Worried about my Winny's roof.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

acenjason

Hello all:) So, I have a Classic 1975 Winnebago Brave. My Winny is stricken with a busted and unwanted AC unit. I am planning to take off the AC unit and install a 14?14 crank vent . I have been watching YouTube and reading up on the operation. I think I am now ready to do the job. To celebrate I ran into a truly epic hot fudge sundae:) As I enjoyed the goodness I had a terrible thought. I am a pretty big guy. About 280. What if I go up to do the job and cave in the roof of my precious Winny? Now I am worried to do the job. Has anyone ever heard of cave ins? Is there a reason to worry? Thanks for your time:)

If your roof is otherwise sound, 280 should be ok.  I am about your size and can get on my roof without issue but my coach is newer so YMMV. 

To be sure, maybe use piece of 4x4 piece of plywood to spread the weight out over a large area.

One thing you DON'T want to do at 280 is use the ladder mounted to the RV...none of them are rated for much more than 225..some less.  I use a free-standing 12 foot step ladder (type 1A rated at 300 lbs) to get on my roof....its much easier to climb and get on and off anyway...

What was the roof construction on a '75 Winnie? Back in the day, metal sheeting over small trusses was common and nobody can walk on those, regardless of weight. Some boards over the truss supports are a necessity if it has that type of roof.

John walker has it right, Before you worry about the roof, worry about that spindly little ladder on the back of most motorhomes, if that is how you plan to get up there. It may  not be rated at all, and certainly not 285, and especially one that has been around a while.

And as they age, the bolts rust but it does not show, making a really dangerous situation.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Davidomero
Back
Top Bottom