Registering an Imported RV in the UK

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JohnSandyWhite

:) Just an update to the process we have had to go through in order to register an RV for use in the UK. I took our all the relevant documents with me to the DVLA (Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency)  in Sheffield today, to register the RV for use in the UK (and of course Europe). They said ALL RV's need to be taken to a local VOSA (Vehicle & Operator Services Agency) station to be inspected for sizes. I made the point that this id NOT apply as our Newmar is OVER 10 years old. After a long time of discussion in the back offices. They said that if I brought the Motorhome to the DVLA on Thursday morning? They would check it out for registration suitability? I emailed DVLA in Swansea (the Head Office of DVLA) and posed the question about oversized RV's and the statement that it did NOT apply to RV's over 10 years old. In their reply. They made the same statement. We rang DVLA in Sheffield and told them what Head Office had stated in their email to me. They said. They were just going to check that our RV WAS in fact a Motorhome. They could NOT refuse to register because it was oversize under the NEW regulations.  ;D

John,

It sounds almost as efficient as dealing with the old (pre-privatization) Gas Board. Hopefully you'll come out the other end OK.

:( Update on the registration of the Newmar in the UK. They will NOT register it. Based on the fact that it is oversized. 101inches is converted to 2.56 metres. The limit is 2.55 -  :(

On the suggestion of Paul (UK-RV). I am contacting the Northern Ireland DVLA to see if I can register it there? But I don't hold out much hope. Looks like driving it to a campground in Spain and leaving it there permanently or shipping it back to the USA?  :mad:

That's bad news John, both for you and a lot of others following in your footsteps. Would you need to take it over on a ferry to register it in Northern Ireland? If they register it, presumably the registration would be valid for driving in the rest of the UK?

:) Hi Tom. I don't know whether I would need to take the RV over to NI? It was just suggestion by Paul. I shall wait and see if they reply to my email? If it was registered in NI? Then it WOULD be legal anywhere else in Europe. Let's ALL hope?  ;)

Having spent quite a bit of time replacing items for the MOT (Ministry Of Transport Test). I was lucky that I didn't have to replace ALL the tyres.  ;D

Sorry to hear about your trials. I am new to this forum, & have been travelling around US, Mexico & Canada for over a year now. We also had the intention of bringing our Diplomat home, to travel around Europe in it. When i checked ,the rules in NI were the same, since it is part of the UK & they are also ruled by Swansea. You also need to prove you live there before you can register a vehicle.

Have you tried Eire. i know a lot of people used to grey import Japanese cars through the South a few years ago because it was easier. I have also been thinking about registering in Spain.....but that could be a whole other can of worms.

When we left the UK 15 months ago this was all nice & simple. The reason we bought a Monaco was because we thought it was one of the few truly UK legal motorhomes!

Best laid plans etc.......

Graeme said:
Have you tried Eire. i know a lot of people used to grey import Japanese cars through the South a few years ago because it was easier.

When we left the UK 15 months ago this was all nice & simple. The reason we bought a Monaco was because we thought it was one of the few truly UK legal motorhomes!

:) Hi Graeme. I am in touch with Southern Ireland now asking the question. We also bought our Newmar because at the time there was no major problems with sizes. There was a dealer in Southern England who imported vastly oversized RV's. That's why they are ALL now being checked for size.  :mad:

Back
Top Bottom