Airport Security Inconveniences

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Road Runner

My only comment on it is the bad guys are winning.

flew out to Florida a few weeks ago and returned 2 weeks later and the security was hell.

I have a disablement and cannot stand comfortably for long but I had no choice as couldn't get to the front of a queue to ask for help.

What a sad world we seem to live in now.

Are there no options available for people who cannot stand in line?  What about very elderly or infirm individuals, or people with prostheses who cannot stand.

I understand the security lineups in Miami, for instance are very long.

Every airport has wheelchairs available for those that need them.  Check with your airline and request assistance.

But when you arrive and need to check in and the queue is long how do you ask for help (I couldn't) especially with the UK side of things.

You queue to check in then to enter the departure lounge.

I don't generally moan as life's to short but this was a real issue for me.

Here's some information for your next trip, from the Heathrow airport web site.

You request the assistance when you buy the ticket so it's waiting for you when you arrive at the airport.  At the termination end, they're waiting for you as you get off the plane.  Ask for help before you need it, not after.

I have always felt the terrorists have won and keep winning. It has become an excuse for the government to run amuck......airport security is only one aspect. So, the citizens keep getting kicked around. Your right Roadrunner............and it will only get worse and even more restrictions......Driver's licenses, passports, money transfers, ......oh well, we "did" have it good. Next stop Mars ::)

I actually put this posting on when I was talking about not being able to get a US bank account now sadly so it wasn't meant to be a topic header but admin moved it to it own topic (no probs ;) BTW)

I must say at our end when you hit our now (armed policed airports, something I thought I would never see) that trying to sort anything out is hell and I arrived 3 hours before my flight but after all the rig moral just made it to the flight on in time.

Thank you for the link for help and will try to follow it in the future but to be honest this new high alert in the UK has only been since the liquid bomb scare (i.e. lighter and pen) and now very restricted hand luggage.

I do however look forward to my next visit to the states as it not only proved rewarding to me but also an education into how in the US camping is actively assisted whereas in the UK most supermarkets and car parks have height restriction bars to stop even a Euro camper from entering far less staying the night.

Road Runner said:

flew out to Florida a few weeks ago and returned 2 weeks later and the security was hell.

I have a disablement and cannot stand comfortably for long but I had no choice as couldn't get to the front of a queue to ask for help.

What a sad world we seem to live in now.

I have been on several flights since 9/11 including some overseas and three in recent weeks since the lastest restrictions on liquids. I could not be more pleased with how our government is handling the hundreds of thousands of passengers.

Its fascinating to see the new equipment they have at the security checkpoints and how well they move you along. Sure there are lines sometimes but not often.

Also, my wife is severely disabled and she requires total wheel chair assistance and never has had a single problem. Its part of the ticketing process to show you need assistance.

Wow, I am proud to be an American when I see how our government is responding to the challenges of terrorism.

Bob

I actually put this posting on when I was talking about not being able to get a US bank account now sadly so it wasn't meant to be a topic header but admin moved it to it own topic

I felt the subject you introduced was an interesting and potentially informative one and would have been lost in the thread under bank accounts. ?This way more people have the opportunity to share their experiences and comments.

Thanks for bringing up a very good topic! :)

Wow, I am proud to be an American when I see how our government is responding to the challenges of terrorism
...yep, and we pay for it ;) Other countries have also done an excellent job...thanks to the terrorists ::) We will never be what we were, and it is a shame. Imagine 100 years from now :eek:

Road Runner said:
.....at our end when you hit our now (armed policed airports, something I thought I would never see).....

John, FWIW I've seen armed police as the norm in Heathrow for many years, at least in the international terminals. Might be that they're more visible than they used to be. But I agree, it's sad to see.

Road Runner said:

One of the problems is I'm not always convinced as to who the bad guys are.

Oh, yes, Bin-Laden and his followers, and in fact all those mis-lead folks who think there is glory in killing others, they are bad

But then we have others who are just as bad, but who are, like the above, claming glory as well, just a different kind.

Rather than start a fight, I'm not going to mention names.

But I do agree, when we sacrafice rights in the name of security

1: The bad guys win

2: We are deserving of neither rights (including freedoms) nor security

No, the bad guy does not always win ..... nor may the person with the most toys upon demise consider themselves the winner .... Sad to say that many of us seem to take a prone position with flower upon chest and x's over our eyes.? ?I have, and; despise the fact that I did.

In my opinion this country is doing the best it can for our security.? Oh yes, it definitely borders upon inconvenient ---- however, as inconvenient as it may seem; these actions are done for the benefit of all.? Not just yourself and myself but each human being that is traveling in our universe that we may have some ability to assist.? ?

Inconvenience?? In the recent past rather than bringing my service animal along on a trip and going through the additional *wuupdedooodahs* necessary I have left him at home.? Fact is, the travel would have been much better had I tried to stay within my norm understanding that it would take just a bit longer to process through the line and achieve my final goal.?

Why did I do that?? I did not want to rock boats.?? I felt as though "we" assist animal and I --- were resented.?? I did not like to be the thorn in the flesh of the trip. Fact could be ..... bringing my service dog would be just one more thing I have to go through, and others would have to wait for.? No biggie, but a definite Inconvenience.

As to inconvenience, perhaps many of us are going overboard trying to not be the perpetrators of such.? When the "inconvenience occurs due to a protective factor, is it really that inconvenient?? This is a question that goes both ways --- to the providers and the receivers of such.? In trying to keep the Inconvenience on the lessor of the scale, I commited myself to a tragedy of being without needed assistance on my trip.? This should never occur again.

I really do not know what else to say other than I feel at this time if we do not stand for the things we truly need and bend for the things that may help us in the long run this is when we need to question inconvenience.? ? ?

By the way, is there any toilet paper out there.? I seem to be out.  Now That is inconvenient.

No probs admin ;) ;) ;)

I am extremely proud on the UK & USA for all the security issues as I don't wish to be blown up or injured or to hear of any other poor sole being so.

If this is to be a permanent feature we must adapt our airports to deal with it.

A lady if front of me in the departure lounge queue flight had flown an hour earlier sadly (she had tried to jump the queue)

Maybe now the departure lounge should call travellers in when flights are due to fly rather than let anyone in who was due to fly that day after check in even if their flight were to depart many hours in the future?  This might cut down the departure lounge problem?

Back
Top Bottom