Fridge doesn't seem to be cold enough ...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thomasamski

We just left on a trip and the Norcold refrigerator in the rig doesn't seem to be cooling as usual. It worked fine yesterday and now food is thawing out in the freezer. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Is the refrigerator operating? Can we assume you have checked your propane supply, power from 110v and 12v sources.

While disconnected from a 110v supply have you had someone cycle the refrigerator while listening outside for the gas relay and igniter to work?

Is there an ammonia smell around the cooling system outside or yellow powder under the coils?

Does the refrigerator seem to catch up while parked and then warm up while traveling?

Thank you for the response. The control board on the front and inside lights are on, but I don't hear any of the usual noise from the fridge. Also, when turned on the AC and LP blinks and then only a period flashes on the screen. By recycling, do you mean to turn it off and then on again? It' been in the mid 90 today.

Yes while outside have them turn it off and then back on.

What model of Norcold?  I don't think the period should be flashing - it is on steady on most Norcold models. In some models, a flashing dot indicates the fridge is in "back-up operating mode", meaning that the internal thermostat (thermister) is no longer working and the fridge temperature control is therefore unreliable.

The thermister is the little gadget clipped to the cooling fins at the back (inside) of the fridge. Is it still clipped there and the wire attached ok?

Hello, everyone, and thanks for you replies. I found a Camping Wold off I-75 near Atlanta. The tech unplugged the power cord and replaced it a few minutes later. It works great! He said excessive heat ... it's been in the mid to the high 90s ... may have caused he uncovered heating element to shut down. He installed some adhesive foil over it. The cost was well under $100. The plugs are to the left as one looks into the refrigerator compartment from thee outside. Thee white plug on top is for the ice maker and should be left alone. The refrigerator power cord is under it. I don't know if this will work in all cases, but I thought I'd pass it on anyway.

thomasamski said:
He said excessive heat ... it's been in the mid to the high 90s ... may have caused he uncovered heating element to shut down. He installed some adhesive foil over it. The cost was well under $100.

We have had a luck with the Camco solar operated exhaust/vent fan. It takes just minutes to install and helps move the hot air up and out of the stack. We live in South Texas, so we know what heat is. http://www.amazon.com/Camco-42165-Refrigerator-Solar-System/dp/B0012FEX5K/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1405165063&sr=8-1&keywords=Camco+solar+exhaust+fan

Back
Top Bottom