Help troubleshooting water/leaking trouble

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gjoy

Having some water trouble with our 2000 Camplite by Damon pop-up!

We have had this pop-up for almost 2 years and this is the second summer we have camped with it.  We had one instance of water leaking into one of the pull out bed areas last year and thought we fixed that problem by using a level each time we set up.  Last weekend we had a heavy rain and some hail and found water dripping in.  We cannot find a hole or spot anywhere (seam included) where water would be leaking.  This weekend we found water leaking under the bed- it was a light rain and somehow ran from the top of the tent area to the bottom of the bed, into the pull out track and the casing for the cords under the bed.

We're kind of baffled as to where the water is coming from And how to stop it!  Any ideas? 

Have my version of this roof sag issue in a Toyota Mini. Roof structure is known to not be strong enough to support the weight of the AC without sag. Further, a leak developed around the AC (which turned out to be central to the fix design) as the gasket was old and failed. As I removed the AC unit, I began to wonder if both issues (leak and roof sag) could be fixed in one fell swoop. Maybe ... we'll see as my solution is built but not installed yet. First, there was some rot in the plywood around the AC hole from the leak - i removed the rot, and i'm hoping what is left is strong enough to hold. I think it is. I dried it out then glued in new pieces of 1/2" plywood with liquid nails as best i could under the rubber roof around the hole to rebuild that area and make it stronger.

Here's where the roof sag fix comes in. I built a metal frame (about $70 or $80 in metal from Lowes) that actually bolts to the bottom of the AC unit (essentially, the AC "sits" in this frame) and runs to the exterior walls. Through the design of the frame i added 1/2 and inch to an inch of height to the height at which the AC sat originally to hopefully facilitate drainage (I figure if the roof can sag an inch it can bow an inch to the upside as well, right?!). When the AC is installed, the method to the madness is that the low point in the roof will be pulled up to where the AC sits in the frame. The structural union where the roof meets the exterior walls will be stressed, but supported (held down) by the rectangular frame design. To keep any other place in the roof from failing as i "pull it up" during the AC install, i will use 2 jacks and 2x6 "t's" (one in front of the AC and one behind) across the interior width to push the roof up / support it while it's being "pulled up". I will also do this install slowly over several days hopefully to gently "train/reshape" the roof and not cause a failure anywhere. If it works, the weight of the AC will be supported and the roof reshaped with a slight bow to the upside. The frame will also serve as a "rack" on which i can load a boat, mount solar panels, etc.

One other note ... i painted the raw metal to prevent rust. Keep your fingers crossed ...

I'm a former popuper.  I never had a leak problem myself, but I used to spend a whole lot of time over at popupexplorer, and this sort of thing comes up a lot....

Sounds like your problem is in the bunk end.  Are you sure that its not a condensation problem?  Popups are known for that when you get folks inside breathing and you don't ventilate with a cracked window or two or a roof vent.....  That's my main guess.  Sometimes the bed platform forms condensate, and sometimes it forms on the tenting and runs down or even forms rain inside.....

My second guess is a canvas seam.  Hit all your seams with a seamseal, like they sell for tents.

I didn't catch what kind of popup you have.  Mine had a coated vinyl tenting.  I can't imagine it leaking, but I know that some popups have sunbrella or some other canvas type material which could be permeable, like an old tent.  Don't touch the sides, and all of that.  In that case, you could use one of the many treatments to waterproof your tenting.....

..... the previously mentioned AC was something that used to be discussed a fair bit over there, that one should periodically tighten the mount and even change the gasket form time to time.... I never did.  But your issue being on the bunk end rules that one out in mind....

Oh, a side note tip, taht might indirectly help in this case.  If you're not familiar with them, look into getting popup gizmos.  Really meant more as a thermal insulation, but I liked that it also darkened teh bunk ends, and it covered the tenting a bit....  I velcro'd mine to the inside edge of teh roof and left them permanently installed on my popup (removing the clips of course)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7199michael
Back
Top Bottom