Under Floor Heating

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cdat

Can this be done by a typical owner or does this need to be installed by a shop. I would like to replace the carpet in our 91 Newel bus and replace it with a laminate floor. Just wondering if anyone has ever installed the under floor heating and how difficult it is.
Thanks
John

I have not installed it but was looking at this site to do ours when we change the carpet.
http://www.warmfloor.com/en-us/residential-floor-heating/step-rv-heating-rv/s-motorhomes-boats-etc
I can't recommend them as I have not used them yet.

I was thinking more like this.

http://www.warmfloor.com/en-us/residential-floor-heating/step-rv-heating-rv/s-motorhomes-boats-etc

definitely for shore power use. Specs show 4 amps per foot of draw at 12 volts.

if you can run it at 230 volts as in a residential range circuit then it is pretty efficient. One drawback to underfloor heat is once it gets going it takes a long time to cool down so be careful not to locate the thermostat where there is a cold breeze or you will be opening windows to cool off.

I wanted to do the exact same thing to my RV but at the time I was ripping out carpet and replacing with tile, I just didn't have the funding, and I so wish I had been able to.

My architect grandfather had radiant warm floor heating in his custom home. It was heaven on earth! Silent operation and it radiated such a nice warmth, one could walk barefoot in the winter. As children we loved playing on the floor with our toys. It was silent and draft-less.

Warm floor heating has come miles and miles over the centuries, if you can do it, I don't think you will regret it one bit.

A bit of trivia...
Radiant floor heat was the first form of central heating used by humans. About 2000 years ago, the Romans heated villas and baths by directing flue gases from fires beneath stone slab floors.

Some companies are selling it in simple mats, the square footage of the flooring area of an RV like mine is minimal because of all the built in cabinets, dining booth, furniture etc. I still dream about this as a welcome addition. It's a shame the RV manufacturers don't consider these options.

Radiant Floor Heating:
http://www.amazon.com/s/?_encoding=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&field-keywords=radiant%20floor%20heating&linkCode=ur2&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Aradiant%20floor%20heating&tag=motorhomeandrvstore-20&url=search-alias%3Daps&linkId=4X2AB7ZJW2ATTMG7

Attachments

• radiant floor heating.jpg
    radiant floor heating.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 18
I agree that floor heating is the way to go for RVs, keeps the ambient temperature comfortable and reduces the use of the main furnace. I'm waiting on a quote so will see how expensive it works out to be with a home installation. Will post back when I hear.
John

Back
Top Bottom