do anything.  Im thinking about selling it (only has 21000 miles on it) and didnt want to sell with this problem.  Any ideas what my problem is and what i can try to do with this?  Didnt want to spend tons of money taking to an RV shop but may have to.  Also I  thought someone maybe be able to help to reduce cost if I have too...  thanks in advance...  Allan

I had the problem filling my gas tank myself and was very frustrated. I was told to drive up on a 4 x 6 inch block on the filling side of the motorhome. I tried it and it worked out great. I use this method all the time now.
Sorry I can't help with the rest of your question.

My 92 460 always filled hard. Have to hold the nozzle at an angle, then go slow. Sounds like you may have a bad hose, either fill, or vent. Gage not working? That's $1000. Just had mine done. Fuel pump and gas gage are all one unit. They have to drop the tank, so the other issue will make itself present. FWIW, I wouldn't buy a vehicle that gets 8mpg, and a broken fuel gage. But that's me. 

And, I would find a new mechanic.

We had a Lexington MH that would not fill kept spewing gas back at you. Fixed with a block of wood under the rear wheels on the gas cap side. They had put the filler hose to low on the body thus creating a sag in the  filler hose. With the block of wood problem fixed it allowed the fuel to go down into the tank.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dmac3003
Back
Top Bottom