rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Fridge Defend
RV Life Magazine RV Park Reviews RV Trip Wizard

Author Topic: Generator Quandry  (Read 1008 times)

mdbass

• ---
Generator Quandry
« on: July 11, 2014, 09:49:48 PM »
We live and work out of our 5ver in South Texas. Most of the time we are either hooked up to the grid or a generator. If the generator fails or we have to boondock, air conditioning is a must. Money is not an issue, but the DW just does not want to part with 3-6K for a generator. So; just how good are some of the portable diesel generators out there and how many kilowatts will it take to run at least one air conditioner in the 5ver (ideally, I'd like to be able to run both of the roof units-15000 & 13500 BTU)? Somehow I need to make this happen for no more than $1500-is it possible?

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
Re: Generator Quandry
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2014, 08:34:16 AM »
I see some advertised for around $1500-$1800, but no diesel generator is very portable - we are talking 200 lbs and up and probably 300+ for the size you will need. Typically the cheaper ones are noisy too. The better ones run $3k-$7k, e.g. an inverter-type generator that will just hum when loads are modest.

Your roof a/c draws about 12 amp when running and near twice that for a second or two each time the compressor kicks on, so two a/c requires a generator that can produce a sustained 28-30 amps and a peak well above that. And since there are always some others things drawing power (e.g. the converter/charger and any appliance not in LP gas mode). you would be wise to plan on something more than than just the a/c amps. 30A @ 120v is 3600 watts, so I would nort consider anything under 4000 watts sustained and 5000+ watts peak.

Here's a 7000W (peak) portable diesel that would probably meet your needs, but I've never heard of the brand and wouldn't make any bets on reliability or the ability to get parts and service when needed.
http://www.wayfair.com/Pulsar-Products-Diesel-Peak-7-000-Watt-Generator-PG7000DOF-PLSR1025.html

Another one from Northern Tool - might have a better chance for service.
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200510935_200510935
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL