Gel-coat or not, that is the question.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

adun015

I guess maybe I assumed I was dealing with fiberglass with a gel-coat and after reading up on some older posts now I'm questioning myself.
I have the all fiberglass body and was sure that it would have a gel-coat. The gel-coat being very dull, watermarked, streaked and light scuffing/scratchs,  I have purchased two Mequiars #4965 Marine/RV fiberglass restoration kit's as well as a DA 6" polish/buffer. Now after trying to brush up on some techniques on the forum I started seeing where some fiberglass MH's had some painted surfaces. I would like to  know if mine ( 2001 Itasca Horizon 36cd ) has the gel - coat and am I heading down the right road to get the dull finish and imperfections out and back to a shine. Is there a way I can test it,  or have I just bought a bunch of stuff that is not going to work. Curious minds want to know on a painted fiberglass surface.
I put in a couple of pictures for determination.

Attachments

• 2001 Itasca 3.jpg
    2001 Itasca 3.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 55
  • ).jpg
    ).jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 53
There is a chance you have both.  The white being the gelcoat the the brown paint.  Best way to find out is contact Winnebago and give the VIN or Coach number and ask for the build sheet.

Most likely the white is fiberglass (technically, not "gel coat") and the colors are painted fiberglass. Might even have a decal or two for the colors on the sidewall above the beltline.

The front and rear caps are usually actual gel coated fiberglass, but the sidewalls are typically a fiberglass sheet called "filon" or some similar product. And sometimes the white filon has a clear coat paint over it. Best to call Winnebago and ask.

The "fiberglass restoration" product is merely a polish that has extra grit in it to remove an oxidized surface. It works on paint as well, if the paint is indeed oxidized or has a lot of surface scratches. Just be careful not to run right through the paint. But I would try a polish intended for an automotive paint finish on the colored parts and see if i can be brightened up without quite such an aggressive polish as your kit.

Gary,
There are some decals and I can feel what I at first thought was a decal but may be a paint line.
I have requested the build sheet from Winnebago or at least if they can confirm exterior for me.
Will update when I receive an answer.

I use Collinite #870 Liquid Fleet Wax Boat&RVs, and a Porter cable 7424XP automotive polisher on mine. It does a very good job. I've tried regular automotive waxs without very much success, just doesn't work well imho. Don't think it'll ever look new again, but it does shine up pretty good, if done a couple times a year. I use a spray applicator on the wax, using just enough to keep the pad wet, then buff it off with an old towel.

Back
Top Bottom