EPDM Roof Options

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tobit

Has anyone bought any EPDM rubber lately for a full roof replacement?  I have a 19' camper I need to redo and looking at the various options and not sure what/where to buy from.  Dicor Brite-Ply seems really nice but it's really expensive and they state you must use their own glues and sealants.  There are some generic, white, EPDM materials out there that are cheaper, half the price of Dicor, but can they be trusted?  One Dicor place also quoted me $300 just for shipping cause they said it has to go truck freight.  For an 8.5 x 21' roll, this doesn't make sense.

What have you used and is there anything between the cost of general EPDM and Dicor?  Once remodeled, this camper will be temporary housing on my land while I build my cabin and will be parked under a canopy.  It will not be used as a traditional camper and, will likely never be registered in my new state once I get it there.  It will probably spend the rest of it's life under a carport as guest lodging.

I could patch it but it's been patched so many times and a small part of the roofs plywood needs to be replaced, I need to redo the whole thing for proper repair.

Thanks

Brad, thanks.. unfortunately, they are in Florida, no where remotely close to me nor my land.  I will have to go with a DIY solution, thanks for your input though.

it was just a thought...
you never know, there may be something similar near you
and I noticed this outfit in FL has a link on their site, "become an applicatior" which tells me they are selling franchises, which might indicate there are other folks doing the exact same thing.....

Just curious.... where are you that a trip to North FL is out of the question?

blw2 said:
Just curious.... where are you that a trip to North FL is out of the question?
I am in Maine, final destination is Southern Missouri where it will then be parked under a metal-roofed carport for the rest of its life.

ah, now that I read the whole of your OP again, I understand your reluctance to spend money on it.
How long does it have to last until it sees its final resting spot?

My Father In Law is in a mobile home in one of those senior only parks.  It's a doublewide, but sort of the same concept.  All of the units in the park are basically permanent, with nice attached carports, lanai's out back, and a full on shingle roof attached.  they still register as mobile homes though.

EPDM rubber roofing is pretty much a commodity and not solely an RV product, so I wouldn't be too concerned about brand. Here is one online source that others have used:
http://www.bestmaterials.com/EPDM-Roofing.aspx

I know you said it needs "proper repair", but if cost is an issue and long term it will be under a metal roof, consider just coating it with a brush on EPDM coating.

Gary RV Roamer said:
EPDM rubber roofing is pretty much a commodity and not solely an RV product, so I wouldn't be too concerned about brand. Here is one online source that others have used:
http://www.bestmaterials.com/EPDM-Roofing.aspx

I know you said it needs "proper repair", but if cost is an issue and long term it will be under a metal roof, consider just coating it with a brush on EPDM coating.
Thanks, unfortunately water has seriously damaged one sheet of plywood on the roof.  Cost is an issue, but if I am going to go through the hassle of replacing at least one sheet of plywood on the roof, I'd just rather put down a new full length rubber roof.  It's only a 19' camper.

Dicor EPDM sheeting is available through Amazon.com and some have free shipping (e.g. Amazon Prime)

Here is 8.5' x 21 feet of Dicor for $516 and free ship (after you pay for the Prime membership).

http://www.amazon.com/Dicor-85D40-21-8-5-EPDM-Roof/dp/B00IQ01TLU/ref=sr_1_49?ie=UTF8&qid=1405175681&sr=8-49&keywords=epdm+rv+roof

Or $513 from another vendor with free shipping.
http://www.amazon.com/Dicor-85D40-21-8-5-EPDM-Roof/dp/B00IQ01TLU/ref=sr_1_7?m=A2RUUZRXEF9SV6&s=merchant-items&ie=UTF8&qid=1405175947&sr=1-7&keywords=dicor

Gary RV Roamer said:
Or $513 from another vendor with free shipping.
http://www.amazon.com/Dicor-85D40-21-8-5-EPDM-Roof/dp/B00IQ01TLU/ref=sr_1_7?m=A2RUUZRXEF9SV6&s=merchant-items&ie=UTF8&qid=1405175947&sr=1-7&keywords=dicor
That's pretty good, thanks.  I might go with the place you recommended earlier as it's $100 cheaper even with shipping for a 60 mil. thick sheet.  I'm trying to keep the entire project under $700 if possible.

You might want to try some commercial roofing outfits around you. We have a shed rood section on our church and several outfits came to look at it and were quoting EDPM.

The suggestion of calling local roofing companies is a good one.  I recently did my 35' RV with TPO and was having a problem getting the product without purchasing a full 100' roll from local suppliers unless willing to pay a premium and a 2 week delay.  Many commercial roofing companies will have a piece of rubber or TPO left over from a job and you might be able to pick it up pretty cheap.  Let me reword that, at a discount.  TPO is what they are using on commercial jobs and pretty well goes down the same except each has their own adhesive.  I was able to purchase the adhesive and commercial grade TPO for $350 and the adhesive alone normally runs around $120 so I think I got a pretty good deal.

Minnesota Roofing in Alexandria Mn sells a product that you can put on with a roller.  I did this with my houseboat and it worked very well.  The  roof was 14 X 34 and I think the cost was just under $300.  It doesn't flow when you put it on, so will leave some roller marks in the finish, but that is no big deal and they do a lot of MH and TT every year.  A very DIY process.

Thanks for all the replies.. I ended up going with PPL Motor Homes.  They were able to send me 16' of EPDM, a gallon of adhesive, and a bunch of lap sealant and butyl tape for only $9.99 shipping.  Heck of a deal.  I should be able to start ripping off the old roof tomorrow.

I have not yet used this service.
They do come to you, per their advertisement.
It is a seamless liquid system.

http://www.rv-armor.com/rv-roof-armor.html

Well ive been looking for a while and compareing.. best place I found to buy epdm is your roofing supply there are only 3 manufacturers of EPDM so no matter the 20 brands that are out there its gonna be one of those 3. As for spray on.... its hard to find a difference in the clames of what they do. Im leaning tward doing a colored linex or rino sprayed liner next year when I do mine.
Theres gotto be a better product than the norm. ;)

Back
Top Bottom